Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Re: Question for LieBabyCryBaby (Read 10804 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Re: Question for LieBabyCryBaby
Jan 27th, 2007 at 2:30am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
fender85 wrote on Jan 25th, 2007 at 11:16pm:
Hey,

I got a question for you, on control questions such as "Have you ever lied to a loved one?", it is expected that you say no so the polygrapher can have a good idea of what your spikes look like. If I were asked this question I would say yes, who hasn't lied to a loved one? What will this do, and if a polygrapher expects you to say no on something like that, how can he expect you to be honest?

Ok, I will reply to this, even though I think I've addressed this question previously.

Yes, to the question "Have you ever lied to a loved one?" the polygrapher expects you to lie, or at least be unsure of your answer. But it isn't quite that simple. Before even asking you this question, the polygrapher will make you feel like anyone who WOULD lie to loved ones can not be trusted to be truthful with those he/she does not love, such as a boss, an acquaintance, an attorney, or a co-worker. A person whose loved ones can't trust him/her obviously can't be trusted by anyone else, right? And if you can't even be trusted by your loved ones, then you obviously can't be a truthful person, and therefore we don't want you working for our police department. We only hire those whom we think we can trust, not those whose loved ones can not even trust him/her.

Do you see how this works? I don't think I can be more clear than that.

Now, if a person insists on admitting that he/she DOES lie to loved ones, and therefore, by implication, is NOT the kind of person our department wants to hire, then it is up to me, the polygrapher, to make the subject feel like crap because they have lied to loved ones in the past, and to get them to admit that such horrible behavior is not an ongoing habit, but rather a one-time thing, or something they only did when they were a small child and didn't know any better.

Some people think that polygraphers don't care about lying behavior, as long as the subject hasn't done any of the really bad things such as use drugs, reveal secret information, commit felonies, etc.  But actually we DO frown upon subjects whose life habits include lying to bosses, cheating, stealing office supplies, falsifying work hours, etc.  And I think such habitual behavior might actually affect some polygrapher's judgment of a subject. However, for the purposes of the polygraph exam and hiring decisions, usually only the really bad things in a person's history will be seriously considered, not the "minor" infractions, even if such infractions have been committed frequently.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 9:40pm
Well, coming to this website prior to taking the polygraph has only done you a disservice. There are certain ideal conditions for a polygraph, and there are certain things that should be present for the polygrapher to establish a good psychological base in the test subject. Unfortunately, when a test subject is told that the polygrapher is actually only interested in specific questions on the test and not others, then the subject tends to focus very intently on only those questions. I believe that this may often lead  to a "self-fulfilling prophecy" of failure, because "comparision question" tests are built on the principle of comparison . . . comparison of some questions against others. Therefore, if you are only concerned about particular questions, those are the ones where the polygraph is very likely to show the most response.

One saving grace we experienced polygraphers have is that we know--BY EXPERIENCE--and I keep on harping about this despite many of the "anti-" people's disregard for experience--that when an examinee is realling "hitting on" ALL of the questions throughout the exam, with little or no normal habituation or variability of response, that things just aren't right. When this occurs, we know--or at least we have a BIG preponderance of the evidence--that the examinee is messing around on the test.

So, when an examinee is told that only particular questions really matter, and that he/she can overcome this through countermeasures, I believe a disservice has been done. I believe that most of the people who will fail an exam because they have been oversensitized to particular questions, and most of the people who are caught using countermeasures they've been told will help them, would have passed the exam without any problems had they not come to this website.

Anyway, despite all of this, I hope you have a good polygrapher and that you pass the test.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 1:20am
fender85 wrote on Jan 28th, 2007 at 12:22am:
I really believed this site has helped in calming my nerves overall and preparing me for the test. I am a person who likes to have control of the situation, if I would of went into this test with no knowledge of how it works, I could possibly and more likely have been nervous. I have learned how it works, I have learned the truths and lies, that relaxes me. And it has'nt really de-sensitized me to any of the questions, I plan to be  honest. . . . 

Fender, there is such a thing as "optimal nervousness" in a polygraph exam. Much of what a polygraph examiner does and says during the interview before the exam is intended to make sure that you aren't too nervous, but that you are also not too relaxed. Take away all nervousness, and you take away the stimulus necessary to pass the exam. If an examinee is just too relaxed and carefree, he/she is apt to come up inconclusive on the exam. Some people here on this forum might tell you that coming up inconclusive is a good thing. However, there are a couple reasons why this is not true: First, if you are the person in charge of choosing between two job applicants who took polygraphs, and one passed it and the other one came up inconclusive--all other things being equal--and you have to choose between them, isn't it human nature to choose the one who is beyond doubt rather than the one who is in the gray?  Second, if you come up inconclusive because you were too relaxed and carefree during the exam due to knowledge of the exam process, chances are you would have passed the exam without trouble, assuming you had nothing serious to hide in the first place.

