Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Polygraphs in Sex Offender Treatment (Read 30792 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box palerider
Senior User

Re: Polygraphs in Sex Offender Treatment
Reply #15 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 6:01am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Condoms are not 100% effective---but good enough for me to use. But for my (probablly) sexually active teen children, I don't feel that they are effective enough. Hello------ever heard of the parental double standard? 
Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

Reply #16 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 9:27am
palerider wrote on Mar 1st, 2007 at 9:06pm:
Nor would I, a polygraph Examiner. No child's safety is or should be put into risk by a polygraph test that at it's very best accuracy (97%?) would be 3% short of being trustworthy (I have 3 young children.) Similarly, you will find that even oncologists who treat their family members will get a second and third opinion on a positive biopsy. Again I say that at no time does a "passed poly" sex offender on parole/probation EVER get the green light, or get ignored/unmonitored.

Your statement that the polygraph is 97% accurate is not supported by the literature - both pro and anti...

If supervised sex offenders never get ignored or unmonitored, wouldn't that mean that there should be no recidivism in this population because they would have no chance to reoffend? 

Do you really believe that a parole office with a caseload of 70 to 120 offenders can effectively monitor all them? 

Do you really believe that these POs would not take nondeceptive results to mean that increased supervision is unwarranted because the offender is being compliant?

Do you really believe that an offender who has a nondeceptive test is always compliant?

palerider wrote on Mar 2nd, 2007 at 6:01am:
Condoms are not 100% effective---but good enough for me to use. But for my (probablly) sexually active teen children, I don't feel that they are effective enough. Hello------ever heard of the parental double standard? 
Undecided

Comparing the accuracy of polygraphs (a device that has both false positives and false negatives) with effectiveness of condoms (which either stop sperm or do not stop sperm) is simply misdirection. You better stick with your medical diagnosis analogies...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #17 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 11:41am
digithead,

I find it disturbing that someone so deeply deluded as to believe that polygraphic lie detection might have an accuracy rate as high as 97% has anything to do with the supervision of convicted sex offenders. And to suppose that probation and parole officers who have drunk the polygraph Kool-Aid won't make decisions based on the results is sheer lunacy.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ecchasta
User

Reply #18 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 3:49pm
In reference to condoms, the numerical efficacy of condoms has been scientifically test and those tests are repeatable.

As far as I'm aware, in all cases where polygraphy has been subjected to scientific testing, the results have been that polygraph is about as good as a coin flip.  I feel no comfort in the fact that a sex offender has "passed" a poly. 

Please cite you source for the 97% effectiveness claim.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lienot
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 9:40pm
How accurate is the polygraph?
In 1990, Norman Ansley1 published a report of polygraph validity from studies of real cases conducted since 1980. Researchers conducted twelve validity studies based on 3,174 real cases. Polygraphist’s decisions in those cases were compared to other results such as confessions, factual evidence and judicial dispositions. The results, assuming every disagreement was a polygraph error, indicated a validity of 98% when polygraphists score their own polygraph charts. According to Matte2, the algorithms that score computerized polygraph tests are correct about 95% of the time. 
References:
1. Ansley, Norman, (ed.) (1997). November-December, “The Validity and Reliability of Polygraph Testing,” American Polygraph Association Newsletter, 30 (6): 6 
2. Matte, Ph.D., James. (1996) Forensic Psychophysiology Using the Polygraph, J.A.M Publications, pp 424-425.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #20 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 10:57pm
Quote:
How accurate is the polygraph?
In 1990, Norman Ansley1 published a report of polygraph validity from studies of real cases conducted since 1980. Researchers conducted twelve validity studies based on 3,174 real cases. Polygraphist’s decisions in those cases were compared to other results such as confessions, factual evidence and judicial dispositions. The results, assuming every disagreement was a polygraph error, indicated a validity of 98% when polygraphists score their own polygraph charts. According to Matte2, the algorithms that score computerized polygraph tests are correct about 95% of the time. 
References:
1. Ansley, Norman, (ed.) (1997). November-December, “The Validity and Reliability of Polygraph Testing,” American Polygraph Association Newsletter, 30 (6): 6 
2. Matte, Ph.D., James. (1996) Forensic Psychophysiology Using the Polygraph, J.A.M Publications, pp 424-425.

You're going to rely on a study published in a polygraph newsletter to prove that accuracy is high? That's pretty funny. One would think that with those results he could've gotten into a top-tier psychology journal...

