Normal Topic CVSA Evaluation at a National Conference (Read 2776 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

CVSA Evaluation at a National Conference
Oct 30th, 2006 at 10:07pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'll be attending the American Society of Criminology Conference in LA this week and came across this session:

Quote:
Evaluating Voice Stress Analysis Software for Deception Detection   

Sponsor: 
Category XXI: Measurement and Methodology
Issues in Evaluation Research 
Schedule Information: 
Scheduled Time: Wed, Nov 1 - 3:30pm - 4:50pm  Building/Room: Convention Center / 404A
Title Displayed in Event Calendar: Evaluating Voice Stress Analysis Software for Deception Detection 
Session Participants:   
Chair: Christine R. Crossland (National Institute of Justice)   
How does VSA work? The Science 
Laura J. Pointon (University of Oklahoma), Deidra Upchurch (Oklahoma Criminal Justice Resource Center), Kelly R. Damphousse (University of Oklahoma) 
How does VSA work? The Training and the Practice 
Deidra Upchurch (Oklahoma Criminal Justice Resource Center), Laura J. Pointon (University of Oklahoma), Kelly R. Damphousse (University of Oklahoma) 
Evaluating Voice Stress Analysis Software for Deception Detection 
Kelly R. Damphousse (University of Oklahoma), Laura J. Pointon (University of Oklahoma), Deidra Upchurch (Oklahoma Criminal Justice Resource Center) 
Discussant: Mike O’Shea (National Institute of Justice)   

Abstract:   
The session consists of three papers related to an NIJ-funded evaluation two of the more popular VSA tools currently on the market (Layered Voice Analysis and Computer Voice Stress Analyzer). A random sample of arrestees in a county jails were interviewed during the booking process to simulate the stress of a detention-related interview. Each respondent was asked a series of questions about recent drug use. The research team compared the computer analyses of the verbal responses to urinalysis results of urine samples provided by the arrestees.

I'm dismayed that this pseudoscience made it into my professional association's national conference and that the NIJ is involved. Luckily, the session I'm participating in is at a different time. I'll be sure to question all of the presenters on their view of the NAS report and Humble's admission that the CVSA cannot detect lies...

Of course, if they do their evaluation correctly, it should show that the CVSA does not work...

IP Logged

CVSA Evaluation at a National Conference

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X