I am glad that you have good intentions and don't plan to lie during the exam. Hopefully you don't have anything serious to lie about. But I would be a bit concerned if I were your polygrapher and you came into the exam feeling too relaxed and carefree, because I know there is an optimal level of nervous arousal in a polygraph exam.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 11:18am
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Jan 28th, 2007 at 1:20am:

Fender, there is such a thing as "optimal nervousness" in a polygraph exam. Much of what a polygraph examiner does and says during the interview before the exam is intended to make sure that you aren't too nervous, but that you are also not too relaxed. Take away all nervousness, and you take away the stimulus necessary to pass the exam. If an examinee is just too relaxed and carefree, he/she is apt to come up inconclusive on the exam. Some people here on this forum might tell you that coming up inconclusive is a good thing. However, there are a couple reasons why this is not true: First, if you are the person in charge of choosing between two job applicants who took polygraphs, and one passed it and the other one came up inconclusive--all other things being equal--and you have to choose between them, isn't it human nature to choose the one who is beyond doubt rather than the one who is in the gray?  Second, if you come up inconclusive because you were too relaxed and carefree during the exam due to knowledge of the exam process, chances are you would have passed the exam without trouble, assuming you had nothing serious to hide in the first place.

I am glad that you have good intentions and don't plan to lie during the exam. Hopefully you don't have anything serious to lie about. But I would be a bit concerned if I were your polygrapher and you came into the exam feeling too relaxed and carefree, because I know there is an optimal level of nervous arousal in a polygraph exam.

Fender,

I am the one that LBCB speaks of,  on the inconclusive from too much polygraph knowlege. And in a polygraphers own words, verifies this concept. Be relaxed and use the knowlege gleaned here. But contrary to LBCB beliefs, by nullifying the polygraph and polygrapher, it forces the decision back to where it belongs. Based on your background investigation. Which is the way it is supposed to be. Much success to you.

Regards ...

-----------------------------

LBCB,

Thanks for verifying my concept and the end result of too much polygraph knowlege being inconclusive.  But on the contrary, this is actually a good thing as it eliminates the polygraph from the equation. And puts it back into a decision making venue outside of a polygraphers opinion. But the danger is at what point do you become frustrated knowing full well that the more polygraphs given, the more comfortable the subject becomes. I do believe the answer is 5, after that any responsiveness is gone. As is any fear. Which for any polygrapher is the worst case scenario. And whether or not its a grey area, the rules do say that you must fail to be eliminated. Inconclusive is not a fail. Should a subject be  removed from a hiring procedure because of inconclusive, I do believe the subject would have definate grounds for bias in hiring. Unlike other attempts of law suits, I do believe this one would stick. The bottom line is it will again fall back to the background investigation and true supporting data for the decision. Not the polygraph which is expedient and a cheap way to get rid of candidates. Do keep up the quality posts, as your stock on this board has greatly increased. 

Regards ...

----

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2007 at 1:41pm
Guys, Guys, Guys.
Please stop.
My brain hurts.
This is all bulls**t baffles brains stuff.
All this psych0-techno-babble is never going
to turn polygraphy into a cience.

Lissen Up Good: Too Many VARIABLES.......

Take up a satisfying hobby instead.
Count leaves.
Lick stamps
Watch paint dry.... anything.
Come on, you know you want to.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lethe
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2007 at 11:06pm
LieBabyCryBaby, it seems that you are pretty close to saying that having knowledge of how the polygraph really works decreases its accuracy.  Perhaps you would be willing to answer the following question to clarify the matter:

Does the accuracy of a polygraph exam decrease if the subject has knowledge of how the exam really works?

Logically, having knowledge either decreases accuracy or doesn't decrease accuracy, thus the answer to the above must be either yes or no, "neither" and "both" are logically impossible answers (you can't have "X and Not X" at the same time).

You might want to see my other post, written as a parody, on this topic.

Is former APA President Skip Webb evil or just stupid?

Is former APA President Ed Gelb an idiot or does the polygraph just not work?

Did you know that polygrapher Sackett doesn't care about detecting deception to relevant questions?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2007 at 11:41am
Upon further reflection, I'd like to point out that I don't think LieBabyCryBaby's response solves the problem of non-ignorant examinees.  He said, in relevant part:

Quote:
Before even asking you this question [the control, if you've ever lied to a loved one], the polygrapher will make you feel like anyone who WOULD lie to loved ones can not be trusted to be truthful with those he/she does not love, such as a boss, an acquaintance, an attorney, or a co-worker. A person whose loved ones can't trust him/her obviously can't be trusted by anyone else, right? And if you can't even be trusted by your loved ones, then you obviously can't be a truthful person, and therefore we don't want you working for our police department.

