Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) School report, NEED HELP ASAP! (Read 10982 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SK
New User

School report, NEED HELP ASAP!
Nov 7th, 2006 at 9:52pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
???

Hi! First, can I tell you how much I've learned from this site! It's great! 

I do need a little help though to finish up my report on Lie Detection, I need to know how they interpret polygraph test results. 

I know that a spike is a spike, ect... but what I need to know is how they think that they can read the lines on the test results to supposedly tell if someone has been lying. 

If ANYONE has any information, or anywhere they can point me to, please let me know ASAP. 

Thank you so much in advance. 

-Sarah  Cheesy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: School report, NEED HELP ASAP!
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 10:07pm
Sarah,

You'll find a brief description of how polygraph charts are scored in Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. For further detail, see the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute's Numerical Evaluation Scoring System.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 9:07pm
Sarah,

If you wanted to know about brain surgery, you'd probably want to talk to a surgeon.  If you wanted to know about auto mechanics, you might want to talk to an auto mechanic.  If you wanted to know about law, you should probably talk to an attorney.  Don't you think you should get your information about the polygraph from a polygrapher who actually uses it?  This website has some good information, but it is very biased, and most of the people posting here are not polygraphers.  They get their knowledge second- or third-hand, from the opinions of other people.  Just like you, most of them knew nothing about the polygraph until they read what others wrote, and even then they simply chose those opinions that supported the bias they held due to their anger or disappointment after failing a polygraph exam.  Many of them failed the polygraph, but almost none of them has ever conducted a polygraph exam.  All they have are a handful of questionable laboratory studies to support any of their claims, not actual experience.  Do you think that you, as a student, will be an expert on polygraph simply because you do a little research on a website and quote the people here who aren't even experts themselves?  Well, that's what these people have done: they have read a few articles about the polygraph and listened to other people who have also read a few articles, and now they think they are experts.

Fortunately, despite his bias as the founder of this "anti-" polygraph website, George Maschke did point you in the right direction regarding polygraph test data analysis as described in DoDPI's manual on numerical evaluation.  That document very clearly explains how polygraphers examine all of those squiggly lines or "spikes," as you call them.

Now, the publication "The Lie Behind the Lie Detector" also contains some good information regarding test data analysis and some of the theory behind it.  However, remember when you read this document that it is very biased in its interpretation.  One might compare it to a Bible after someone who is not a Christian goes through it and crosses out whatever he doesn't agree with and adds his own opinions that were not originally there.  In other words, take it with "a grain of salt." 

If you want to know about the polygraph, here's a good place to start before you take the word of most of these disappointed polygraph failures:   

http://www.polygraph.org/

Look specifically at the FAQ section (frequently asked questions).  That will give you most of what you need to know.  Then you can simply add to your report that there are some people who question the reliability of the polygraph, although they are a tiny minority.

Best of luck in your report.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2006 at 10:14pm by LieBabyCryBaby »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 10:24pm
Sarah,

By all means do investigate the opposing opinions presented by our resident polygraphers. But remember this,  that at polygraph.org, its a closed venue and not all may come in and enjoy the free exchange of knowlege and debate, Unlike here at antipolygraph.org. And when you talk to a polygrapher (which I do recommend), that you keep in mind that he/she has a vested interest in continuing the lie that is the lie detector. Money as usual drives all things to include protecting their paychecks.  I commend you for your research and I am sure you present an opinion based on fact not fiction. For us here at antipolygraph.org we have nothing to gain or money to make. Now whose opinion do you think is unbiased.

Regards .....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 10:27pm
LieBabyCryBaby,

Sarah asked specifically for information on "how they interpret polygraph test results." You have referred her to the homepage of the American Polygraph Association. Could you please provide a link to the precise page on that website where she will find more detailed or accurate information on how polygraph results are interpreted than that to which I referred her? The FAQ to which you refer her provides no responsive information whatsoever.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 10:28pm
Sarah

Keep in mind polygraphers make their living performing their "magic lasso" tricks. Therefore, they are extremely bias also. 

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LIE DETECTOR.

