Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Failed poly impact other clearance? (Read 33940 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wallerstein
Senior User

Re: Failed poly impact other clearance?
Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 9:11pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
As is my intention.  I was totally truthful with CIA and would/will be with any future government agency.

Check out the article. It's worth the read especially for someone who used to work there.  Here's a snippet:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200604/nsa-surveillance

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Reply #16 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 11:42pm
Wallerstein:
I would not be concerned with State Dept asking for another agency's poly charts.  It's virtually unheard of.  In 20+ years in the DOD poly community, I've never had interaction with State on poly matters of personnel of my agency.  Secondly, merely holding a TS clearance requires no poly, with the exception of a couple of agencies, including NSA and CIA.  Nomination for access to specifically designated special access programs does require successful completion of a CI-scope poly, where regulations so mandate.  Further, the SF86 requires no disclosure of a previous poly.  Where it asks whether you have ever been investigated for a clearance, the correct answer is yes if you have ever held a clearance or been put in for one;  it has nothing to do with polygraph.  The information contained in Item #26 of the form covers which agency conducted the check, when, and what level of clearance you were granted. Finally, be aware that a DOD poly (the fact that one was conducted, not the charts) entered into the DCII may be accessed by other federal investigative agencies, including, I would think, State.  If so, it may or may not be an issue with their security folks.  Hope this has been helpful.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2006 at 1:44am by quickfix »  

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #17 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 5:59pm
Quickfix,

So State will never request the poly charts, but the fact that I was unsuitable at CIA (not DoD) would register on the DCII or NAC could cause problems?   

For question  26 I have to put yes.  For clearance received I should put N/A right?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #18 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 10:39pm
Item 26, the answer is yes, the next box you put the code indicated for the agency that conducted your BI/SBI in connection with your clearance nominated (the codes are right above the box, DOD would be "1"), and the last box for type of clearance granted, you would enter "0" for clearance not required if never granted a clearance, or the appropriate code for whatever level you were last granted.  There are also instructions above the boxes for what to enter if you don't recall or if you're not sure.

Unless State Dept has their own poly program, which I doubt, there would be no need for requesting your charts, as they would need the polygraph software to download and open them in the poly program.  Even if they had a poly program, it is very unusual for a poly program to share charts with another program;  would have to be something very significant for that to happen, almost non-existant in the pre-employment/screening world.  Finally the DCII entries on poly only indicate that a poly was conducted, when, and whether it was favorable/unfavorable.

Regards
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2006 at 11:34pm by quickfix »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #19 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 5:42am
I was polygraphed (I'm a contractor) by a couple of assholes at an intel agency.  Inconclusive both times; then put in adjudication limbo for a year or so.

Eventually the contact at the intel agency asked for somebody else to be put on the contract since my clearance was taking too long.

I was never denied; simply withdrawn from processing.  I already held a DoD TS.

I'm assuming I answer "Yes I've been investigated" and put DoD and the date my TS was granted when it's time to renew, correct?  No need to advertise my run-in with the box and disdain for those who worship it.

Will this come up during a DoD clearance renewal?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #20 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 1:51pm
Correct;  TS and date of last clearance;  there is no provision on the form to refer to any poly.  During your next PR, IF they check the DCII, they would see a poly for an unresolved exam, nothing more;  I don't think it would be an issue just for a PR.

P.S.  I might have been one of those assholes.  I'm a DOD examiner.  I almost fell out of my chair laughing, just think, an asshole examiner helping an examinee!!! What's this world coming too?!?  Anyway, no offense taken, I've been called far worse, even by my own kind!

Regards

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #21 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 5:26pm
Quickfix,

Your honesty and helpfulness are appreciated.  You say poly charts will not be shared--will CIA share any information with State about me garnered during poly--is this a matter of course?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #22 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 6:40pm
My best guess is no, unless State inquires as part of any application for an upgraded clearance, i.e. from TS to TS/SCI in connection with a new job or position.  I can't guarantee that, as I have not personally dealt with State, but it's been my experience in some 30 years of DOD service involving clearances, adjudications, and poly that your situation is not a big deal.  Good luck in your endeavors.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tennvol
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 5:30am
So will a CIA denial cause a flag on a DoD NAC check?  I was denied by the agency last year and have my re-investigation for my DoD secret due in 6 months. Should I worry?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #24 - Apr 8th, 2006 at 3:29am
Shouldn't be a problem;  a NAC consists of checking with federal law enforcement databases for any outstanding warrants, arrest records, convictions, etc.  Going from Secret to TS is a more comprehensive process.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #25 - Apr 8th, 2006 at 11:59am
Wallerstein wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 9:11pm:
As is my intention.  I was totally truthful with CIA and would/will be with any future government agency.

Check out the article. It's worth the read especially for someone who used to work there.  Here's a snippet:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200604/nsa-surveillance

This article, "Big Brother Is Listening" by James Bamford, is indeed a worthwhile read for anyone concerned with national security policy. For those who are not Atlantic Monthly subscribers, the full text is available here:

http://homepage.mac.com/imfalse/chapel_annex/big_brother_listening.html

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stupid failed poly

Reply #26 - Sep 25th, 2008 at 3:48pm
So now that we know the answer for CIA vs DoD...what would be the impact on a CIA lifestyle poly failure for someone holding a DIA TS SCI?  I'm of course going to appeal since I really have no clue as to why I have  not passed and am waiting for my statement of reasons.   

I don't need the Lifestyle for my current position, but I want to have some reassurance that most likely I will not lose my current SCI access.  Any one have any experience in this?  Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #27 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 5:21am
stupid failed poly,

While I don't have firsthand knowledge, considering that DoD is DIA's parent agency, one would expect the general practice to be similar. On the other hand, it has been recently reported that DIA is greatly expanding its polygraph program, and it's conceivable that they've decided (against all evidence and reason) to put greater credence in polygraph chart readings.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Stupid Failed Poly

Reply #28 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 4:20pm
ok, so I got my letter back stating why I failed.  Apparently it was due to suitability.  I had a run in with something totally STUPID that looked like shoplifting recently, which was just a comedy/tragedy of bad decisions on my part.  I have never done anything like this in my life, but I was totally truthful about it during the interview after the poly (happend after I took the poly and even though I wasn't strapped in, again I was totally candid).   

So what should I do?  I mean I don't really know if I can appeal, because I was completely candid and the information that caused my denial is truth.  At the same time, I have a concern for losing my SCI access for something this dumb.  But because I wasn't denied for anything CI related, am I better off just letting the judgment stand (paperwork said I could reapply in a year) in hopes that DIA sees that I am no threat to their CI information?  I think I have maybe 2 weeks left before I have to submit my appeal.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BubbaJr

Reply #29 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 11:51pm
Stupid Failed Poly,

What made you initially think you failed the poly?  In your first post, you seemed to have known that you had already failed.  Also, how long after your poly did it take to receive the letter stating why you failed?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Failed poly impact other clearance?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X