I think the following we can all take as facts:

1. All people have lied to a loved one (in fact, the question assumes that is the case) and
     2. Police departments employ people.

These two premises lead to this conclusion:

3. Therefore, police departments employ people who have lied to loved ones.

And we thus arrive at this conclusion:

4. Therefore lying to a loved one is not an automatic disqualification to work for the police.

The rationale that you are proffering to your examinee, LieBabyCryBaby, does not withstand even moderate scrutiny.  At this point, the intelligent subject who is actually taking her exam seriously and thinking about your instructions would probably be quite confused and wondering why you are feeding her this sophistry.

Here is a suggestion: you would have a better time getting people to buy that stuff if you banned Adventures of Huckleberry Finn from schools.  The very first paragraph of that greatest of American novels has Huck saying "I never seen anybody but lied, one time or another..."  But, alas, even that wouldn't work; everyone knows that everyone has told a lie.  Only an imbecile or someone who isn't thinking critically could ever believe that the hundreds of thousands of police officers and government employees in this country never told lies.  And do we really want imbeciles and people who don't think critically going around with guns protecting us and examining ambiguous intelligence data?

Did you know that polygrapher Sackett doesn't care about detecting deception to relevant questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box palerider
Senior User

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2007 at 1:22am
"Have you ever lied to someone you loved" was a really neato control question in 1961. Control questions by savy examiners are far less sanctimonious.  -----regards Grin

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2007 at 11:55am
REPLY TO PALERIDER:

Hi there. You attempt to sound academic but actually fail miserably bro.
Firstly, savy is spelled: savvy.
Then: Why would the 1961 question be at all 'sanctimonious' ?
(def: self righteous / pious / holier-than-thou ) ?????

What / whose CQ's do you generally utilise ? Reid / Backster ??
When testing a subject for a theft issue, do you use theft as the
subject of your CQ's. Do you use D/Lie CQ's - plse elucidate.

I'm immensely interested to receive your reply.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2007 at 1:58pm
Quote:
REPLY TO PALERIDER:

1st, this is a written message board, so "sounding" like anything is impossible----as there are no sounds. Also, is "bro" a word? What does "plse" mean? Taking your tactic of playing the grammer snob on what amounts to being a graffiti board is cool man. I understood your post without grammer/spelling perfections and you understood mine.  I've never stated that polygraph is perfect. I do spot goofy countermeasures on a regular basis---and the tests are usually deemed as inconclusive. Like in Statement Analysis, even a fool can write uncharacteristicly (sp!) of themselves with any number of countermeasures---and then take a poop on the piece of paper for good measure---which results in that discipline's own form of inconclusive. Wow, real sophisticated stuff. That doesn't negate the fact that if you have a good reputation as an SA expert, that I wouldn't recommend you for hire. I would recommend you if you are as talented as you indicate. More importantly, I do not have a hard-on for S.A. despite the fact that such vulnerabilities and "nebulousness" exist. Why do you have such negative feelings for my chosen vulnerable and nebulous field. Is it personal?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #10 - May 25th, 2007 at 4:35am
Palerider, you didn't respond to my argument at all.   

In a probable lie control question exam the control questions all ask about things that it is assumed that virtually everyone has done.  When you're conducting an exam you're still basically saying "Do you remember ever having done this bad thing that everyone has done?  If so, you can't work here.  And neither can anyone else who's ever done that. And, since everyone has done that bad thing, no one is qualified to work here, if I'm telling the truth."

Anyway, if your current techniques are so much more sophisticated, why don't you share them with us so that we can have the confidence in the polygraph that you do and will support it's use against sex offenders?  After all, you will claim that knowledge of the polygraph doesn't decrease accuracy, right?  So you have no reason not to tell us and good reason to do so.

