Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Unnecessarily Failing the FBI Polygraph Test (Read 26831 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box perplexed
New User

Unnecessarily Failing the FBI Polygraph Test
Feb 27th, 2006 at 12:23pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I will try be very faithful and accurate as to the facts and emotions in the best interest of TRUTH, Justice and hopefully our National Security… Please read it carefully…  Thank you!...

Let me start by confessing that I am probably one  of those in the mainstream who, only 2 weeks ago, had dismissed good sites like antipolygraph.org as just a bunch of “conspiracy theory” looney kazoony fanatics spewing “unsupportable” false accusations about our “well meaning” Government.

Let me also assert that I am a proud naturalized U.S. Citizen… VERY PROUD to be an American!... VERY patriotic and I LOVE this country very much!...  I am an Arab American leading a very simple, low key, life... but, God bless America, a good and fulfilling life…  

I applied for a Contract Linguist with the FBI almost a year ago because I wanted to do the “RIGHT thing for my country”….  I do not need the money… The “lame” and mediocre $39 hourly rate with “NO benefits”, "NO PENSION" and most likely NO 'loyalty" nor "Thank You's" at the end... was definitely NO motivation…  but  I know that the FBI (and almost every other Agency) had a severe shortage of “good” Arabic Linguists leaving our country with an enormous backlog of non-translated tapes and documents that may seriously be compromising our National Security!... I am uniquely qualified because I combine excellent command of the English language with highly advanced comprehension of Arabic in most of its dialects… in addition to my highly critical and analytical mind and other valuable skills...

The folks at the FBI were just awesome… very pleasant… family-type folks… and all together “good people”…  During my written and oral exams and national security interview, they made me feel part of the “family”…  I successfully passed ALL the language tests, the national security interview and submitted extensive paperwork…  I just had  one last “simple” step… The Polygraph examination… 

I was a little nervous, because “examinations” always cause me natural anxiety, but I was highly confident that I will pass the Polygraph test  and start helping out the FBI… Never in my life have I been in contact with ANY foreign intelligence service nor would I EVER do ANYTHING to harm the U.S.

The Polygraph test was anything but simple… The Polygrapher, while “preparing” me, read the various questions... and one of them was “have you ever lied to someone who loved and trusted you”… Not being Mother Theresa,  and thinking of times when I had to “tell a lie here and there to my little child to avoid a tantrum” or tell other lies “some spouses tell their spouses”… I honestly responded “well, you know,  everybody lies sometimes”…  He IMMEDIATELY, with piercing eyes, instructed me “No… not everybody lies... the answer is No… you do not lie to someone who loves and trusts you”… Something IMMEDIATELY felt very uncomfortable and wrong...  I did not know what it was at the time.... but it felt ALL wrong... At the time, I did not know what a “control question” or “manipulation” were… I “trusted” that I am in “good hands” among “family” and all I wanted to do was to be cooperative, follow instructions and honestly respond to questions… Well.. the way he “instructed me” offended my sensitivity and insulted my intelligence… YES, as childish as that may sound, “he hurt my feelings”… I am a very sensitive man… a follower of positive energy and do not react well to deception and negative energy… He left a bitter taste in my mouth because, after analyzing this for over  a week now, he violated the delicate trust I placed in the FBI personnel…

What was supposed to be a simple test became an emotional roller coaster…. The  relevant question was longer (and had words that I am not accustomed to hearing every day) than all the other “short” irrelevant or control questions…. and, subconsciously, I felt or perhaps imagined that his tone of voice was intimidating and borderline accusatory even though on a conscious level I did not hear him change his tone…so the moment he “started” to ask the “relevant” national security question, I IMMEDIATELY was aroused JUST from listening to the "long question"… then quickly felt intimidated by the question… then my emotional cascade heightened and subconsciously I was upset or better frustrated because my patriotism was in question…  During the 20-30 seconds of silence… Oh God!…  I was “subconsciously” so filled with uncontrollable anxiety of fear that “I may screw up on the test”… I know it was NOT Othello’s effect as I was not afraid of being accused of lying…  It was just uncontrollable and “unexplainable” anxiety… 

