Normal Topic FIT test... (Read 3090 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box swivel
New User

FIT test...
Dec 14th, 2005 at 3:35am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
so my last step is the FIT test.  what are the pitfalls i should avoid in training and in the test itself?  any suggestions for successful training that might break up the monotony of my own routine would also be appreciated...!

swiv.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Re: FIT test...
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 10:54am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Swivel,

I'm not sure which agency you've applied to and the specifics of the FIT test.

Still, no matter what the test is, one thing is definite: it will involve some sort of middle distance run.  If you don't run on a regular basis, you need to start running NOW.

First, pick up a good set of shoes. You need to visit a specialty running shop in your area with a knowledgeable staff that will help you find the right shoes for YOUR body mechanics. 

Case in point: A few years ago, I had a pair of great Asics running shoes that reached the end of their useful life. Unsure of the model name, I went into a store and picked up the most expensive Asics running shoe, the Gel Kayano. To my dismay, I hated them—it was like running in cement loafers.

I later found out I bought a completely different style of shoe from my last pair. The Kayano is a motion control shoe, designed to help people who pronate severely (feet roll inwards). It was way too much for me, as I am nearly neutral, and also wear custom orthotics (shoe inserts—I get them on the cheap, as a friend is a nationally renowned pedorthist).

I then went out and bought the newest model of the shoe I originally had (found the box with the name), the Gel Nimbus-a cushioned shoe. What a difference. They are super plush, like running on pillows. 

Once you get shoes, you can think about a program.

I would run distance (20-60 minutes) 2-3 times a week, sprint/interval workouts 1-2 times a week.

Taku's Interval Training is a great workout favored by many athletes involved in the sport of mixed martial arts (more commonly known as “Ultimate Fighting”). Keep it down to 1-2x week, because it will kick you in the ass if you do it right.

Another workout you may wish to consider is something by Stew Smith. He has a fantastic reputation, although I cannot personally vouch for any of his materials. I just know that a lot of people swear by them.

Lastly, you may wish to consider a heart rate monitor. It can really help guide your training and let you know when you are doing too much. Polar makes a great product—check eBay for some good deals.

IP Logged

FIT test...

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X