But I'll cut the crap.  I think that you know for a fact and I believe with a high degree of certainty that knowledge of the polygraph decreases its accuracy.  If that is a false statement, then post a message saying that, as a properly trained and qualified practicing polygrapher, you agree with the following statements, or as many of them as you can assent to:

• Knowledge of the polygraph does not effect accuracy at all;
  • Deceiving the subject of a polygraph exam in any way is never necessary to produce acceptably accurate results;
  • The lies and deception used by some polygraphers are superfluous and have no effective purpose; OR
  • The lies and deception used by some polygraphers does have a purpose and it is _______

Again, if knowledge of the polygraph does not decrease accuracy you have no reason not to tell us and very good reasons to answer the questions herein.  If you can't answer the questions, please tell us why.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 25th, 2007 at 1:48pm
palerider wrote on May 23rd, 2007 at 1:58pm:
Quote:
REPLY TO PALERIDER:

1st, this is a written message board, so "sounding" like anything is impossible----as there are no sounds. Also, is "bro" a word? What does "plse" mean? Taking your tactic of playing the grammer snob on what amounts to being a graffiti board is cool man. I understood your post without grammer/spelling perfections and you understood mine.  I've never stated that polygraph is perfect. I do spot goofy countermeasures on a regular basis---and the tests are usually deemed as inconclusive. Like in Statement Analysis, even a fool can write uncharacteristicly (sp!) of themselves with any number of countermeasures---and then take a poop on the piece of paper for good measure---which results in that discipline's own form of inconclusive. Wow, real sophisticated stuff. That doesn't negate the fact that if you have a good reputation as an SA expert, that I wouldn't recommend you for hire. I would recommend you if you are as talented as you indicate. More importantly, I do not have a hard-on for S.A. despite the fact that such vulnerabilities and "nebulousness" exist. Why do you have such negative feelings for my chosen vulnerable and nebulous field. Is it personal?

Ha Ha - dont you make it personal now....tsk tsk.
I have many yrs experience in several DOD techniques/technologies.
Personal experience - not anecdotal BS that i heard in the mess or the local
watering hole. Statement Analysis in it's various disciplines is THE only accurate
and scientific DOD technique/technology.
Ever heard of criminal psychologist - Prof Udo Undeutsch of Koln Uni in Germany? He is also an APA
member. He has a story to tell about p/g. Essentially it was rejected by the German legal system
as an invalid and unscientific DOD methodology.

However, SA has been mandated into the German legal system since the early 50's.
Chew that bone big dog.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 25th, 2007 at 2:01pm
PALERIDER......HELLOOOO SURFS UP KIDDO......

You didn't answer my question iro CQ's..?
Plse do. 
Come on. dont be shy...

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #13 - May 30th, 2007 at 10:18pm
CQ's. hmmm. If you want to discuss and rant about polygraph shortcomings---I'm there man---- just not here----as this isn't a professional setting. I doubt that practitioners of other polarizing and nebulous fields of study i.e. forensic psychologists, SA analysts, cvsa folks etc. (see impressionistic studies) would care to debate mechanics on anti-anything websites. I do plenty of ranting against my profession and enjoy lampooning polygraph examiners who listen to tape recordings of their own voice in their cars. Show me any group of analysts of any trade, and I'll show you a group of dweebs with bad hair wearing "big-boy pants."I will also add that I'm no kiddo. For a guy who claims to have ran "thousands of tests" and then in another thread state that you have "dabbled"in polygraph----is well, I guess a little unusual. The reason why I haven't answered is that I was running tests out of town. I too have ran thousands of tests (whoopie). I am a "moderate to liberal" regarding poly usage for official purposes---that is---I don't worship anything, much less the falible but very usefull polygraph. You've been (apparently) too obsessed with the narcissistic poly "giants" who don't speak for us all. Show me a Geraldo and I'll show you 10 unknown iron toothed real journalists in the field. My favorite newspaper makes mistakes all the time---but I'll take a newspaper over no newspaper. Polygraph is a keeper too. Also, please take a dueche with the "kiddo" HS.  Wink

p.s. I don't parrot cq's from school----nor do I talk shop in front of sex offenders and people who want to cheat on personality tests (can you believe that recent thread???) 1904, why don't you rant on our professional forums rather than this Rocky Horror Picture Show of a graffiti board?

p.s.s Regarding the DOD. I asked many professional intel folks if they knew the difference between Shia and Sunni muslims back in 2002 (the "lead-up") and let's just say that -----I'm not impressed. I've met beat cops in Detroit that knew more about Arabic culture. yah sara (what a pity) Angry

p.s.s.s You are wrong about Germany's use of polygraph. Just because Germany, and the UK don't value the APA as the end all doesn't mean that they don't have polygraph programs in use in their respective intel ministries. I like their more low key approach to the practice. If you had ever worked with those agencies---or even NATO--you would know better than to state otherwise. 1904, you lost points with me on that one "tubby." Grin

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2007 at 11:35pm by palerider »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box underlyingtruth
Very Senior User

Reply #14 - May 31st, 2007 at 3:08am
It is impossible to cheat on a test designed to detected deception if that test is in fact a valid test.  Thanks for, once again, verifying your own lack of confidence in the polygraph.

IP Logged

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X