After doing the test a few times, the ULTIMATE slap in the face came in his words when he unhooked me from the machine… sat me down and with piecing eyes and intimidating ACCUSATORY tone said: “Listen, I have NO doubt in my mind that you have been in contact with foreign intelligence service… you are known all over the world and traveled to many countries, etc… etc... ”  What do you say to such bogus and UNEXPECTED accusation? I was shocked, fearful but somewhat summoned the strength to calmly tell him “I have never in my life been in contact with any intelligence service… I am a simple man... leading a simple life"… I swore to him in the name of God, in the name of Jesus and in the name of my own little child… This got repeated for a couple of minutes... where I was TRAUMATIZED and reduced from “a highly intelligent, “good American”, patriotic, well-meaning helpful Arab American wanting to do the RIGHT thing” to “Carlos the terrorist”… Finally, he backed off and said “you seem like a nice guy”… and started to explain to me what may follow, possible retest, etc… and wishing me well with my child… shaking hands with me… etc.. 

Well, now I have NO doubt in MY mind that the Polygraph is nothing but FLAWED and UNRELIABLE science "CUM Lousy"... and, while it MAY have some very narrow scope "investigative" value, it should NOT be used by the FBI or anyone else as a RELIABLE measure of deception nor Truth for that matter… 

Also, now I have NO doubt in my mind that HONEST, DECENT, PATRIOTIC Americans by the thousands are failing Polygraph tests right and left and UNNECESSARILY being disenfranchised,  traumatized and FALSELY accused of lying.  This is SHAMELESSLY and NEGLIGENTLY depriving our country of valuable human resources  while allowing “hardened spies” to infiltrate our most sensitive agencies.  It does NOT take rocket science for the bad guys who are most likely very well trained to “lie” and deceive…  to “exaggerate” their emotional responses to the “easily” identifiable control questions… thereby camouflaging the emotional response to the relevant questions…  and easily passing the Polygraph Test with Gold Stars!

Well, here I am adding my voice to yours… here I am … just another example of the ENORMOUS harm that Polygraph is causing our nation…
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2006 at 2:12am by perplexed »  

My heroes are: "President Bush" for his insightful vision of peaceful democracies everywhere... "VP Cheney" for defending our freedoms... and "Hannity" for his patriotic voice, humor and amiability!...

2008 Update:  I guess, like MANY other good Americans who were staunch supportes of the Bush doctrine, I found out that I was misguided by George Bush and Dick Cheney!...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

Re: Unnecessarily Failing the FBI Polygraph Test
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 5:14pm
Perplexed,
Thanks for posting your experience, but it doesn't sound like you failed the polygraph.  You should wait unti you receive a rejection letter in the mail.  If you weren't accused of lying directly, then maybe there is hope.  Actually, maybe not since my first polygrapher told me that there was a "discrepancy with the drug usage question", but he never told me anything about failing nor did he subject me to an intense interrogation.

But you are right, this polygraph machine is a sham, and everyone needs to be educated.  Funny how everyone thinks that this site is for a bunch of disgruntled persons, but immediately change their minds once they are subjected to this experience.  I myself being one.

In case you failed (which is not really clear), my sympathies are with you that although you are a proud American who wants to serve his country (like the rest of us),  you must go through being treated like a criminal.

Best Regards

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 7:24pm
Thank you John...

My point exactly!... The "trauma" of the 2 minutes took away 99% of the "romantic notion" of doing the right thing and being of service to my country...

Most importantly, whether I failed or not, the polygraph NOT being "exact" nor "reliable" science should NEVER be given the enormous weight the FBI and other agencies attribute to it in accepting or rejecting applicants to National Security positions!.... It is flat out "perplexing"!!!!... 

What is alarming is that although it is a tragedy of enormous proportion to falsely accuse thousands of "good people" of lying and  unnecessarily disenfranchise them, I am horrified by how easily the "bad guys" can be trained to beat the polygraph!... 

It is my opinion that such blind faith in the polygraph is intellectually bankrupt, it is NOTHING short of bureaucratic and flat out lazy!...  In search of the TRUTH... nothing holds true but the TRUTH itself!... In my case, and seemingly in the case of THOUSANDS  of other honorable and patriotic Americans, the polygraph did NOT give the FBI the TRUTH nor did it give justice to our National Security.

If the X-Ray machine repeatedly misdiagnosed lung cancer in 50% of the patients, would you RELY on it to diagnose lung cancer?
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2006 at 2:17am by perplexed »  

My heroes are: "President Bush" for his insightful vision of peaceful democracies everywhere... "VP Cheney" for defending our freedoms... and "Hannity" for his patriotic voice, humor and amiability!...

