Normal Topic Dual Citizenship + Commission USMC - HELP!! (Read 7641 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Carlos
New User

Dual Citizenship + Commission USMC - HELP!!
Jan 13th, 2007 at 6:18am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
To whom ever can give me an honest and no BS assessment of my situation…

After being accepted to OCS I was informed I wouldn’t receive a commission due to my status as a Dual citizen (with Spain) unless I renounced my Spanish Citizenship, evidently you need Top Secret Clearance to become a 2nd Lt. Needless to say I was honest enough to let them know my status, though fellow friends of mine in the military instructed me to keep my mouth shut since I have a US passport and never mention my Spanish citizenship.

What I don’t understand is the following…Why would the Military require me to drop my Spanish citizenship and not grant me my commission when the CIA or State Department (I had one of many hiring process interviews with both agencies) insisted that my status as a dual citizen would not hinder my employment possibilities as long as my background check showed no direct preference or alliance towards Spain than the US. In other words I could maintain both citizenships eventhough their security clearances are a lot more "sensitve" than nearly all USMC MOS's.

Another question, what exactly constitutes renouncing my citizenship from Spain? Do I write a letter? Not use my passport while in the Marine Corps? No one has specifically told me how to renounce my citizenship if I hypothetically decide to do that. Is there any appeal system or waiver I can use to get into the Marines with both citizenships? maybe contact the armed forces committee or a congressmen, even DOD?

I’m currently trying to finally fulfill my dream of becoming a Marine Officer before heading to the DEA or CIA and would like to take care of this problem before OCS begins in the summer.

Thank you so much and sorry for how long this was!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FutureCopIhope1337
New User

Re: Dual Citizenship + Commission USMC - HELP!!
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 4:54am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
There are many sensitive MOS / Ratings which require you to hold a Top Sec. Clearance. As a requirement, yes, you must be a citizen of the U.S. only. If you want to become only a U.S. Citizen and not a dual citizen, I would contact an embassy of some sort and see if they can help you. I don't know how to cancel my dual citizenship since I only have U.S. Citizenship.

The military thinks that if you are a dual citizen, somehow you are going to leak information out if you got some high technical or intelligence analyst job. That is just how it is.

This may or may not be the case, just it is a requirement, and you will have to cancel your citizenship with Spain or request a different MOS somewhere that doesn't require a Top Secret Clearance.

Eric

IP Logged

Dual Citizenship + Commission USMC - HELP!!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X