Normal Topic High heart rate = failure? (Read 2832 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box CaliLawMajor
New User

High heart rate = failure?
May 7th, 2006 at 1:21am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I took my polygraph friday and I could not seem to get my heart rate in check.  It was pretty high at first, so much that I could feel it in my chest.  I told the truth on all questions but just felt really anxious that this machine would brand me a liar. There didn't seem to be any "control" questions, just irrelevent and relevent ones. After the test I told the examiner that I was just nervous that it would brand me a liar and he proceeded to tell me how qualified he was, even giving his history as an examiner when he lived in Canada. There was no post test inerview or interrogation but there was a pretest interview in which I disclosed some juvenile indiscretions.  After the test we spoke in the parking lot for about 15 minutes about motorcyles (as I was on my bike that day) and just normal things.  He seemed nice and non confontational.  What kind of results, based on what I have given you all should I expect.  Of course I told the truth but am concerned mostly about my high heart rate.  Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

New User

Re: High heart rate = failure?
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2006 at 5:54am
Anyone?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2006 at 11:37am
The absence of a post-test interrogation is a good sign, because it is standard polygraph procedure to interrogate when the charts are scored as "deception indicated."

However, your offering an excuse for why you might "fail" was one of the worst things you could have done. Rightly or wrongly, such excuse-making is generally taken as a behavioral sign of deception.

As for your heart rate and its potential influence on the outcome, polygraphers score charts by looking for changes in heart rate (as well as changes in blood volume/pressure). An elevated heart rate in and of itself is not generally interpreted as an indication of deception.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2006 at 6:20pm
Oh yeah I forgot to mention this.   After the test when he told me my hearr rate was high my words to him were this" I just hope this thing works, I have been told that truthful people have failed it before".  I don;t know if this makes any difference but what do you think George?  BTW Thanks for the quick reply!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2006 at 6:35pm
Polygraphers don't like to hear doubts expressed about the accuracy of their practice. On the other hand, expressing hope that it will work might be received as an indication of truthfulness.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

High heart rate = failure?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X