2008 Update:  I guess, like MANY other good Americans who were staunch supportes of the Bush doctrine, I found out that I was misguided by George Bush and Dick Cheney!...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 9:12pm
I don't know... sometimes I'm under the impression that if they are not able to get a confession from you, then they still use the polygraph to see how you behave when you are being accused of something you wouldn't normally do.   I think that their reasoning is also that if you start showing anxiety even while telling the truth, then maybe you shouldn't be in a job where high stress is prevalent.  

It's probably more like a medical test which shows how you react under pressure.  Or the whole thing can be a setup to see how you behave when confronted.  If an applicant starts crying, protesting with arms in the air or otherwise starts behaving a way the FBI considers to be inappropriate, then they know the job is not for you.  Remember, the whole thing is still part of a job interview, although corporations would never get away with that type of arm chair psychological tactic. 

But even the tactics I don't care about - what I personally don't like is that they actually put down on paper and make you feel as if you are the criminal-liar spy/drug user.  That's a little too much offense for me to digest.

I wouldn't let this one incident prevent me from pursuing employment in other agencies.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 10:39pm
Perplexed:

You ought to be pleased that in this country, after you get your feelings hurt you have the right to complain about it. Try doing the same thing in an Arabic country.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 11:31pm
retcopper wrote on Feb 27th, 2006 at 10:39pm:
Perplexed:

You ought to be pleased that in this country, after you get your feelings hurt you have the right to complain about it. Try doing the same thing in an Arabic country.

Spare us the patronizing platitudes. Perplexed has been falsely accused by an employee of America's leading law enforcement agency of having been in contact with a foreign intelligence service based on a pseudoscientific procedure that is completely invalid. This false accusation, if recorded in his polygrapher's report (as it likely has been), will follow him the rest of his life in his permanent FBI file. For an American of European ancestry such as my self such a false accusation was damaging enough. For a citizen of Arab origin in post-9/11 America, the consequences may well be worse.

Do you think what happened to Perplexed is acceptable?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 4:55am
retcopper wrote on Feb 27th, 2006 at 10:39pm:
Perplexed:

Yup!... God bless America! ... Well ain't it just groovy how we, Americans, allow even people like you to exercise their right to "speak aloud and remove all doubt”?  Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2006 at 4:01pm by perplexed »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 7:49am
Perplexed,

All of us that have been effected by the polygraph fully understand the feelings you have. But to point out how screwed up the FBI currently is, I have a link to a report on the FBI doing in or at least trying to do in, its highest ranking arab-american agent. By my accounting of the article, it appears that they don't care about who they screw over. I think its pervasive all the way to the top  and wrong. I stand by my statements that they use the polygraph to weed out what they decide are undesireables. My opinion of course. 

Link: http://www.whistleblowers.org/html/press_room.html

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 4:54pm
Perplexed:

You're right, GOD BLESS AMERICA and every federal security agency and police froce in this country.  I am glad and proud as hell that we have the FBI and the CIA to protect us.  I have a question. If the big bad FBI "hurt your feelings"  then why don't you leave this country and go live in the middle east and complain abut them. Of course George will say I'm patronizing and being trite but guess what, 90% of Americans feel this way.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 5:08pm
retcopper wrote on Feb 28th, 2006 at 4:54pm:
Perplexed:

You're right, GOD BLESS AMERICA and every federal security agency and police froce in this country.  I am glad and proud as hell that we have the FBI and the CIA to protect us.  I have a question. If the big bad FBI "hurt your feelings"  then why don't you leave this country and go live in the middle east and complain abut them. Of course George will say I'm patronizing and being trite but guess what, 90% of Americans feel this way.

Again I ask,  do you think what happened to Perplexed is acceptable?

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 6:13pm
Perplexed,

So sorry to hear what happened to you. I would say that you may have been inconclusive on the national security portion of the test. An applicant deemed inconclusive on the drug portion of the test usually receives a retest, though he/she won't be allowed to pass it. Whether you will be retested on national security is a different matter. The agency may decide to forgo additional testing in your case. It appears that at least some applicants deemed INC on national security are not being retested in those areas, only for "failures" in the drug use series. That was the case with me and others on this board, offering additional proof that the FBI's polygraph appeal process is a total sham.    
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2006 at 9:36pm by polyfool »  

IP Logged

New User

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 9:35pm
retcopper wrote on Feb 28th, 2006 at 4:54pm:
Perplexed:

why don't you leave this country and go live in the middle east and complain abut them.