So how do you refute the National Academy of Science conclusion that "Estimates of accuracy from these 57 studies are almost certainly higher than actual polygraph accuracy of specific-incident testing in the field. Laboratory studies tend to overestimate accuracy because laboratory conditions involve much less variation in test implementation, in the characteristics of examinees, and in the nature and context of investigations than arise in typical field applications. Observational studies of polygraph testing in the field are plagued by selection and measurement biases, such as the inclusion of tests carried out by examiners with knowledge of the evidence and of cases whose outcomes are affected by the examination. In addition, they frequently lack a clear and independent determination of truth. Due to these inherent biases, observational field studies are also highly likely to overestimate real-world polygraph accuracy."

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #21 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 7:08pm
Not looking for argument, simply posted two studies conducted that indicate high accuracy rates.  I'm not concerned about publishing them or seeing them published nor am I concerned about scientific validity, just responding to the prior post about studies. 

Palerider did not post them or respond.  I will however look for other studies that have been published and are in fact studies that have validity according to "YOUR" standards.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #22 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 11:31pm
Quote:
Not looking for argument, simply posted two studies conducted that indicate high accuracy rates.  I'm not concerned about publishing them or seeing them published nor am I concerned about scientific validity, just responding to the prior post about studies. 

Palerider did not post them or respond.  I will however look for other studies that have been published and are in fact studies that have validity according to "YOUR" standards.  

These are not "MY" standards, rather they are the standards set forth and accepted by the National Science Foundation, National Institute of Health, Nationa Institute of Justice, National Academy of Science, and countless other academic and professional organizations. Simply put, most estimates of polygraph "accuracy" fail to control for confounding, selection bias, and measurement error. They also mix studies with different outcomes and do not distinguish properly between the two types of error (false positives and negatives). Finally, they all fail to properly understand the difference between validity, reliability, and repeatability...

If these high estimates of accuracy are only accepted by the polygraph community and are roundly rejected by the larger scientific community (NSF, NIH, NAS, psych community) as absurd, what does that say about the polygraph profession?

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 2:56am
As stated before, not looking for an argument or really a discussion relating to any studies or validity of studies.  Simply posted two from the polygraph community.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #24 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 8:35pm
Quote:
As stated before, not looking for an argument or really a discussion relating to any studies or validity of studies.  Simply posted two from the polygraph community.  

Then why bother posting at all? Is it merely a rebuttal to my claim that the literature does not support the notion of such an absurdly high accuracy rate? Then I stand corrected and amend my claim to say that independently peer-reviewed literature published in academic journals do not support the notion that the CQT polygraph can have any high degree of accuracy...

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #25 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 9:47pm
Thank you so much for your "Amendment".  Still no debate or further discussion.  That post was for information only and is only supported by proponents of Polygraph, conducted by Polygraphists, and used by polygraphists.  Thought you might find it of interest.  Sorry to have disappointed you.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #26 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 9:59pm
Quote:
Thank you so much for your "Amendment".  Still no debate or further discussion.  That post was for information only and is only supported by proponents of Polygraph, conducted by Polygraphists, and used by polygraphists.  Thought you might find it of interest.  Sorry to have disappointed you. 

Perhaps the reason you're not interested in debate or further discussion is that you know you're shoveling shit?

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #27 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 2:52am
Quote:

Perhaps the reason you're not interested in debate or further discussion is that you know you're shoveling shit?

My, my.  Isn't that an articulate statement... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #28 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 8:08am
nonombre wrote on Mar 8th, 2007 at 2:52am:

My, my.  Isn't that an articulate statement... Roll Eyes

I chose my words carefully. I think that ridicule is the only appropriate response to one who advocates a viewpoint while refusing to discuss or debate it, as if that were somehow a virtue.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #29 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 7:00pm
[quote author=Lienot link=board=post;num=1135087381;start=0#19 date=03/04/07 at 13:40:01]How accurate is the polygraph?
Researchers conducted twelve validity studies based on 3,174 real cases. Polygraphist’s decisions in those cases were compared to other results such as confessions, factual evidence and judicial dispositions. The results, assuming every disagreement was a polygraph error, indicated a validity of 98% when polygraphists score their own polygraph charts. 

What is there to debate in this post?  Validity? Method used for the study?  It is not a published study in journals other than polygraph journals?

I did not participate in the studies, have  only read them and believe you should read them before making the statement you made. 

I really don't like debating in this format, I prefer face to face debate and deiscussion.   

I will not return your insult Mr. Maschke. Your ad hominem attack deserves no return or retribution.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Polygraphs in Sex Offender Treatment

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X