Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Common polygraph myths (Read 17418 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Re: Common polygraph myths
Reply #15 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 8:38pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Two Block,

I was VERY confused during the verbal assault on my character. Since I had been completely honest, I didn't know what to believe. I thought it may have been some sort of additional testing or that something had really gone wrong with the test. While my examiner said horrible things about me, I was busy trying to defend myself and convince him that I had told the truth. It's hard to keep up--the put-downs and slams are flying so fast. I have a fair amount of patience, but I had been pushed so far with the insults, that at one point, I almost completely lost my temper and felt a strong urge to curse at the examiner and tell him exactly what I thought of him. However, the little voice inside my head told me that no matter what had gone wrong with the test, cursing at the examiner couldn't possibly help. I took the high road and even though my examiner treated me like a piece of trash, I exercised restraint and was respectful to him at all times. That doesn't mean, however, that I didn't give him some back. I challenged him, even putting him in the hot seat, at one point. Looking back, not losing it and not allowing him to get the best of me satisfies me. It wasn't easy to maintain my composure, resisting the tempation to tell him off. By the time I left the examination room, my examiner was really worked up and bent out of shape. He definitely earned his money that day, if there is such a thing when it comes to polygraphy. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Onesimus
Very Senior User

Myth #8
Reply #16 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 5:58am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Myth #8 -- People shouldn't complain about the polygraph test since few things in life are 100%

One can just imagine a polygrapher coming home from a test with a 50% and using this excuse on their parents -- few people scored a 100% on the test, so there is no reason to complain about their score.

Of course, the list arguments of against polygraph testing doesn't end with the (valid) complaint about its poor accuracy.   It also includes, for example, the foolishness of allowing people who are paid to lie, harass, and use bad technology to evaluate the suitability of applicants.  Given that we expect people charged with protecting our national security to be truthfull, respectfull, and technologically savy, why on earth do we allow people who choose to get paid to do the exact opposite of these things to tell us who is a good person and who is a bad person?

Additional note on myth #6 -- during one of my exams (second with this agency), my polygrapher insisted that I must tell her something to explain why I responded to one of the questions.  I refused to do so, since I had nothing relevant to say about that question.  She said that she had to fail me unless I confessed something.  It appears that polygraphers will do anything to beef up their utility and accuracy statistics -- if the applicant confesses something, then they can claim the test was accurate, if they don't then they must fail.  Few people won't come up with something to confess in this situation.  I confessed nothing, so I failed the question, but was still able to pass it during my next (third) examination.

During this exam (second) I mentioned to my polygrapher that I know people who have made up stuff to appease an examiner, but my concerns were dismissed.  Others lied to appease the polygrapher and passed, I held on to the high moral ground and failed.

IP Logged

Common polygraph myths

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X