Your should research Dr. Drew Richardson's qualifications as a polygrapher. You can do this right here on this website. He has performed many polygraph tests as an employee of the FBI. I'm sure he would respond to your questions. There's no person at polygraph.org that can carry his jock when it comes to intelligence.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 11:54pm
George,

You obviously responded to my post without having seen my last edit which came just minutes before your response.  Otherwise, you would have seen that I did acknowledge your pointing Sarah in the right direction with DoDPI's manual on numerical evaluation.  I believe you are biased and misled in your "anti-" stance against the polygraph, but one thing I must admit is that you do allow and even seem to encourage discussion from both sides of the fence.  I told Sarah to start at the APA website for her report because it has what I believe are all the basics that a person would need to write a report on the polygraph.  Of course, Sarah seems interested in delving deeper with her investigation of test data analysis, and you did assist her with that task.

EosJ:

You are correct that polygraphers might be biased due to the polygraph being their instrument to earn a living.  However, don't forget that at least on a Federal level, most of the polygraphers were employees first and later became polygraphers; therefore, most of them would not fail to earn a living even if the polygraph suddenly became obsolete.  But even those polygraphers who do rely on the polygraph to earn a living should not be generalized as being biased.  Would you label all doctors biased because they encourage people to visit them for regular health checkups or when they are seriously ill?  Would you label all auto mechanics and attorneys biased because they recommend regular maintenance and binding legal contracts, respectively?  Just because someone earns a living doing something doesn't mean that the person can not view his/her job objectively.

Twoblock:

With regard to polygrapher bias, I refer you to what I just said to EosJ.  Now, I agree that Dr. Richardson is an intelligent fellow.  And yes, he has experience conducting polygraph exams. But remember, he is but one opposing voice against thousands of current and former polygraph examiners who champion the polygraph as the only reliable instrument ever designed to verify truth and detect deception.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2006 at 12:13am by LieBabyCryBaby »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 3:34am
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Nov 8th, 2006 at 11:54pm:
EosJ:

You are correct that polygraphers might be biased due to the polygraph being their instrument to earn a living.  However, don't forget that at least on a Federal level, most of the polygraphers were employees first and later became polygraphers; therefore, most of them would not fail to earn a living even if the polygraph suddenly became obsolete.  But even those polygraphers who do rely on the polygraph to earn a living should not be generalized as being biased.  Would you label all doctors biased because they encourage people to visit them for regular health checkups or when they are seriously ill?  Would you label all auto mechanics and attorneys biased because they recommend regular maintenance and binding legal contracts, respectively?  Just because someone earns a living doing something doesn't mean that the person can not view his/her job objectively.

LieBabyCryBaby,

It is rather interesting that you reference Doctors, Lawyers, Mechanics as persons of valid worth and job skills. Then we must assume that you put polygraphy as a real science and skill. Which of course those of us here on this board would not agree with, as would most real scientists and engineers. Lets see Doctors have years of training in the sciences and medicine, Lawyers have training from law schools and bar preperations and case law forums, mechanics have comprehensive vehicle and subsystem training. I don't degrade the degrees that many of the polygraphers have from real institutions. But putting your training from any of the polygraph schools or DODPI in the same realm as real schools, is quite a leap. AS most are nothing better than trade school accreditations. Sorry that just doesn't fly. And being biased is what you polygraphers do, your opinion on DI or NDI, or SR / NSR, is biased from the moment you render it. Human interpretation of a fallible device is nothing more than worthless, especially when someones veracity, honor, and selfworth are on the line.

But Sarah will make her own opinions, I hope she sends antipolygraph.org a copy of the report. I would like to see what this young person comes up with for her analysis and result.

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:29pm
EosJ,

You seem to be an intelligent guy.  Therefore, I think that if you were given the opportunity to attend DoDPI or another similar polygraph institution, you might actually pass the course.  I can tell you that the DoDPI curriculum is extremely rigorous and intense, and that every class has bright, intelligent people fail.  And it's not a matter of how long one goes to school, but rather the quality and intensity of the training, as well as whether the course is simply theory from books or actual practical learning in a lab setting.  You might belittle "trade" schools, but there are a lot of extremely intelligent people who have no more than a trade school degree. A lot of them decided that they would rather attend an institution that would let them concentrate solely on their desired vocation rather than make them pay an exorbitant amount of money to take courses like basket weaving or ballroom dancing or a foreign language in the name of a "well-rounded education."  Colleges and universities do teach, but so many of them also scam their students by making them pay thousands and thousands of dollars studying courses that have absolutely nothing to do with the students' occupational goals and needs.

