Normal Topic Son's Expierence with Local Police - CVSA (Read 3681 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box momee
New User

Son's Expierence with Local Police - CVSA
Jan 24th, 2006 at 5:44pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
A detective from our local police contacted my 18 year old son recently to question him about $2000 that was stolen from a manager's vehicle outside my son's place of employment. The detective asked him to come in the following day for a Voiceograph. He agreed and I accompanied him, thinking little of it other than getting his name checked off the list of people that might have been involved.

After about 20 minutes the detective came out and informed me that my son had failed the test and that "he did it" and that the detective would be sending his file over to the prosecutor's office.

I insisted vehemently they were wrong and was repeatedly told "he did it." At several points in our conversation the detective said if this is his first time to be in trouble the prosecutor would probably work with him. 

My son and I left the police station and I read the riot act to him just in case he did do it. (I feel like a real sorry mother for that). It didn't take much for him to confirm to me that he had nothing to do with this crime. We went to my son's bank and obtained a printed transaction report of his bank account dating through the time the money was stolen. This clearly showed through multiple transactions that he was accessing his account for $5 purchases on his check card, withdrawing $20 from the ATM, and that his balance only reflected his income from working at his minimum wage job. None of which was congruent to the banking activities of someone who had stolen $2000.

We returned to the police station and I handed a copy of the bank transactions to the detective asking him to please include it with the "file" he was sending to the prosecutor. 

He began backing off at that point and told my son he would call the prosecutor on his behalf if my son would get a haircut. 

The following day I phoned the detective to inform him my son had a haircut (the haircut is the only good thing to come out of this) and to also tell him I'd done a little research on the net regarding the hokey voiceograph. His reponse was that one can find any information they seek to back up their position on the "internet." Futhormore he added, "the federal government is using it to interrogate Al-Queda." 

In the end, I have to say, I KNEW BETTER and disregarding my instincts I trusted the cops to do what was the RIGHT thing. However, their goal is to close another case regardless of how they do it. If a few innocent people get raked through the crap along the way that is just part of it.

Never again. I have given strict instructions to my son that if our police department or any law enforcement ever contact him again, he is to shut his mouth and wait for his phone call and a lawyer.

I am also writing letters to the editors of our local papers asking the local police departments to just buy Fisher-Price Kareoke Machines and tell the people they are investigating they are voiceographs. This should have the same effect as CVSA, yet save our tax dolllars.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Son's Expierence with Local Police - CVSA
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 6:14pm
I'm sorry you and your son had to learn the hard way that CVSA is bogus. Indeed, the "National Institute of Truth Verification" which markets this expensive toy has admitted in court that CVSA is not capable of lie detection.

Unfortunately, the detective's remark about the federal government using CVSA to interrogate Al-Qaeda is true, and there are now reportedly more than 100 military CVSA operators.

On a final note, I think the detective's making his delivery of the exculpatory information to the prosecutor contigent upon your son's getting a haircut was completely inappropriate. You might want to file a complaint against this detective with the department's internal affairs office or other oversight body.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 6:48pm
momee

If the police have no other evidence than the CVSA, I wouldn't worry to much right now. It's not admissable in a court of law. It's only utility is badgering a confession from the subject. Tell your lawyer to check out this website. I believe I read where the inventer of the CVSA has admitted that it is no lie detector. It's only an investigation tool. Like the polygraph. Your lawyer should file a "Motion to Supress" this invalid test.

The courts have given the police permission to lie like a rug. But tell them a lie and it's hell to pay.

When your son wins the case, then file a damage lawsuit that will include lawyer fees. If people will do this, it won't long before these hokey machines and their operators will vanish.

When the police made the haircut deal with your son, they violated your son's civil rights and that is a federal violation. I would immediately file that action in your Federal District Court. A good offense makes a better defense.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box confusus
New User

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 9:10am
Listen I have got to tell you. The Police and other LE agencies do have some good people. They also have some very bad people. To some of them it is a business. Not everyone of them is concerned with truth and justice. Some are just trying to make it stick, to hell with whether they are innocent or guilty. The more people they can get convictions on (again innocence doesn't matter), the better they will look to their superriors. It's about politics and career progression. The Poly/CVSA is nothing more than a tool to get the guilty (who don't know anybetter) to confess. Is there some good that comes from the Poly/CVSA, in my opinion "Yes". The problem is that it does a lot more harm than good. Too many good people (and now your son has joined the numbers here), are labeld liars/cheets/thieves/spies or terrorists. This is completely against the American way. The problem is that the POLY/CVSA travesty is incorporated throughout our government. Someone said, telling the FBI that the poly is not reliable is like telling a Mother that her child is ugly. This is a very true statement for a lot of government agencies. It is also a fact that if the truth about the POLY/CVSA was ever made truely public, alot of people and compaines would go bankrupt and lose their jobs. In my opinion, it is what they deserve for basing their entire lives on deception. The polygraphers have done just that. It is a sad fact. It is truely unfortunate. Too may LE officers are using this tool instead of good, hard police work. For the detective to come out and say that your son was guilty, was more than likely just a ploy to get him to confess. The Detectives/Cops are just trying to solve a situation with the least amount of effort and as quickly as possible. Unless the cop was just really that lazy and stupid, which I doubt. However, it is possible, they are out there. I am sorry that you had to go through this, but if this is the only thing that a poly/cvsa ever does to you, you are very lucky. Many, many people are not as fortunate. There is some good to come of this. Now you and your son are not nearly as naive as before. Remember, if anyone is ever accuesed of a crime, always, always, always ask for a lawyer and say NOTHING, MAKE NO STATEMENTS. And if they ask you to take a Poly/CVSA, tell them "Hell No". Tell them that it is BENEATH YOU. Tell them that you are too good for that and that they need to do their job. Just my 2 cents, but I feel very strongly that good people should not be hurt by a machine that does nothing but records physicological reactions from fear. It is not possible for any machine to read anyone's thoughts, and I doubt very seriously whether there ever will be. Good luck to you and your son.
     If the POLY/CVSA was 100%, we would not need courts, they could just go straight to jail.

IP Logged

Son's Expierence with Local Police - CVSA

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X