Normal Topic passed poly once = pass it again? (Read 1765 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box lookingforajob
Ex Member

passed poly once = pass it again?
Sep 22nd, 2005 at 4:40am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I (was told by my examiner that I) passed a CIA polygraph recently but had my job offer rescinded for "suitability" reasons, whatever that means.

I am now applying to another agency and have to take another polygraph.  The first polygraph used control, relevant, and irrelevant questions.  My tactic with the first polygraph was just to *stay as calm as possible* and I had never even heard of countermeasures when I took it.  That plan seems to have worked, though it didn't secure me a job.

With this new poly I'm supposed to be taking, I'm inclined to just do exactly what I did the first time.  But after reading about the different types of polys in use and all the variation, I'm wondering if passing it once is any guarantee I can pass it again.

Has anyone ever passed a poly only to fail another one later?  Or do some people with the appropriate physiology (that hopefully includes me!) just not have problems with polys?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JB933
New User

Re: passed poly once = pass it again?
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 5:43am
Seems to me that if whatever you did worked before, do it again.  I took a poly 2 weeks ago, told the truth, and failed it.  I figured I didn't need any countermeasures becuase, after all, I was being honest.  Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: passed poly once = pass it again?
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 11:13pm
lookingforajob,

Passing a polygraph once is no guarantee that one will pass a second time. To the best of my knowledge, there are no scientific studies of CQT polygraph test-retest reliability. But more importantly, the entire procedure has no scientific basis to begin with.

That said, your having passed a CIA polygraph may help you to pass the other agency's polygraph. When your polygrapher asks about any past polygraph experience, and you mention that you passed a CIA polygraph, it will presumably tend to increase his/her confidence in your honesty and expectation that you will also pass his/her examination.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

passed poly once = pass it again?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X