The point is that polygraphers can be just as well-trained and professional in their careers as anyone else.  We could argue all day and all night for a year about the scientific basis--or lack thereof--for the polygraph.  I wouldn't convince you, and you wouldn't convince me.  But at least I would be basing my arguments on theory AND experience, which is more than you would have on your side.

Regards.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 9:17pm
LieBabyCryBaby,

You assume that I am a novice to the polygraph venue. I can assure you that I am not. But again this debate is mute, as none of you polygraphers are willing to step up to defend your machine, (other than with rhetoric), in a sanctioned, controlled testing format. Of which I have stated I will be more than willing to be one the subjects hooked up. Now if you catch me using CM's then I will renounce any and all claims to the fallibility of your process and machine. I do not diminish your capabilities as an interrogator, I would never underestimate an opponent. But I state you never know who you have in the chair and the capabilities they have. Surprize is always on the examinees side. And a powerful friend it truly is. The dedicated are always prepared. And from experience it hasn't failed me yet. 

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 5:49pm
EosJ:

Unless you are or have been a polygrapher, you have no practical experience.  Taking polygraph tests is not the same as conducting them.  That should go without saying, but I find myself repeatedly saying it to the "anti-" crowd on this website.  Reading a few selected lab studies and biased publications, regularly visiting a website of mostly like-minded individuals, and taking a polygraph or two does not make one an expert on the polygraph process.

So you passed a polygraph or two while using "countermeasures" and you were lucky enough not to get caught.  How do you know you wouldn't have passed the test anyhow?  It's not very scientific for a self-proclaimed scientist/engineer type like yourself to use such subjective and impossible-to-prove support for your opinion.

Aaaah, are we back to that silly "countermeaures challenge" again?  I get tired of addressing that topic, but I will do so once again.

Regarding the "countermeasures challenge":  Even if the pro-polygaph community were to accept such a challenge and "prove" its own agenda, the "pro-" people wouldn't really prove anything since they couldn't effectively equate their laboratory findings to the real world.  At the same time, the "anti-" crowd, which eagerly accepts any favorable laboratory study as "proof" of its own agenda, would justifiably, albeit uncharacteristically, reject such findings on the same basis.  So what's the point?  For those reasons, as well as such a study's prohibitive cost in dollars and time,  the "challenge" is ignored.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #11 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 7:38pm
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Nov 15th, 2006 at 5:49pm:
Aaaah, are we back to that silly "countermeaures challenge" again?  I get tired of addressing that topic, but I will do so once again.

EosJupiter didn't mention Dr. Drew Richardson's polygraph countermeasure challenge, but there is nothing silly about it, especially in light of the fact that the polygraph community offers no proof of its claimed ability to detect countermeasures. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The polygraph community offers none.

Quote:
Regarding the "countermeasures challenge":  Even if the pro-polygaph community were to accept such a challenge and "prove" its own agenda, the "pro-" people wouldn't really prove anything since they couldn't effectively equate their laboratory findings to the real world.  At the same time, the "anti-" crowd, which eagerly accepts any favorable laboratory study as "proof" of its own agenda, would justifiably, albeit uncharacteristically, reject such findings on the same basis.

That is sheer (and erroneous) speculation on your part. If polygraphers were able to reliably detect countermeasures in a properly controlled and blinded laboratory experiment, I would be inclined to agree that they could probably do the same under field conditions.

Quote:
So what's the point?  For those reasons, as well as such a study's prohibitive cost in dollars and time,  the "challenge" is ignored.

The question of whether polygraphers can detect countermeasures is a crucially important one. Were it publicly demonstrated that they cannot, it would have serious negative implications for the polygraph community. A fair-minded observer might imagine that perhaps there are reasons beyond supposed cost in dollars and time that explain the failure of the polygraph community to accept Dr. Richardson's challenge.

Wink

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 9:02pm
No, George, EosJ did not mention the "challenge" specifically, but it is at the top of all the topic listings in the "Polygraph Procedures" section of this website, and it is continually referred to either explicitly or implicitly by most of the "anti-" people on this website who pose as experts on the polygraph without any personal experience whatsoever.

