Normal Topic Intresting LE pre-employ poly. Did I pass? (Read 6374 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seamarshal
New User

Intresting LE pre-employ poly. Did I pass?
Dec 14th, 2005 at 3:39am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello everyone, I  have been reading this forum for the last 5 months, I tell you, a lot of good things here.
Ok, I have a question about my polygraph experience and I need some reflection.

Today was the day that I was scheduled to take the polygraph test for a major police dept. I showed up with a nice suit and tie, looking professional, looking like the part.
A gentleman from the desk said hello, what is your name, and so on.
He handed me a few sheet of paper and told me to fill it out, Once I started to look at the paper it was pretty much the same exact thing that was on my personal questioner sheet, such as employment history, addresses and so on and so on,  Luckily I made copies of my PHQS and brought it with me in a folder. I noticed the guy next to me struggling to fill out his paper due to the fact that he did not bring his. And know one told us to bring reference material. So I felt good and confident.
So one of the examiners called me in and it was time!! 8)
There really was no pretest, just in reality it was more like an interview. He wanted to clarify some things and so. The chair that I was sitting on was directly next to his, and everything was good.  Then he told me that it was time it hook up to the machine.  He told me to move the chair so that it was facing away from him and he told me to look straight at the wall!!!  During the first set everything was good, To keep my mine of my nervousness I started to notice all of the scuff and kick marks that was on the wall, I thought to my self DAMN !!
Then I started getting nervous during questioning, however I was able to control my nervousness by looking staring straight at a wall socket.  I tell you guys that were the most orange wall socket that I ever seen, and I even started to imagine living inside of the socket.  Ok after a few minutes of interrogation, he told me to relax, however I kept my breathing pattern the same. He had me right a number on a sheet of paper; he told me that the next set of questions will consists of me saying no to all of the questions that referred to the number.  Ok cool everything was fine, and there was no need of me pretending to live in the wall socket!!!After this set of questions, he told me this, "DO you know how your mom can tell if your lying?" "I replied no!!"  Then he replied c’mon, 10 years in the service?  He also made jesters.  after that he ask me the same first set of questions in different order, afterwards, he told me to relax, again I was still hooked up to the machine and I was still breathing the same, then he turned around in his chair and told me to that he was turning around however and that he will still listen to me, I had nothing to say! Why did he turn around?  Oh well, I was trying to see what he was doing it seems that he was writing some stuff down.  What could it be?  Also, I was still hooked to the machine!!! Lips Sealed  After a couple of mins, he started the exam again, and then that was it.  What a ride!!!  Thought the whole test I could hear my heart beating in by head!!!!!  THUMP,THUMP,THUMP !!!!  However I remained call and maintained the same breathing.  Then the test was over.  Immediately afterwards he asked me "what will your graph tell me?"
I replied "HONESTY!"  Then he told me that this was not an interrogation, and purpose behind it.  Then he told me if there was anything you want to tell me?  I replied no, then he stated the there was 4 indication of deception.  I asked what it was, he told me, then that was it.  The I did the stupid thing!!!  I asked did I pass?  He then told me that there was no pass or fail, also afterward he stated that I will get my results within 2 weeks and 4 weeks later a BI will contact you.  I don’t get it is this standard blurbage that the examiner says after every test or is this an indication that I passed?  Also during the pre-exam interview he had me write down When I smoked pot, (I am 30) Tried pot once at age 16.  And also had me write down that I have been in a car collision (minor) with no police involvement or lawsuit.  What gives?
Guys I just want to know if I passed what you think.
From What I mentioned, did I have a post test?
???
Please help
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2005 at 6:02pm by Seamarshal »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rogets
New User

Re: Intresting LE test. Did I pass?
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 1:07pm
Dear Sir,
I do not know from what country you hail.  But, you definitley  need to enroll within a basic English spelling and grammer course as soon as possible.  Good luck with your future goals in the law enforcement community.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box railroaded
New User

Re: Intresting LE test. Did I pass?
Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 5:39pm
rogets wrote on Dec 14th, 2005 at 1:07pm:
Dear Sir,
I do not know from what country you hail.  But, you definitley  need to enroll within a basic English spelling and grammer course as soon as possible.  Good luck with your future goals in the law enforcement community.
Does anyone else see the irony in this post?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mustbaliar
Senior User

Re: Intresting LE pre-employ poly. Did I pass?
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 5:49pm
I see the irony.   

