Normal Topic applying to ALOT of departments (Read 1847 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box billmann
New User

applying to ALOT of departments
Nov 9th, 2005 at 2:17am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Lets say for example I applied for 25 departments.  If I passed some polygraphs and failed some how would this affect me. Does anyone have a opinion on this or any past experiences? I need some advice because I think I am going to apply for a lot of agencies hoping it will increase my chances of getting hired. But in doing this I would have to take more polygraphs which means more chances to fail the test.

I dont have anything to hide but I do not trust poly's.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: applying to ALOT of departments
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 8:29pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
billman,

I am not sure why you would want to apply for so many departments (25), as I cannot imagine actually filling out 25 applications and background packets and still being able to wrtie or keep my sanity.   

The reality of it is that the more you apply the worst it will look.  People tend to assume and generalize and the general assumption may be that 1) you are indecisive and will more than likely use their department as a stepping stone  2) This is probably most important and that is that their is "something" in your past that is preventing you from getting hired on with the departments you applied for or that makes you undesirable.

While some departments do actually share the info they collect on you during the BI, many also do not and therein lies the problem.  The department may feel that the other department discovered something about you and that is why you did not get hired.   

Failing a polygraph for a department may be very detrimental.  I had never failed a polygraph, but had received inconclusive results.  It amazed me how when I applied for departments (many of which DID NOT polygraph) the issue came up during the BI or the OB and their general attitude was that I had FAILED the polygraph and had to explain myself to them.  I got real bad migraines attempting to explain to these people that an inconclusive result was not a failure and utlimately did not get hired on with them.  This I attribute to the "inconclusive" result which left doubt in their minds about my integrity as they assumed a polygraph was never wrong and that anything but a passing grade meant you were hiding something.

In my life I have worked for 4 different departments and had very good experiences with each of them.  I would say that I probably applied for a little over 12 departments in my life and am VERY tired of filling out packets and going through background investigations.  All in all, I would say I applied to too many departments and most of the time really had no intention of relocating or working for some of them.  25 is way too many.   

Best advice I can give you is pick 5 departments you really want to work for and apply there and give each of them 100%. Taking a polygraph sucks and can potentially ruin your chances of getting hired in LE, so I would tread softly on applying with departments that do.  While I never failed a poly, I think if I had failed one in the past, it may have affected the opinion of the polygrapher for the polygraph I eventually passed, as I know my inconclusive had an effect on all my polygraphs as I received more than one inconclusive after that first one.

It is a risk you are going to have to take and a decision you will have to make on your own.  Remember, there are many departments that do not polygraph yet and I would more than likely stick with those before taking the chance of having a failed polygraph haunt you.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

applying to ALOT of departments

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X