Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) FBI and Arabic Recruitment (Read 11331 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

FBI and Arabic Recruitment
Dec 5th, 2006 at 5:33am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
George,

Not sure where this link would go on your website, but it's interesting. You see, I am aware that sometimes, when the Government really needs a rare skill, they will overlook things like a shady background. I wonder if the FBI would overlook a failed polygraph to get the obvious skills that they need.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16042604/

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

Re: FBI and Arabic Recruitment
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 5:54am
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Dec 5th, 2006 at 5:33am:
George,

Not sure where this link would go on your website, but it's interesting. You see, I am aware that sometimes, when the Government really needs a rare skill, they will overlook things like a shady background. I wonder if the FBI would overlook a failed polygraph to get the obvious skills that they need.

Not to speak for George, but if they allow him to return to FBI service, it would be a tacit admission that their polygraph unit is flawed. Given this administration's unwillingness to admit they made a mistake and the FBI's past history, it's doubtful...

But it would be nice for them to abandon this pseudoscience...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 8:13am
George,

This is indeed an interesting article. But it doesn't suggest that the FBI is routinely overlooking "shady backgrounds" or failed polygraphs (a shady pseudoscience) to hire people with Arabic language skills. In fact, I have heard from numerous Arabic-speaking FBI applicants who maintain that they were falsely branded as liars by their polygraphers and wrongly disqualified.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Meangino
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 8:57am
George,

LBCB, would you desire to work for an organization (or company) who treated you as shabbily as the FBI treated Mr. Maschke?  I wouldn't.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 10:03am
Quote:

This is indeed an interesting article. But it doesn't suggest that the FBI is routinely overlooking "shady backgrounds" or failed polygraphs (a shady pseudoscience) to hire people with Arabic language skills. In fact, I have heard from numerous Arabic-speaking FBI applicants who maintain that they were falsely branded as liars by their polygraphers and wrongly disqualified.

George,

Do you know if the FBI keeps statistics on the demographics on those who fail its employment screening through polygraph, background checks, etc.? It might show bias against certain types of individuals. My university department is looking into bias in police traffic stops, our methodology could easily be exported into other arenas...

I'm finally done with classes this semester and only studying for prelims next semester, so I might see what I can get from the FBI regarding employment statistics then. Could be an interesting topic and easily made into a academic paper if the data exist...

Given their 20% failure rate, I wonder what would shake out...

regards,

digithead

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Meangino
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 11:52am
digithead wrote on Dec 6th, 2006 at 10:03am:

Given their 20% failure rate, I wonder what would shake out...

Digithead, in May 2002 Mr. Maschke posted a link to an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer that reports 50% of FBI applicants don't pass the polygraph "test."  Unfortunately, the link embedded in his post is invalid and it appears the subject article is no longer available online at this point.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 12:54pm
digithead,

I do not know whether the FBI keeps statistics on the demographics of those who fail the polygraph, background investigation, or other stages of the hiring process (such as Phase I and Phase II testing). As Meangino pointed out, the FBI special agent pre-employment polygraph failure rate rose from about 20% pre-9/11 to about 50% post-9/11. How do you suppose that happened?

You might be interested in a suppressed racial bias study conducted at the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute suggesting that innocent blacks may be more likely to wrongly fail the polygraph than innocent whites:

https://antipolygraph.org/documents/dodpi-racial-bias-study.pdf

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 3:23pm
Quote:
digithead,

I do not know whether the FBI keeps statistics on the demographics of those who fail the polygraph, background investigation, or other stages of the hiring process (such as Phase I and Phase II testing). As Meangino pointed out, the FBI special agent pre-employment polygraph failure rate rose from about 20% pre-9/11 to about 50% post-9/11. How do you suppose that happened?

You might be interested in a suppressed racial bias study conducted at the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute suggesting that innocent blacks may be more likely to wrongly fail the polygraph than innocent whites:

https://antipolygraph.org/documents/dodpi-racial-bias-study.pdf

Thanks, I've read that study already. It supports the conclusion that the only "detector" in the whole CQT setup is whatever the examiner thinks and feels, irrespective of the truth or supposed uniformity of process...

I wonder how long they keep information on all applicants. It would be interesting to see what exists beyond racial bias, there might be additional patterns of bias, e.g. gender, age, prior employment...

My recent repartee with LBCB convinces me that the only way we'll overcome these guys is by showing policymakers that the numbers support our side...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 12:52am
There was also an interesting story linked on Drudge today that only six of the 1,000 staffers on board with the US Embassy in Iraq speak Arabic. 

Why do I have the a feeling that the federal government types struggling with recruiting Arabic linguists lurking about read what is written here and wish that the tea leaves had spread out another way and that George Maschke was on their side.

To the anonymous angry polygraphers who lurk in the shadows on this board...  I invite you to take a seat in that chair positioned into the virtual corner over there and allow me to pull up my own chair, knee to knee.

Why don't you confess. Simply admit it--that you secretly wish that George Maschke was on your side...

