Normal Topic Interesting Polygraph Experience (Read 3066 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BigE
New User

Interesting Polygraph Experience
Jul 18th, 2007 at 6:37pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently took a PG test for an application with local LE organization. This test was different than anything else I have read about on this website. There was no stim test, and rather than giving me a long speech about how accurate the polygraph is, the examiner actually told me that there can be false positives when people are nervous or unsure about the test. He then read me the 15 questions he was going to ask me. The first two were my name and whether I intended to tell the truth. All the remaining questions were relevant. There was not a single probable lie or directed lie question. After the first run he asked me if I thought of anything else I needed to tell him and when I said no, he repeated the same 15 questions, in the same order. That was it. No post test interrogation either.

Lest anyone asks, this definitely was a polygraph: two pneumo tubes, blood pressure cuff, and two sensors on my fingers. However, there was also a microphone on the desk.

What kind of test was this and how are you supposed to increase your chances of passing when there aren't any control questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Interesting Polygraph Experience
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 5:18am
This technique seems to be a home-brewed variation on the relevant/irrelevant "test." The polygrapher was likely looking for significant reactions to any of the relevant questions. A number of applicants for employment with small police departments have reported encountering a similar polygraph technique, where a list of relevant questions is read, each beginning "Did you lie about..." followed by a relevant topic from a pre-polygraph questionnaire.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kalex
New User

Re: Interesting Polygraph Experience
Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 9:44am
I have seen a Screening Test, that comprises approximately 15 questions
Approx 12 Relevants and a couple of Controls.
Its was usually used as a screening test. One or two charts.
Not very popular as the efficacy thereof is low.
I think it was first devised and used in the security industries prior to EPPA

IP Logged

Interesting Polygraph Experience

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X