To say that polygraphers can not detect countermeasures is both true and false depending on how you look at it.  It is true that even though a well-trained polygrapher will often notice atypical responses that he or she knows, through much experience, are the result of manipulation by the examinee, he or she may not know exactly which countermeasure caused the atypical responses.  Hence, one could say, "The polygrapher didn't catch the examinee because all the polygrapher could say was that countermeasures were used, and he couldn't say what the examinee did."

You know the old saying "You had to be there," right?  Well, George, when it comes to conducting polygraphs and knowing what I am talking about when I say "atypical responses," you haven't been there.  Perhaps you need to attend a bonafide "countermeasures" course conducted by a reputable polygraph school.  I can tell you that it would open your eyes to what it is possible for the polygrapher to see when it comes to examinee manipulation or attempted manipulation of responses.  But again, you haven't been there.

I know from personal experience what atypical responses look like.  I have caught examinees attempting countermeasures, and have been proven right by examinee admissions.  I never confront examinees just to play a game to see if I can dig up something of which I am not sure, and I do not regularly question examinees regarding attempted countermeasures when the proof isn't visible to me.  Now, that said, could an examinee, with sufficient training and feedback, learn to manipulate his or her responses so that even a well-trained examiner would miss the manipulations?  I think so. But from my own experience, I do not believe there are many examinees capable of such a convincing performance, taking into account such factors as habituation and desensitization over the course of an exam.  What we see instead are the tell-tale consistent signs of atypical response patterns.  I don't know how to explain it any better than this if you haven't been there.  Which reminds me, you haven't been there, George.

You and the "anti-" crowd that follows you just don't get it.  The lab is not the real world.  If you insist on looking at lab studies, you can find studies that both support and refute the reliability of the polygraph, and you can pick and choose whichever ones seem to support your agenda.  The "pro-" people can do the same.  But at least the "pro-" people will admit that even those lab studies that support their view and refute yours can not accurately and assuredly replicate what goes on in the real world.  Why would another lab study conducted as part of a "countermeasures challenge," prove anything one way or another, regardless of who "won"?  At least the "pro-" people have on their side something you do not when it comes to support studies: Confirmation of theory by examinee admissions.  That's real world.  But of course, you haven't been there.

When all is said and done (what a statement, since nothing will ever be said and done that will convince people on either side of the equation of the fallacy of their beliefs), I think it comes down to one basic difference between you and me, George.  That's right, you haven't been there.

Now, I don't expect to get the last word in here.  I find it amusing that an apparent young person's request for help on a school report gets us into a discussion which will get us nowhere. But if our young Sarah still reads this forum, I hope she keeps in mind one thing: Most of the so-called experts on this website, although having failed the polygraph and/or erroneously taken the side of those who have, all have the same glaring deficiency when they want to convince others that they know what they are talking about.  Yes, that's right: They haven't been there.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 10:41pm
LieBabyCryBaby,

You write:
Quote:
..."The polygrapher didn't catch the examinee because all the polygrapher could say was that countermeasures were used, and he couldn't say what the examinee did.”....

Thank you for this candid admission.  I would strongly suggest to you that if you cannot reliably state the underlying mechanism and etiology of your purported atypical responses, you cannot reliably identify countermeasures.  The great variance in normal response (absent the understanding that you openly admit is lacking) makes your atypical response not so atypical as you may think.  And by the way, I have been there and have worked with those who have both conducted countermeasure research for the government and have taught same.  Regards...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #14 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 10:42pm
LieBabyCryBaby

Who calibrates the polygraph machine? Are they ever calibrated by a certified lab? Instrumentation used in techical disciplines, especially in government service, are required to carry certificates of calibration from certified labs whose standards are traceable to the NIST. Yes I have been HERE. Have you? The crucial question here is: Does the polygraph test machine fall into the class of technilogical instrumentation, used for government service, that requires simi-annual calibration? If it doesn't, then it should have no place in determining a persons employment future.

What our young Sarah needs to know is that ONE person with ONE machine has the power to control many people's employment future. Not a BI investigation. NOT a multipul of up to 12people. Even if the machine was 100% correct, ONE person decision is WRONG. And as to quality control!!! Give me a break. Charts reviewed by another polygrapher is quality control?? What are the standards utilized? Is there a written Quality Control Manual containing strict quality standards that must be strictly adhered to. You should know because you should have been there.

IP Logged

School report, NEED HELP ASAP!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X