Normal Topic States banning polygraph testing (Read 25920 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dukhunter99
New User

States banning polygraph testing
Nov 7th, 2005 at 4:14am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place but I thought it was kind of on the subject. I was wondering if anyone knew any other states that have banned polygraph testing or is in the process of banning them. Is there a website that has this info on the states?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box kidcali
New User

Re: States banning polygraph testing
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:11pm
I know it's illegal to polygraph in Oregon.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:14pm
In addition to Oregon, lie detector "testing" is prohibited from the workplace in Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, and New Jersey.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:32pm
NEWS FLASH!

It is no longer illegal for Oregon LE agencies to use the polygraph as a pre-hiring screening tool.  The law was changed last year.  They can now use it, but cannot use the results of the polygraph solely as the reason to deny employment.  (Yeah, right).

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:36pm
George W. Maschke wrote on Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:14pm:
In addition to Oregon, lie detector "testing" is prohibited from the workplace in Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, and New Jersey.

I wonder if those states have a higher percentage of "bad cops" or corruption, or police misconduct.  It would be a facinating study, to see if the polygraph screening actually results in a better cop.  I postulate that just the opposite would be found, and here is why.

By using polygraph screening as opposed to a thorough background check, the agency simply gets people who have no life experience, (like have never done anything wrong) or people who can manipulate the results of the polygraph to fool the examiner.  With either group, one would likely think they would be more susceptable to tempation than a good ol Joe who has proven him self trustworthy through his acts and deeds.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lethe
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 5:17am
nopolycop wrote on Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:36pm:
George W. Maschke wrote on Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:14pm:

I wonder if those states have a higher percentage of "bad cops" or corruption, or police misconduct.  It would be a facinating study, to see if the polygraph screening actually results in a better cop.  I postulate that just the opposite would be found, and here is why.

By using polygraph screening as opposed to a thorough background check, the agency simply gets people who have no life experience, (like have never done anything wrong) or people who can manipulate the results of the polygraph to fool the examiner.  With either group, one would likely think they would be more susceptable to tempation than a good ol Joe who has proven him self trustworthy through his acts and deeds.

Agencies that rely heavily on the polygraph will also have a lower than expected portion of employees who are critical thinkers since those sorts of people are the most likely to doubt the validity of the polygraph and the most likely to learn about how it really works.

Because knowledge of how the polygraph really works correlates negatively with the chances of a truthful person to pass the polygraph polygraphers do everything they can to keep people from finding out the truth.  This includes attempts to keep people from questioning authority, a task more fit for an SS agent than a police officer.   

It also includes attempts to discredit scientific research by people outside the polygraph-industrial complex and attempts to manipulate and spin the results of research conducted by friendly supporters, something which should give all Americans concern in an age where science is so vitally important to our society.  Creationists must love polygraphers, they're on the same page when it comes to promoting real science and critical thought.

Polygraphers probably keep their children stupid so that they can more easily detect their lies.  Yeah, when they're so dumb they think you're going to believe they didn't eat the missing cookies while having crumbs all over their shirt you'll probably be able to tell pretty easily when they're lying.  A polygrapher stops thinking at that point and considers that a good deal, never taking the next step to consider whether the cost of infantilizing their child is in anyone's long-term interest.

Is former APA President Skip Webb evil or just stupid?

Is former APA President Ed Gelb an idiot or does the polygraph just not work?

Did you know that polygrapher Sackett doesn't care about detecting deception to relevant questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box USAwarrior
New User

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 9:55am
When did they stop using the polygraph in Oregon?
-USAwarrior

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box soGirlfriend

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 5:10am
kidcali wrote on Apr 23rd, 2008 at 6:11pm:
I know it's illegal to polygraph in Oregon.

This is NOT true. My boyfriend just got sent to jail for 16 months and 104 days because a judge determanded his character based on a false deception on his polygraph and he is in Oregon. Might depend on the county. His is clackamas.

IP Logged

States banning polygraph testing

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X