Rogets, read your post to find the irony.  Do you have anything to contribute?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 5:38pm
He goes something that I stumbled across, I took the poly exam as part of a pre-employment process.
Just to let you guys know, I'm currently a federal law enforcement officer with no blemishes on my past, how as previously posted, what do you guys think about what my results could be, 
read this post that I found somewhere elses:
and put everything all together and come up with a possible answer to my previous post!!
Let the opions begin!!!!!!
Relase to catapults !!!!
TO OWAR !!!
The polygraph is probably the single biggest eliminator of candidates. Whether being dishonest or honest, it is far from consistent. In talking with a detective that does this phase for his HR dept in the hiring phase, his comments were that it holds absolutely NO basis, it is simply a way to boot you and hide behind the so-called results. He flat admitted it. He said they pretty much have their mind made up, but like using the tool to 'mold' you a little more before the academy, kinda like knocking you down another notch. This also gives them an 'out' if you make it thur areas that they cannot control - exam, phys tests, record checks, BG checks, but if they don't care for things like height, weight, demeanor, or even race, they can use this as their out with no explanation except you flunked. Many think they are still doing a BG check with this - wrong. They already know your goods and if something didn't jive in that phase, you would never make it to the poly. That is, if the poly is AFTER the BG check and is the last part of the hiring process. Some use it before the checking is begun. For vaild use they do use it for checking for truthfulness on your character, things that without a conviction or record, are impossible to find out. Like, drug use, stealing, lying, feelings on use of lethal force, driving drunk etc. It's easy to answer 'no' on the application, but they want to see how you respond when asked. MANY honest people flunk this step, it's a joke in my opinion. Why use something for picking your officers that has no vailidity in the justice system. Just plain dumb, but this is just one man's opinion.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 7:51pm
Seamarshal

The info in your post, I believe, is known by a large percentage of LE apps who have failed the poly. That's why I advocate a lawsuit to hold them accountable and regain one's integrety. I nearly always get a negative response even though their possibilities in LE are squelched. They seem to think one can't take on police and sheriff's depts., counties and states and win. Well that's BS. See my post in "Off-topic Posts". When right is on your side, you CAN win. And does't always take a lawyer though, in tough cases, it's better to have one.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 8:06pm
Thanks for your insight, but how about an answer to my questions. As far as fighting, I dont know if I passed or not yet. What do you think? ???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 8:53pm
Seamarshal

I'm sorry, but can't answer your question. I am not in LE and have never gone through the hell that LE apps. go through to get a job. However, from reading many other posts, I seem to remember that if your polygrapher told you that you would be contacted by BI that you more than likely passed. Otherwise why would it be necessary for the BI to contact you? I am betting that someone, maybe George or Gino,  will answer you with better insight.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sung_manitu_tanka
New User

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 10:08pm
Rogets,

I appreciate your concern for proper spelling and grammar.

That's why I'm certain you will appreciate my efforts to correct yours.

Having reviewed your three posts to this forum, I request that you go back and correct the 24 mistakes I've found so far and then we can review the matter for further action.

Thanks puddin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 10:53pm
Lakota Great Wolf, (Sung Manitu Tanka) 

You really had to do some digging for that handle.
Before you go complaining about someones posts, how about making a few for others to judge.  Don't judge, lest you be judged.  Add to the forum ... Much better than complaining.

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mountainman
New User

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2006 at 7:08am
sung_manitu_tanka wrote on Jan 29th, 2006 at 10:08pm:
Rogets,

I appreciate your concern for proper spelling and grammar.

That's why I'm certain you will appreciate my efforts to correct yours.

Having reviewed your three posts to this forum, I request that you go back and correct the 24 mistakes I've found so far and then we can review the matter for further action.

Thanks puddin

LOL!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #11 - May 4th, 2006 at 1:57pm
yes, you passed or he would not have told you that a BI will call you and you would have faced a more severe post test interrogation. That is my opinion.

IP Logged

Intresting LE pre-employ poly. Did I pass?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X