Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) 22 y.o. law student fails FBI polygraph (Read 15545 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

Re: 22 y.o. law student fails FBI polygraph
Reply #15 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 4:56pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Bill, 
Is that so?  I mean, isn't it like a health matter where the patient has a right to his own records, as opposed to someone asking for someone else's records?

In any case, I'm going to write a second letter contesting their results - only so that whoever receives my file will also see my letters.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #16 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 4:17am
Johnn wrote on Feb 14th, 2006 at 4:56pm:
Bill, 
Is that so?  I mean, isn't it like a health matter where the patient has a right to his own records, as opposed to someone asking for someone else's records?

In any case, I'm going to write a second letter contesting their results - only so that whoever receives my file will also see my letters.

Johnn,

You're right. The poly results are made available to the applicant at his request under the Privacy Act. All records on file with the FBI that pertain to the requestor must be made available to him or her. However, information regarding a third party can be excluded and withheld from release. Another person requesting your records under FOIA would not be allowed access to them because of an unwarranted invasion of your privacy, but some entities can be granted access to the information, such as the federal govt. and LE. 

Bill, 

I think Valerie may have been referring to the agent telling her others wouldn't find out about the results because they're confidential. However, as you alluded, that is not the case when it comes to other federal agencies and LE agencies as they can be granted access. I also had an agent try to tell me that failing the agency's polygraph was no big deal. They want applicants to think that, so they're easier to get rid of. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Zippy
New User

Reply #17 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 9:06am
"Let me start out by saying that I am so relieved to have found this site.  My dismal experience with the FBI polygraph was a mere 7 hours ago.  I am so shocked and upset that I haven't had a bite to eat all day and feel physically and emotionally drained."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
First off, you will be called back for another poly.  This is the game they play.  Your poly ended the same way every poly I ever took ended.  They want to see how you will react to this.  Stay cool.  I can almost guarantee you I am right.  He tipped his hand when he said “no drug test, your test is over”.  You will have to take a drug test sometime during the hiring process.  You stuck to your guns and did not admit to something that you did not do just to please the examiner.  He/she knows you’re telling the truth.  No one gets in, or disqualified, based on one poly exam.  If you really have your heart set on joining that pack of sick dogs, hang in there.  They are going to call you back for more fun.  Who knows, you may be the one who fixes that mess of an agency.       

I took my first poly back in the late 60’s.  If you believe that poly, I raped my mother on many occasions, and enjoyed sexual relations with animals.  You think I’m kidding?  I’m not.  I looked at him like he had two heads when he tried to discuss this with me.  He acted like he was mad, mad, mad at me.  He appeared to be furious with me, demanding I tell him the truth about "me and mom".  I left thinking to myself, will I guess that is that.  I’m a goin’ into the infantry. Three poly exams later I got the position I was going for (Army Intelligence).  I know, I know, oxymoron.      

At 54 years of age, I took another entrance poly and the examiner tried to tell me there was DI on my answers about pot.  (It's always drugs these days - back in the 60's it was sex with mom and animals)  I haven’t smelled pot in over thirty years.  Again, I just laughed and asked her if she knew how ridiculous and obvious this game was.  She smiled at me and told me if I couldn’t tell the truth I would not get the job.  One poly later, guess where I’m working.  Yep.

Relax kid.  They aren’t finished with you yet.  Don’t ever sweat a poly.  The poly doesn’t work, and they know it.  It’s there for intimidation.  Had you changed your story, you'd be out the door for good. Unless the examiner saw something else that  made him believe you were not a good fit, you will be invited back.  In the mean time, try to find honest work.

Don't let us die not knowing how long it took to call you back.         

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

Reply #18 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 4:40am
Zippy,
I dont' think you  understand the FBI hiring process.  That's it - after a failed poly, there is no more.  All Valerie can do now is wait for her "offer rescinded" letter  and appeal.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box valerie
New User

Reply #19 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 8:56am
Hi everyone,

Ok so this is what I've been told about all of these issues so far...

(1) FBI confidentiality
The FOIA is indeed only for the individual seeking information kept about themselves.  Other individuals, or future employers cannot see the information (except other government intelligence agencies).  I was told that even for FBI employees, when they apply for other jobs all that will show up was whether they did in fact work for the FBI or not.  In my case, I was only applying for an internship position and have not been officially accepted - so no information will turn up at all.

The only way the FBI releases the information is if it subpoenaed.  This is confidential information - just like medical records, it is not something that can be accessed by the public or even private companies.

(2) Future Polygraphs
After a polygraph exam, the polygrapher sends the results, along with his recommendation/interpretation of the results, to HQ.  HQ then decides whether to agree with the polygrapher or not.  If they do, you have to go through the official appeal process - in which you may get the option to retest.  If they do not agree with the polygrapher, the results are deemed inconclusive, and you are automatically invited back for another test.

This is what I know so far.  I do think it is strange, however, that the FBI is still conducting my background check even though I haven't passed my polygraph.  It isn't a problem, of course, it doesn't matter to me at all.  It just seems a tad inefficient to me.   

But anyway, thank you again for all your responses.  I learn more everyday it appears.

Best regards,
Val

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyrized
User

Reply #20 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 10:20am
Er, not so fast.

From personal experience I can tell you that they WILL share every aspect of that polygraph with not just other government intelligence agencies but other government agencies.

In my case extremely sensitive information about my private sexual history was shared with another agency, even though I had done nothing illegal or that indicated a mental health problem.

I too was led to believe the information would be respected, guarded and treated with sensitivity.  Which is why I answered questions which were really none of their business with candor and complete honesty.

Remember, the goal of these polygraph interviews is to get people to give out information they otherwise would not.  And giving out deceptive assurances as to what will happen to the information is part of their method and in my opinion, completely unethical.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2006 at 9:50pm by polyrized »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box katedidd
New User

Reply #21 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 11:26am
Hey, I am a victim of a crime- assault and rape!  I  gave my statement to authorities, he gave his.  HE denied all till 2 weeks later, then admitted the act, but said it was consensual.  SO, it is his word against mine.  SO local Sheriff says take CVSA.  I agreed.  No problem  But refused to sign release form.  SO, charges dropped due to MY lack of cooperation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am the victim here.  I told the truth, he did not!  Pics of bruises on my body taken by local police department.  I did NOT give consent for bruises being left on my body!  I told them I would take CVSA, but would not sign release, which is MY right!  Victims obviously have none here.

YIM  
IP Logged

22 y.o. law student fails FBI polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X