Normal Topic should I even try (Read 6358 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box watreiler12
New User

should I even try
Feb 8th, 2007 at 4:47am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi all, i am a bit down in the dumps i am 22 years old and i am a senior at a nationally accredited university.  i wanted to go into government law enforcement to work with a focus in the national parks. i just found out about this polygraph testing held with most if not all federal law enforcement positions. Although i have a clean record i have smoked marijuana in the past, as recent as 8 mths ago i do not use it habitually 2-3 times per year if that. I have stolen from employers when i was younger 18-19 with money accumulating in the thousands over the years. I have even stolen from mini-markets (candy bars and such) can someone please tell me if i am waisting my time trying to get into the national park service law enforcement.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Re: should I even try
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 4:18am
watreiler12,

Smoking marijuana within the past 8 months, stealing money from previous employers totaling in the thousands of dollars, and admittedly stealing candy bars and other inventory from mini-markets is certainly not a desirable trait that any employer seeks in potential job applicants. 

What may I ask have you done to reform from the described activities in which you reference? Although I'm certainly no advocate of polygraph testing, your past activities are exactly what the polygraph community are trying to keep out of LE agencies.

Good luck.

triple x

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 4:55am
i have done absolutely nothing to change it, but to make a mends to myself and to be truthful. I realize that if i want to pursue a career in law enforcement i will need to shape up.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 5:04am
watreiler12,

I admire your honesty and candor. The main thing is that you recognize the previous conduct in which you demonstrated was wrong, and try to learn from your mistakes. 

Good luck.

triple x

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 5:33am
well i appreciate your actually trying to help me. is there any advice you can give me regarding "the test" or should i find another career to go into. i dont want to put my focus on something if there is no possible way i can get to it.
-thanks watreiler

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 7:03am
watreiler12,

I certainly do not want to discourage anyone from following their dreams... you have simply made some mistakes in life, and to some degree, we have all made mistakes. I would not suggest that you give-up on your hopes, however. I would suggest that you download and read "TLBTLD" which is available on this web site and read it carefully.  The more familiar you are with how polygraph testing works, or don't work, the better off you are. The most important thing you should know about polygraph exams, is that they are not reliable. 

Read TLBTLD… and good luck.

triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box exssg
New User

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 7:31pm
Try to find out if the National Park service or the agency you're interested in gives a polygraph. This shouldn't be hard to do as someone in recruitment should tell you.
     As far as the pot goes. Wait a year or two to put some time between you and your drug usage. Recent drug use would be seen as a disqualifier. As far as the stealing goes, If they give a poly, you have a problem. If they don't give one as long as you have no convictions or they don't talk to your friends who have knowledge of this you should be home free.....

IP Logged

should I even try

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X