Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Horror Story (Read 39794 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dungadin
New User

Re: Horror Story
Reply #60 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 5:16am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
OK, I've done some more thinking. It's not a matter of being up to the task, it's simply a matter of being realistic.

First, I don't have a criminal record. The police officer said that a failed poly makes them think of me as a criminal (loosely quoted) but that's not the same as having an official criminal record.

Second, while this situation may be unfair, it is not unjust. I knew the rules going in. I didn't do any research beforehand and paid the price (I didn't have anything to hide so I didn't worry about it). The police followed the law, I don' t doubt it.

Third, regarding mental anguish, yes - it sucked. It still does. However, I voluntarily submitted myself for the test. No one made me do it.

I would love to see the laws changed. If my record really is tarnished (I'm not sure it is), then I would like to clear it. However, I don't see any basis for a legal claim. There is no way that I could win. One needs to be 100% confident before making a legal challenge against a government. I signed waivers. I signed statements indicating that I understood the rules. I could only screw myself further if I sued and I'm not even sure I'm screwed right now!

The question remains, what happens next? I read a report on this site claiming that 75% of rejected applicants at one agency are rejected because of the poly. According to another statement, 50% of truthful applicants fail the poly because they are nervous (that's my category).

That's a heck of a lot of people! What are they doing now? Washing dishes at a greasy spoon along with released felons? Are they living productive lives?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #61 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 9:38pm
Dungadin:

Did you really know the rules going in? Did you know that you were submitting to an invalid, unreliable testing procedure when you gave consent? You probably believed in the polygraph like most people. After all, why would local, federal and state governments use it if it didn't work? That's how I looked at it. When I signed my waiver, I thought I had control over the situation by simply telling the truth. I didn't know my fate would be determined by a so-called test as reliable as a coin toss and a wacko, jerk polygraph examiner. That's not exactly informed consent. Had I been informed, I never would have consented to such an arrangement and I'm sure you wouldn't have, either.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #62 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 10:01pm
Polyfool,

You raise an excellent point. Persons who sign polygraph liability waivers agreeing to hold harmless a polygraph operator and the agency that employs him cannot be assumed to have granted informed consent. On the contrary, it is standard practice for polygraph operators to disinform examinees about polygraph procedure and validity.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

Reply #63 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 7:15am
Wait a second, am I missing something here?  I don't remember signing a poly waiver.  All I remember was initialling a few nonsense questions.

polyfool wrote on Sep 25th, 2005 at 9:38pm:
Dungadin:

Did you really know the rules going in? Did you know that you were submitting to an invalid, unreliable testing procedure when you gave consent? You probably believed in the polygraph like most people. After all, why would local, federal and state governments use it if it didn't work? That's how I looked at it. When I signed my waiver, I thought I had control over the situation by simply telling the truth. I didn't know my fate would be determined by a so-called test as reliable as a coin toss and a wacko, jerk polygraph examiner. That's not exactly informed consent. Had I been informed, I never would have consented to such an arrangement and I'm sure you wouldn't have, either.  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #64 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 4:11pm
Johnn wrote on Sep 26th, 2005 at 7:15am:
Wait a second, am I missing something here?  I don't remember signing a poly waiver.  All I remember was initialling a few nonsense questions.

Johnn: The form that you remember initialing and giving written responses to the FBI guidelines required your signature to proceed with the test. BY signing that form you gave your permission to be polygraphed. However, what your polygrapher didn't tell you was that you were submitting to a scientifically invalid, unreliable testing procedure that if you failed would blacklist you from future federal law enforcement employment and would be released to any other federal agency to which you apply.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box IC_employee
New User

Reply #65 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 5:18pm
i didnt feel like reading through the new threads. any update on this one?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #66 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 8:42pm
Dungadin:

Some would agree that by definition that a person is a criminal if convicted of a crime. In the legal sense you are not a criminal if you have not been convicted of a crime. If you correctly heard the officer say "you are considered a criminal" because you might have failed a polygraph exam then you should prcoeed to get some answers.  At the very least  I would suggest that you speak to that officers superior, relay everything that transpired and ask why you are " being considered a criminal."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dungadin
New User

Reply #67 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 10:14pm
Thank you, everyone, for your advice.

