Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Firefighter Pre-Employment Poly Soon:CQT (Read 11680 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Firefighter Pre-Employment Poly Soon:CQT
Reply #15 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 4:53am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Quote:
so then what are questions such as is the room blue... and are examinees always supposed to lie to these???

That's an example of an irrelevant question, and a truthful answer is expected. See Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for a detailed explanation of polygraph procedure.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 10:10am
Quote:
the alien people were very welcoming... 

so then what are questions such as is the room blue... and are examinees always supposed to lie to these???

"Is the room blue?" - Is an Irrelevant Question (IQ) aka a 'Known Truth'
question. IE - you are obviously sitting in the room, so you know whether its
blue or whatever colour. Your answer to that Q will be a known truth to both
you and the examiner. 

However, it sounds more like a VSA IQ than a P/G IQ.
VSA IQ's and CQ's (as practised by VSA only examiners)
are generally bordering on the ridiculous.

Lastly, I think you are simply having a bit of fun here.
Methinks you are an examiner.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PussyLiquor
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 4:08am
No no guys... I am no examiner... I am trying to learn as much about the poly as possible because after reading georges story and many others I decided to support the movement toward the obliteration of these terrible devices!!!! 

All three polys I have taken... 2 serious... once practice with no consequences I have beat... but only barely. I want to learn more. I could swear that on my first (administered by a state LE agency for a sworn position) I heard him tell me to lie to the color in the room to see how my lies look on paper.... you guys are telling me the opposite... please explain

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Administrator
Administrator

Reply #18 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 4:04pm
Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jkf1007

Reply #19 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 6:25pm
took a polygraph for an opening with a local fire department.  the results showed a deception which was not true!  this info was included in the Civil Service Commission's meeting minutes which were posted on-line.  are they allowed to do this?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #20 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 6:36pm
Quote:
took a polygraph for an opening with a local fire department.  the results showed a deception which was not true!  this info was included in the Civil Service Commission's meeting minutes which were posted on-line.  are they allowed to do this?

How did this come about? Did you have an appeal hearing before the commission?

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jkf1007

Reply #21 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 6:39pm
Poly was part of the pre-employment testing.  the minutes listed applicants that were to be removed from the eligible list due to "deception on the polygraph."  minutes were posted on-line

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #22 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 6:48pm
jkf1007,

It seems highly inappropriate to me for a civil service commission to publicly brand job applicants as liars in this manner. (Whether it's legal is another question, the answer to which I do not know.) Of course, it's inappropriate to begin with that applicants for any job should be required to "pass" such a thoroughly discredited and invalid "test" as the polygraph to begin with. This is an issue that you might want to take up with your city representatives and the local news desks of newspapers, radio, and television stations in your city.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #23 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 2:23pm
Quote:
took a polygraph for an opening with a local fire department.  the results showed a deception which was not true!  this info was included in the Civil Service Commission's meeting minutes which were posted on-line.  are they allowed to do this?

I thought the poly was allowed for only law enforcement and national security purposes, not firefighters.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #24 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 3:08pm
nopolycop wrote on Mar 13th, 2009 at 2:23pm:
I thought the poly was allowed for only law enforcement and national security purposes, not firefighters.

The federal Employee Polygraph Protection Act of 1988 incudes a blanket exemption for federal, state, and local governments. So any state, county, or municipal agency can require polygraph screening of any and all employees, unless otherwise restricted by law (for example, under Minnesota law, state and local agencies are prohibited from polygraph screening of applicants and employees).

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #25 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 9:29pm
George W. Maschke wrote on Mar 13th, 2009 at 3:08pm:

The federal Employee Polygraph Protection Act of 1988 incudes a blanket exemption for federal, state, and local governments. So any state, county, or municipal agency can require polygraph screening of any and all employees, unless otherwise restricted by law (for example, under Minnesota law, state and local agencies are prohibited from polygraph screening of applicants and employees).

George is correct as usual. Any government employee or applicant for such a positions can be polygraphed legally. 

This means that barring a local union contract with a stipulation prohibiting the practice of polygraphy, even the public works guys who fix holes in the street and plumb leaky faucets can be put "on the box" for any reason at the whim of management.

IP Logged

Firefighter Pre-Employment Poly Soon:CQT

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X