Normal Topic Drug History and Military Service (Read 13003 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box colony2006
New User

Drug History and Military Service
Aug 21st, 2006 at 8:00pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am about to take steps to pursue an officer commission in the Marine Corps, but have a fairly extensive MJ use history and a couple instances of hard drugs from college (about two years ago).  Is this something that's an impediment, or is it not an issue for them in their background checks?

And even if this won't prohibit me from becoming an officer, will it become a career impediment later on as I seek security clearances or even an intelligence MOS?  I know LE hates past drug use, but maybe the military is different?  Thanks a lot, hope someone can help!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Re: Drug History and Military Service
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 9:40pm
Colony2006,

I do believe that most of us here do not advocate anything being hidden when positions of trust are being applied for. That being said, your drug use must and will be investigated by the military. If being an officer is that important to you, then you must disclose every bit of it on the SF-86 and let the system take its course. The military is generally far more lenient in some circumstances on drug use than most LE organizations. But also as an officer you must always do the right thing, and I know I had a rather colorful college life. And I served 20+ years without any regrets or having to look over my shoulder. I disclosed everything up front and my officer service was better off for it.

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box colony2006
New User

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2006 at 2:33pm
Thanks for your answer, but it wasn't quite what I was asking ... I don't intend on lying, so I'm wondering whether I therefore am barking up the wrong tree ... is this something that's gonna prevent me from joining or haunt me while I'm there?  Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FutureCopIhope1337
New User

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 4:58am
Each service has their own requirements when it comes to past drug use. The Army and Navy seem to be the most lenient when it comes to felony and misdemeanor convictions.

Remember try not to read too much into a question. If it says, have you ever been convicted of drug use... then say no since you havent. If they say, have you ever used drugs? Then yes, answer it that you have.

The military will just about take anyone with two legs nowadays.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FutureCopIhope1337
New User

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:00am
If you are at MEPS and they want to know if you have ever been convicted of or ever have involvement with a or b (criminal matters) that is on record, ALWAYS SAY THE TRUTH.

Don't listen to your recruiter if he or she says they will never find out because that is total BS. 

Is serving in the military so important as to risk a felony, dishonorable discharge, a hefty fine, and possibly hard labor? No. It isn't. 

Eric

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box USAwarrior
New User

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 10:31am
Dont worry too much. Just be honest about it. I know plenty of people in the military who used marijuana before they join. You will only be dq'd if you lie about it and they find out and if you fail your drug test.
-USAwarrior

IP Logged

Drug History and Military Service

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X