Normal Topic Taking Valium before the polygraph (Read 50716 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Nick25
New User

Taking Valium before the polygraph
Apr 10th, 2006 at 8:45pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Does taking valium beforethe polygraph test help. It is a anxiety medication that is said to help. Anyone try it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NSAreject
Senior User

Re: Taking Valium before the polygraph
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 8:53pm
Nick25,

Speaking from NSA experience, they will ask you, if
you have taken any medication, or alcohol, then they
will ask you, under the poly, if you have been truthful,
or intend on lying.  I did hear of an NSA applicant that
drank in the parking lot, before the poly, and was
stupid enough, to admit it to the polygrapher.  Being
in the Intel community, and as a personal choice, I
couldn't do that, but you may not have anything to
lose - if you do, never admit to it...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:25pm
Nick25,

I'm not aware of any scientific studies on the effectiveness of valium as a polygraph countermeasure. However, it seems plausible that a sedative might be helpful in passing a relevant/irrelevant polygraph "test" (the primary technique used by the NSA). According to New York Times columnist William Safire, former CIA director Bill Casey once told him that "using dodges like a sphincter-muscle trick and a Valium pill, he could defeat any polygraph operator."

However, it seems unlikely that a sedative alone would enable one to pass the more common "control question test," in which reactions to relevant versus "control" questions are compared.

For information on polygraph procedure and countermeasures, see Chapters 3 & 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector:

http://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Persil_White
New User

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 3:28pm
For CIA, you're likely to have bloodwork drawn in the morning before your polygraph, and urine sample for drug test after it, so if you medicate, you're likely to be found out.  If you deny using drugs in the polygraph exam, and they turn up in your body that day, you can kiss your chances of employment goodbye.  Much better to follow this site's advice regarding the poly than to drug yourself.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AngryinNY
New User

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 1:25am
I took both Klonipin (a relative of valium) and Inderal during my poly with the polygrapher's knowledge. They didn't care that I was taking them, and the results turned out inconclusive (as they had on previous tests without medication).

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ILGA_RITA
New User

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 1:49am
I TOOK A MUSCLE RELAXANT CALLED ATIVAN. DID NOT THINK THAT THAT WOULD INTERFERE WITH THE "TRUTH TELLING ABILITY" OF THE POLYGRAPH AND WAS NOT QUESTIONED PRIOR TO MY TEST ABOUT ANYTHING LIKE THAT. I WAS TOLD THAT I FAILED MY POLYGRAPH MISERABLY, BUT ONCE I ACTUALY GOT A COPY OF MY RESULTS FROM CANADIAN GOVERNMENT, MY RESULTS HAD BEEN CHANGED FROM NO DI TO DI. SOME PAGES THEY EVEN FORGOT TO CHANGE! GO FIGURE WITH THIS STUPID THING. CAN'T LOOK AT THE RCMP THE SAME WAY AGAIN KNOWING HOW NAIVE THEY ARE ABOUT THIS THING.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 5:46pm
Ilga:

Excuse me but who is the naive one here?  The RCMP surely didnt tell you to take a relaxant, did they?  .

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box chubby

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 6:29am
go to hell, dont try to come in and convince people that the lie detector is unbeatable because it is!!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 1:40pm
Quote:
go to hell, dont try to come in and convince people that the lie detector is unbeatable because it is!!!

Surely you have better things to do than tell a poster to go to hell regarding a five-year-old post?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jacks lack

Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 3:58pm
2c here, I have failed polygraphs where I was completely innocent, and passed 2 where I was the sole culprit.  For me it was all about the mental side of things and being able to disassociate myself with the process I was going through, almost like dishing out automatic responses while in a semi-meditative state.

If the question can be made to have no "meaning" to me to the point where either answer will work, I have my baseline.

Has a lot to do with the meaning you are putting behind saying "yes" and "no."  Wink

IP Logged

Taking Valium before the polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X