Normal Topic Re: Imprisoned over a Polygraph (Read 23361 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Re: Imprisoned over a Polygraph
Mar 23rd, 2006 at 6:15pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Ekevelrc

While I despise the crime you were convicted of I give you credit for posting here.  I will not pass judgemnt on youu but will offer my comments  on what you wrote. As you know the first step to rehabilitation is to accept responsibility for your actions.  It doesn't seem you are quite doing that as of yet since you threatened the poly examiner and refuse to accept the consequences of that.   It is very possible she could not formulate questions if you were bing uncooperative and manipulative. Sex offenders are adept at this which also might be why many other offenders told you they were accused of counter measures. This is not surprising because sex offenders have a very very high recidivism rate. What reasons besides polygraph did the PO give for stating that you didnt make progress in treatment?  Your therapist said you needed treatment in prison and you disagree because he only has 6 months on th job. You call that and other reasons BS.  That doesn't sound like a person who has accepted total responsiblity.

Good luck and stay the course with the treatment.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 4:39pm
ekevelrc,

The relevant questions asked in post-conviction polygraph programs typically concern whether the examinee has complied with the terms of his/her probation or parole. Your polygrapher's claim that your alleged vagueness during the pre-test made it impossible for her to formulate questions for the in-test phase seems implausible. And while the "control" questions asked may be formulated based in part on the pre-test interview, any alleged vagueness of your answers should not have been a problem, as "control" questions tend to be intentionally vague, and the examinee is supposed to have doubts about whether his/her answers are completely truthful.

As for the accusation that you used countermeasures, there is no way that your polygrapher could prove that in court. No polygrapher has ever demonstrated any ability to reliably detect countermeasures, and there are no journal articles or book chapters in the polygraph literature that explain how to do it. And the available peer-reviewed research suggests that even experienced polygraphers cannot detect countermeasures at better-than-chance levels of accuracy.

Your attorney should be able to successfully refute the accusation of countermeasure use in court. E-mail me at maschke@antipolygraph.org and I'll be happy to provide you with contact information for persons who could provide expert testimony in rebuttal of your polygrapher's claims.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box detector1012000
User

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 7:31pm
He will be revoked for failure to complete treatment as provided for in his agreement with the court.  The polygraph would not be used, his treatment of employees of the treatment provider would be used and in most cases his attitude toward the treatment program.  Polygraph would only be admissable if he made admissions of violations of probation stipulations.  He is on pre trial diversion if I read correctly.  Revocation is quite simple, if not, then a trial could be required on the original charge and admissions made during prior treatment would come under admissibility in most states and be rejected in only a few.

IP Logged

User

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 11:10pm
"my probation officer files a new violation report claming that I didn't make progress in treatment, and that I needed to go to prison to recive treatment."

You may have a good case on appeal, Your statement of "I didn't make progress in treatment" is a valid point from the courts view.  If you are in Texas in the Western portion, don't look to get this reversed.  Just amusing to me that all of this occurred in the second treatment program and not the first.

IP Logged

User

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 11:04am
Good luck in your quest for freedom.  Seems there is  unresolved anger and frustration demonstrated in your posts.  I'm sure you had some classes on controlling that aspect of your inner self.  Don't let this hit you too hard, things do work out in the end and you of course may have an excellent appeal process.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 10:05pm
Quote:
...in this treatment program All they did was give us polygraph tests.  The facilitators for the groups wern't therapist or anything, 1 was a P.O., and the other worked the front desk at the residential facility.

A little late on this, as I've been away from this forum for a while.
Are you saying that the P.O. gave you the polygraphs? Or that the whole treatment program consisted of nothing but periodic polygraphs interpreted by the P.O.?
No licensed therapist? No member of the Texas chapter of the ATSA? Nothing? Except some idiot with a CJ degree too chicken to be a street cop because they might get their butt shot off?

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 4:33pm
I can't say it surprises me at all.
I suggest a visit to this site and a complete read of both the Texas Administrative Code sections and the Rules.
See just how much of what you experienced was legal under Texas law.
h**p://www.dshs.state.tx.us/csot/csot_crules.shtm

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box teikyo30
New User

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2006 at 4:52pm
That sounds like a shitty situation to be in. I was on probation for public indecency for a woman looking into my apartment window while I was in the nude. Part of the treatment was sex offender treatment which included polygraphs, or the potential of it anyhow. While the poly can't be used against you in court as proof of guilt, probation is different. The burden of proof is the same as a civil suit, more likely to be guilty than not, and the poly can sway the balance. If I were you, I'd either fight it or leave the US. Hey, if you're Jewish by any chance, you can claim dual citizenship in Israel. They might try you there, but you'd have a better chance there. Anyway, if you're fighting it here and you take a plea, make sure you have part of the plea to say no polygraph testing as part of your probation. Good luck.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yardman43
New User

Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 6:57am
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR MISFORTUNE IM COMING UP ON A MAIT POLY SOON DO YOU OR KNOW OF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT QUESTIONS THEY ASK ON A POLY LIKE THAT AND DO THEY HAVE CONTROL QUESTIONS ON THEM OR THEY ALL RELEVANT

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box underlyingtruth
Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 4:32pm
Yes, the test will include RQs, IQs, and CQs and the RQs will be over the standard conditions of your probation or treatment program (i.e. is there anything you do not want your probation officer to know about? Drug use, alcohol use, people you have been around, etc).  If you are in a treatment program, ask the group leader what questions will be on the poly. They will most likely have some part in what the questions will be and this will make it easy for you to know what the RQs are, so you do not confuse a CQ with a RQ.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Thomas_Delacy
User

Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 7:53pm
Very sadd storyy.. screwing you over at a young age over a damn polygraph.  My question is... what is "filing a appeal??" free on bond?? i understand if you pay a bond you can fight the case in civialzation rather than jail.. is that was the appeal was?

He who control's the future, control's the past He who control's the past, control's the future.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gary davis

Reply #11 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 3:26pm
im not sure 2.5 years in prison is a win..eveyone can avoid polygraph and treatment by doing the full sentence... probation is a gift from the court.. no one has to accept it..

gary davis

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:31am
I don't believe that "killing your number" works anymore. It used to be that way where if you did the full sentence, you were free and clear, no parole, terms & conditions, etc. I know that in the hate state, you're going to get to experience polygraphs regardless.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BeTheChange
New User

Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 6:57am
retcopper wrote on Mar 23rd, 2006 at 6:15pm:
Ekevelrc
This is not surprising because sex offenders have a very very high recidivism rate.

I must say, I find this statement VERY interesting.  I would love to see the proof that you have that the recidivism rate is "very very high".  I'm not saying that Ekevelrc is an angel or sex offenders in general are, I'm saying that a study from 2008-2009 re-offending rates for sex offenders for NEW sex offenses is 3.9%.  Most studies however do not say that part, they state just commiting new offenses, which is still not a number that would be "very very high".  Granted, your post is from 2006, I just hate seeing people saying that the recidivism rate is such a high number when in reality, it's nothing near that.

I am currently in these "treatment" classes myself for being 19 and having a dating relationship with a 15yr old.  I'm being asked over the past months to submit to a polygraph but have been working against it.  I wish you the best ekevelrc.

IP Logged

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X