I would like to get all of the information. However, based on the hostile attitude of the person I spoke with by telephone I am reluctant to go about doing that on my own.

I would like to ask a lawyer for assistance (not to file a lawsuit, but to get help in accessing my file and discovering where I stand).

Can anyone suggest such a lawyer? What area of legal specialty should I look for?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ronniewb66
New User

Reply #68 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 1:08am
John,

I had to take a 2nd poly and to date havent been told if I passed or failed it...yet before my 2nd poly, they started the BI....not sure why, as that makes no sense....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FBI-Reject
User

Reply #69 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 5:43am
I somehow missed this original posting.  I would be interested in knowing the name of your polygrapher.  I too am Mormon, and was told the exact same line about having high standards as you were.  I was also accused of reacting to the drug question.  The chance is small, but if it was the same examiner doing the same thing to two Mormon applicants, that might be the basis to show systematic bias.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

Reply #70 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 3:35am
FBI-Reject wrote on Nov 13th, 2006 at 5:43am:
I somehow missed this original posting.  I would be interested in knowing the name of your polygrapher.  I too am Mormon, and was told the exact same line about having high standards as you were.  I was also accused of reacting to the drug question.  The chance is small, but if it was the same examiner doing the same thing to two Mormon applicants, that might be the basis to show systematic bias.

Hello reject, sorry for the delay.

I really can't say that I was discriminated against by the organization because I didn't tell them that I was religious when I took the test.  I just told them that drug usage goes against my beliefs.  For all they know, I could have been one of Jehovah's Witnesses or Hasidic Jewish.  I only mentioned my denomination when I appealed.  

Of course, they failed me on the appeal.  What a waste of time and vacation day.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box koban4max
New User

Reply #71 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 1:51pm
Ya know what's funny? Poly people don't give a crap ab out your truth..they wanna know your nervousness...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Indiana73
User

Reply #72 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 4:06pm
polyfool wrote on Sep 26th, 2005 at 4:11pm:

However, what your polygrapher didn't tell you was that you were submitting to a scientifically invalid, unreliable testing procedure that if you failed would blacklist you from future federal law enforcement employment and would be released to any other federal agency to which you apply.

Waitaminnit....I was told that this would only prevent future FBI employment, that they do NOT share this result with other agencies!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gr8dad
New User

Reply #73 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 8:53am
Retcopper is so full of crap and in such denial!  Just another cop looking after the six of all the crooked, degenerate cops of the world.  It is too bad that you give good cops a bad rap.  A while back you said the polygraph is necessary.  Why is that?  So you have something else to lie about to someone in order to extract a "confession".  Cops like you are nothing more than bullies that think because you wear a badge that you are above everyone else.   You would rather use JUNK science such as the polygraph and lies than actually getting off your butt and doing some real police work.  People that are weak and have always been taught to respect and trust the police will break if they are being told that evidence exists against them.  They trust you and you abuse that trust.  On top of that you tell them they failed a polygraph which they also entrusted.  So, what do you do?  You talk to them like you are their friend as if you only want to help them out.  You tell them to trust you and that the system will go easy on them if they just come clean.  So, they feel helpless.  They feel like no one would believe them no matter what.  So, they make up a FALSE confession just to get out of that little room.  Try to say that doesnt happen everyday to hundreds of people all accross this nation that claims innocent until proven guilty.  That is a joke!  If you say it doesnt you are either having the worst case of denial or you are simply a bofaced LIAR!  I am tired of cops that will lie straight to your face to reach their agenda.  They need to remove the word integrity from their police cruisers as they have none! I know you are wondering so I will just answer your question.  Yes, this happened to me, but I was strong!  The snake that called himself a detective could not break me.  We have clearly showed my innocence and all is well! I am not a cop hater.  I know alot of really great officers that present themselves with great honor.  But, to me you represent yourself as nothing more than a lazy, sorry excuse for a police officer!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Horror Story

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X