Normal Topic After Poly Question (Read 2251 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box scammed
New User

After Poly Question
May 25th, 2006 at 5:30pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I took a polygraph about a month ago, I have a question, for anyone, how can they ask such questions like have you  been truthful with everything youve told me , and have you left out any information, and this come back as telling the truth, and then say a question during the poly came back as not truthful. wouldnt the overall truth question come back a lie also?????

second question is whats is the purpose of adding in a complex math question, and hurrying me for an answer?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: After Poly Question
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2006 at 9:56pm
scammed wrote on May 25th, 2006 at 5:30pm:
I took a polygraph about a month ago, I have a question, for anyone, how can they ask such questions like have you  been truthful with everything youve told me , and have you left out any information, and this come back as telling the truth, and then say a question during the poly came back as not truthful. wouldnt the overall truth question come back a lie also?????

This is a valid question that many have asked, but I have yet to hear an explanation from any polygrapher.

I infer from your post that your polygraph exam was most likely of the Relevant/Irrelevant (R/I) variety. The "overall truth" question used in this technique is not considered relevant. According to Chapter 5 of the Federal Psychophysiological Detection of Deception Examiner Handbook:

Quote:
C5.3.9. Overall Truth Question. This is an optional question which may be used in an R/I question format. It is similar to the sacrifice relevant question in comparison question formats. It is intended to elicit a physiological response which may be indicative of the examinee's overall response capability. This question may be asked near the beginning and/or at the end of a PDD chart. (See figure C5.F10.)

Figure C5.F10. Samples of the Overall Truth Questions

Do you intend to answer truthfully all of the questions on this test?
Have you truthfully answered all of the questions on this test?

You also ask:

Quote:
second question is whats is the purpose of adding in a complex math question, and hurrying me for an answer?

This is called a "stimulus question." The Federal PDD Examiner Handbook explains it thus:

Quote:
C5.3.10. Stimulus Question. This question is an optional question which may be used in an R/I question format to determine the examinee's overall capacity for response. It is only used when the examinee exhibits a consistent lack of response. The two types of stimulus questions taught by DoDPI are the math and specific issue R/I stimululs questions. The specific issue R/I stimulus question is used only in the specific issue R/I format.

C5.3.10.1. Math Question. The examinee is told that a math question may be asked during the examination but the exact wording of the question is not reviewed. (See figure C5.F11.)

Figure C5.F11. Sample of a Math Question

Does 10+9=19?
Does 7+5=12?

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2006 at 11:25am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box scammed
New User

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2006 at 2:09am
Thank You! Another question if they ask me to come for a retest, would it be possible for me to request that I go to an independent polygrapher, perhapps there agenda maybe different., or should I insist that If my question about being truthful came back true, then I cannot trust their polygraph and shouldnt have to repeat it. I am 35 and married with children,im going for an employment screening, and they say the question regarding Narcotic Activitie is untrue, I dont even smoke, and I didnt even know half the drungs he mentioned. What would you do?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2006 at 11:29am
If you propose going to an independent polygrapher, they're really going to wonder what you've been smoking. I don't know of any government agency that would even consider such a proposal.

If I were you, I would seek out an employer that does not treat applicants with such deep disrespect as to judge their honesty and integrity on the basis of such quackery as the polygraph.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

After Poly Question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X