Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Going in for a polygraph... (Read 7768 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anthrax
New User

Going in for a polygraph...
Nov 18th, 2006 at 12:50am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I will be going in for a polygraph for a job with the Canadian Government in the next couple days... now I have nothing to hide but know that shit happens regarding polygraphs... I have read "The Lie Behind the Lie Detector" a few times through... and am confident I can pass it... so this is basically what I have in mind...

I have naturally sweaty hands so theylll sweat through the whole thing.. shouldnt be a problem

Go into the polygraph, act like a dummy like I know nothing about polygraphy... act like I think the polygrapher is on my side

Maintain a steady breathing pattern the whole time through until the sensors are unhooked from my body

Raise my cardio activity (through method of doing math in my head) when I get a control question... and block my breathing activity for 4-5 seconds AFTER I answer the question

Keeping up the steady breathing pattern and with a lower heartbeat (cardio activity) than the control question, answer the relevant questions...

maintain the steady breath/cardio during the irrevlant questions (although they dont matter)

ADMIT NOTHING, tell as little as possible...

should I be OK?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Going in for a polygraph...
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 2:59pm
While countermeasures may mitigate the risk of a false positive outcome, they do not offer certainty that one will pass. That said, it appears that you have understood the essential elements of polygraph procedure and countermeasures. Keep in mind, however, that there is little one can do to prevent cardio reactions to relevant questions, and I think it is pointless to try. You might also bear in mind the behavioral countermeasures outlined in Chapter 4.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 6:12pm
Quote:
Keep in mind, however, that there is little one can do to prevent cardio reactions to relevant questions, and I think it is pointless to try.

This is quite an admission by you, George.  Yes, this is true.  While an examinee can try to do many things to influence the pneumograph channels, the cardio and electrodermal channels will usually betray him/her.  It is when these betrayals are consistent on the relevant questions despite the countermeasure attempts on the "control" questions that the examinee will be caught in the act.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 7:57pm
its not that simple. you have to have an understanding of what the appropriate level of effort is required to produce an adequate and not overly large physioloical change. Also, you have to have the correct timing because only a short portion of the time between questions is the scoreable range. On my tests the scorable rnage was right after the question was asked and maybe 1 or 2 seconds after the answer, not right after the answer as you might expect.

bottom line-CMs take practice and knowledge or its a real crap shoot.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 8:38pm
My point exactly, Bill.  Countermeasures are a real crap-shoot, and becoming more so as time goes by and more examiners receive additional training.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 8:49pm
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Nov 21st, 2006 at 8:38pm:
My point exactly, Bill.  Countermeasures are a real crap-shoot, and becoming more so as time goes by and more examiners receive additional training.

The underlying procedure (CQT polygraphy) is a crapshoot: telling the truth is no guarantee of passing. Given the availability of simple, effective countermeasures that polygraphers have no demonstrated ability to detect, those whose futures rest on the outcome of a polygraph crapshoot have little to lose, and potentially much to gain, by employing countermeasures.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 9:11pm
Quote:

telling the truth is no guarantee of passing.

True, you may end up inconclusive.  Or you may get caught using countermeasures when the truth without countermeasures would have landed you the job.  Or, to give people like George the benefit of much doubt, you might be that one in a million who "undeservedly" fall way down into negative numbers and fail the exam.  Yes, a real crap-shoot.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 10:33pm
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Nov 21st, 2006 at 9:11pm:

True, you may end up inconclusive.  Or you may get caught using countermeasures when the truth without countermeasures would have landed you the job.  Or, to give people like George the benefit of much doubt, you might be that one in a million who "undeservedly" fall way down into negative numbers and fail the exam.  Yes, a real crap-shoot.

Shocked
a 0.0000001% chance of being a false positive?

Respectfully, I call bullshit.

But now I feel very special knowing that I was 1 in a million.  1st test accused of drug activity (false-positive); 2nd test cleared of drug activity, and 3rd test cleared of drug activity.

Yes, bullshit I say.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 10:37pm
Quote:

But now I feel very special knowing that I was 1 in a million.  1st test accused of drug activity (false-positive); 2nd test cleared of drug activity, and 3rd test cleared of drug activity.

Yes, bullshit I say.

Well, I guess you win the lottery.  The other 999,999 people go on with their lives and don't frequent this website.  Wink

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 10:42pm
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Nov 21st, 2006 at 9:11pm:

True, you may end up inconclusive.  Or you may get caught using countermeasures when the truth without countermeasures would have landed you the job.  Or, to give people like George the benefit of much doubt, you might be that one in a million who "undeservedly" fall way down into negative numbers and fail the exam.  Yes, a real crap-shoot.

On what basis do you maintain that the risk of a false-positive result is 1:10^6? Please be specific.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 10:50pm
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Nov 21st, 2006 at 10:37pm:

Well, I guess you win the lottery.  The other 999,999 people go on with their lives and don't frequent this website.  Wink

Great.  My chance to win the lottery was wasted on a simpleton with a physio-gadget accusing me of lying.  Yeah, now I feel better.

Had the wonderful false positive polygraph opinion not cost me the chance to complete further hiring phases with the agency which conducted the "test" and another agency that immediately tossed my application due to the same test I may very well have gone on my merry way.  But unfortunately that did not happen.

No matter what anyone says, I am aware that false positives do occur much, much more frequently than 1/1,000,000.  That's just bad math.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 10:51pm
Quote:

On what basis do you maintain that the risk of a false-positive result is 1:10^6? Please be specific.

It's an estimate, George, ok?  No, I haven't conducted one million polygraph exams yet.  But from personal experience I can tell you that my estimate is more likely than the sky-is-falling dramatic exaggeration of "false positives" claimed by this website.

And Brandon, although there is bitterness in your humor, I do appreciate your humor.   Smiley

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 10:55pm
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Nov 21st, 2006 at 10:51pm:
It's an estimate, George, ok?

An estimate based on what? Why should a neutral observer accept your estimate?

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 11:07pm
Quote:

Why should a neutral observer accept your estimate?

Because a neutral observer doesn't carry the baggage of your personal agenda, George. Without that baggage, it's easier to trust experience over lack thereof.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 11:25pm
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Nov 21st, 2006 at 11:07pm:

Because a neutral observer doesn't carry the baggage of your personal agenda, George. Without that baggage, it's easier to trust experience over lack thereof.

I see. So a neutral observer without my "baggage" should accept your word for it, based on your (anonymously and unverifiably) professed experience, that the risk of a false positive outcome in a polygraph examination is 1:10^6. Yet somehow, the National Academy of Sciences did not accept such a notion, finding instead (at p. 202 of The Polygraph and Lie Detection) that "almost a century of research in scientific psychology and physiology provides little basis for the expectation that a polygraph test could have extremely high accuracy" (original emphasis). How do you explain this? None of the authors of this report were saddled with my alleged "baggage."

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Going in for a polygraph...

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X