Normal Topic logic of tongue-biting/pain infliction- (Read 11530 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box antrella
User

logic of tongue-biting/pain infliction-
Mar 7th, 2006 at 10:11pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Breathing manuevers aside, for the most part, the only concern an examinee has is the involuntary changes in electrodermal response. I understand the methodology of the tongue-biting CM - namely that you want to cause a reaction during the controls that is greater than the reaction during the relevants - but what I'm curious about is the physiological connection b/w tongue-biting and heightened electrodermal reactivity. The connection is self-evident when considering mental CMs (i.e., math equations=sweaty palms) - but tongue biting seems to me as inexplicable as the old 'tack in the shoe' trick. 

Would someone care to shed light on how it works? Perhaps with a clear understanding of the "how," one can develop more sophisticated, perhaps more potent CMs.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joker
New User

Re: logic of tongue-biting/pain infliction-
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 10:18pm
Perhaps I could just slide my tongue between my teeth and just worry about being caught?

IP Logged

User

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 6:08pm
antrella wrote on Mar 7th, 2006 at 10:11pm:
Breathing manuevers aside, for the most part, the only concern an examinee has is the involuntary changes in electrodermal response. I understand the methodology of the tongue-biting CM - namely that you want to cause a reaction during the controls that is greater than the reaction during the relevants - but what I'm curious about is the physiological connection b/w tongue-biting and heightened electrodermal reactivity. The connection is self-evident when considering mental CMs (i.e., math equations=sweaty palms) - but tongue biting seems to me as inexplicable as the old 'tack in the shoe' trick. 

Would someone care to shed light on how it works? Perhaps with a clear understanding of the "how," one can develop more sophisticated, perhaps more potent CMs.

I'm surprised that no one has stepped up to explain the physiological basis for tongue biting as a CM. Relying on it blindly is just as bad as relying on the poly blindly. I'm not content with the knowledge that "it works," and would definitely like to know why it works, and which physiological mechanisms are affected.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:08pm
antrella

I'm not a polygraph expert but, bite your tongue hard enough to cause pain. Pain causes a rise in BP and heart rate which in turn causes an increase in sweating.

To prove this to yourself, buy a digital BP machine with pulse indicator. You can test your anal squeeze and how well you can controll you thought processes. With this machine, you have to hold your thought process or squeeze until the pressure is released not just the 5 to 8 seconds required for the poly.

I have no stock in the company/companies that make the devise.

IP Logged

User

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:58pm
Twoblock wrote on Mar 8th, 2006 at 9:08pm:
antrella

I'm not a polygraph expert but, bite your tongue hard enough to cause pain. Pain causes a rise in BP and heart rate which in turn causes an increase in sweating.

To prove this to yourself, buy a digital BP machine with pulse indicator. You can test your anal squeeze and how well you can controll you thought processes. With this machine, you have to hold your thought process or squeeze until the pressure is released not just the 5 to 8 seconds required for the poly.

I have no stock in the company/companies that make the devise.

Twoblock - I assumed it was something along these lines. As for a digital BP machine, do you know of one that provides a realtime/streaming heartbeat/BP? Or do they all simply deflate and require you to stop, restart, stop, restart, etc. Thanks-

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 10:33pm
antrella

Mine is a restart. I don't know if any other type exists. I didn't notice any other on the shelf.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 2:43pm
antrella wrote on Mar 7th, 2006 at 10:11pm:

In A 1993 article on CM's, Honts stated that tongue biting reduces the "efficacy" of polygraph data by 
"75% (from 98%) down to 24%". - (Read it in an APA journal. )

IP Logged

logic of tongue-biting/pain infliction-

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X