Why?  Because the U.S. is MY country and, unlike you, I have great unconditional love for my country... with ALL its Splendor and flaws...

Also, unlike you, I do what is right when I see something so inherently wrong!... 

Yo, retcopper... Let me be the one to break it to you, my friend...  I glanced through your posts on this Board... I used to have a neighbor who went around picking fights with everyone for the same reason you do… his thingy didn’t work!…   Grin

Get away from me, you freak!...  Take a chill pill!... Spare the rest of us your lethargy and save yourself more embarrassment!...
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2006 at 4:11pm by perplexed »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 11:46pm
"The  relevant question was longer (and had words that I am not accustomed to hearing every day) than all the other “short” irrelevant or control questions…."

I find it odd that you are well-spoken, intelligent, but could not become "accustomed" to certain words you don't hear every day.  What didn't you understand? Foreign? Intelligence? Service?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 12:00am
quickfix wrote on Feb 28th, 2006 at 11:46pm:
"The  relevant question was longer (and had words that I am not accustomed to hearing every day) than all the other “short” irrelevant or control questions…."

I find it odd that you are well-spoken, intelligent, but could not become "accustomed" to certain words you don't hear every day.  What didn't you understand? Foreign? Intelligence? Service?

quickfix,

Perplexed never said he didn't understand any words used. His point was that the relevant questions were longer than the "control" question and included atypical language. (For example, one of the relevant questions includes a reference to "subversive activity" -- not a topic of everyday conversation.) If relevant questions are both longer and strike the examinee as being out of the ordinary, that in and of itself might result in physiological reactions to them -- potentially leading to a false positive outcome.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 12:48am
quickfix wrote on Feb 28th, 2006 at 11:46pm:

I find it odd that you are well-spoken, intelligent, but could not become "accustomed" to certain words you don't hear every day.  What didn't you understand? Foreign? Intelligence? Service?

Thank you quickfix... I am both well spoken and intelligent... I live a simple, stress-free life in a quaint All-American neighborhood and surround myself with positive "good people" and keep away from negative energy.

What is TRULY odd here is that you neither saw nor mentioned that I am also highly patriotic... and I LOVE the USA.

It is unfortunate that, in your rush to judgement, you misconstrued the "delicate" distinction between "understanding the meaning of words" and "not being accustomed to hearing them"... but that's OK...  I glanced through your other posts and I can see why!... but I will treat you with respect unless you give me reasons not to.

I made my post in good faith and TOTAL ACCURACY in my conscious effort to HELP others as well as seek "reliable information" and "accurate answers" for the following reasons:

1.  While I did not believe it two weeks ago, I now KNOW beyond ANY doubt that the Polygraph is highly INACCURATE!...  It was inaccurate in my case and I can FULLY understand how it can easily be inaccurate in many other cases...

2. I do NOT need to defend my patriotism!!!...  I KNOW how highly patriotic I am and so do the people who know me!... I have NEVER been in contact with ANY foreign intelligence service, nor do I intend to... and I NEVER will do anything to harm the U.S.  I am just trying to help myself "understand" why I physiologically reacted to the relevant question.  I am NOT a psychologist nor an expert in this field... I have received many explanations from well meaning people from “you are a sensitive person”… to “you are high strung”... to “you are brilliant and your mind works at 2,000 rpm in anticipation of a question”… to what have you… The 2 pertinent facts I have now are that the Polygraph was completely INACCURATE in my case and that I do NOT know why I reacted to such questions. 

3.      I CANDIDLY described how I felt and what happened and tried to draw some initial hypotheses following the Scientific Method.

So, in view of the above, I sincerely thank those who have given me useful information and urge others to focus INTELLIGENTLY on this delicate topic and be HELPFUL to my "good faith" efforts to expand my knowledge.  It is NOT an invitation to the dogs of society to come howling and babbling senselessly... nor is it a license for anyone to knock down the USA and its fine agencies INCLUDING the FBI!... Those who have the intellectual competence to bring patriotic and constructive criticism in the best interest of our country are welcome....
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2006 at 4:46pm by perplexed »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Unnecessarily Failing the FBI Polygraph Test

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X