Come on, fellas... Lay it out on the table and I promise that I will do my best to portray your statement in the best possible light to "HQ."

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2006 at 2:27am
Ok, Gino, I'll make that confession. It would indeed be nice if George were on our side. He is persuasive, well-spoken, educated, and intelligent. He obviously influences people who are worried about taking a polygraph because we find them all the time when they fail the exam, and his name does come up quite often when they are confronted regarding where they got their information.

George is a person who can hold a grudge a long, long time, too. He is persistent in his anti-polygraph jihad (I thought of using the word crusade instead, but it seemed more fitting considering his reportedly outstanding Arabic language abilities--no offense intended, George, it's just a joke). There are two ironies, I believe, when we examine both George's viewpoint and those of polygraphers like me: If George had passed his FBI polygraph, he might very well be used as a translator for FBI polygraphers, and then how would he have viewed the polygraph when it was a tool on his side? And as for the polygraphers like myself, had we been one of the rare--in our experienced opinions--false positives as George claims to be, we might very well be Especially Senior Users on this website, rubbing shoulders with George and Dr. Richardson and you, Gino, as fellow insurgents trying to disrupt or destroy the system. In both cases, it's a "there but for the grace of God [or Allah] go I."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2006 at 7:06am
LBCB,

I know for a fact that, at one particular state polygraph association meeting.  A discussion on George and antipolygraph.org,  quickly deteriorated into a argument on how much blame to put on the FBI polygrapher (Jack Trimarco) for screwing him over in the first place. And the woulda, coulda, shoulda avenues that did or did not transpire. We antipolygraph folks and this website wouldn't even exist if we had been treated fairly. And by fair I mean using the polygraph to cull out undesireables for what ever reason during a hiring process. I stand by my opinion that keep the polygraph in the criminal realm and out of the working / hiring realm.   

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 1:31am
Yeah, but you do see the irony, right, EosJ? If George would have passed, he would have been happy as a bug in a rug to work for FBI and translate for polygraphers, I'm sure. I wonder what George would say if FBI came apologizing to him now and asking for his services.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 6:57am
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Dec 11th, 2006 at 1:31am:
Yeah, but you do see the irony, right, EosJ? If George would have passed, he would have been happy as a bug in a rug to work for FBI and translate for polygraphers, I'm sure.

Actually, as I mentioned in my public statement, I once served as a translator during a polygraph examination, though not for the FBI. About 20 years ago, when I was an active duty interrogator in the U.S. Army, I translated at the polygraph screening of an Arabic-speaking spy who had been recruited by the U.S. military. This was my introduction to polygraphy, and it did not inspire confidence. The "test" turned out inconclusive, and the polygrapher ended up asking me for my "gut" feeling about whether the examinee was telling the truth.

Quote:
I wonder what George would say if FBI came apologizing to him now and asking for his services.

I wonder what I would say, too. Since the scenario you've described seems about as likely as pigs sprouting wings and flying, it's one about which I haven't devoted much thought.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 10:21am
LBCB,

Fist of all, I would like to extend my thanks for your contributions to this forum.

The whole purpose of having a forum is to encourage debate with the goal of learning from each other. This forum wouldn't have much debate if proponents of polygraphy were not represented. 

Quote:
George is a person who can hold a grudge a long, long time, too.

I see this as dedication and tenacity. Imagine if all of the time he is putting in attempting to destroy polygraphy were instead spent on his first choice--fighting terrorists for the FBI?

Quote:
And as for the polygraphers like myself, had we been one of the rare--in our experienced opinions--false positives as George claims to be, we might very well be Especially Senior Users on this website, rubbing shoulders with George and Dr. Richardson and you, Gino, as fellow insurgents trying to disrupt or destroy the system.

Correct, although I think that you go pretty far when you use the word "insurgents" drawing a comparison to those who wish to destroy this country and do Americans harm. 

Moreover, it was not the "false positive" that set me out trying to "destroy the system." If it was simply "you fail, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out," I would have probably simply moved on and looked for other work. 

It was the abusive interrogation that followed the false positive, at the hands of a member of the US Secret Service, that led me to desire the destruction of the abusive and corrupt pre-employment polygraph system.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 10:56am
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Dec 10th, 2006 at 2:27am:
...And as for the polygraphers like myself, had we been one of the rare--in our experienced opinions--false positives as George claims to be, we might very well be Especially Senior Users on this website, rubbing shoulders with George and Dr. Richardson and you, Gino, as fellow insurgents trying to disrupt or destroy the system...."

Some in the polygraph community no doubt consider public truth-telling about polygraphy to be an act of subversion. I recall that I was accused of treason after AntiPolygraph.org published a translation of a passage from the Encyclopedia of Jihad making it clear that Al-Qaeda knows that lie detectors are a sham.

But far from seeking to "disrupt or destroy the system," we seek to reform it by exposing and ending waste, fraud, and abuse.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

FBI and Arabic Recruitment

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X