Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Horror Story (Read 39811 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Re: Horror Story
Reply #45 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 11:35pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
polyfool wrote on Sep 17th, 2005 at 10:02pm:

Skeptic,

I think you make a good point here. Reminds me of my first experience with the polygraph. The examiner falsely accused me of lying about drug use and selling. After being confronted with a failed test result and then interrogated at length, I was mentally and emotionally exhausted. I felt defeated and had believed so strongly in the poly's accuracy prior to taking one. I remember thinking that if what the examiner is saying is true and I really failed, then no wonder he doesn't believe me --if I were him, I wouldn't believe me, either--not with a failed poly. My belief had been that if someone failed a poly, he or she is guilty of the accusations, period. I was so beat down that for a moment, making things up to please him seemed like it might be the best thing to do just to make it stop. Then, I thought, that's crazy--there's no way I'm going to sit here and make up things that I didn't do--I didn't care about the job, anymore. My examiner told me that if I told him the truth, he would hook me back up to the poly and we could finish the test so that I could pass. I believed the poly worked, so the examiner's promise to hook me back up, kept me from admitting to things that I didn't do. I believed that if I lied about something I didn't do, the machine would show that I was lying. My examiner was successful in convincing me that the purpose of the test was to determine if I measured up to the high moral standards of the FBI and if would lie about anything. I thought the test would reveal my true character and integrity. To me, the test wasn't about drugs (although, even though I knew nothing about the poly, I knew the spying questions were important.)  I thought the test was about honesty and integrity, which kept me from just giving up and giving in, but it was a struggle as the examiner intensely presssured me and tried to trick me many times into admitting to things I didn't do. By the way, I was not interviewed following the in-test. I was interrogated immediately afterwards.  Knowing what I know now, I can't help but feel foolish and wonder how I could have been so stupid and naive to believe that the polygraph could determine lies from truth.      

I have an example from my own life, but not from law enforcement.  I was maybe 7 or 8 years old, and my parents were absolutely convinced that I'd done something wrong.  They kept accusing me over and over, and eventually I "confessed" to having done what they insisted I had done.  When later proof came up that I hadn't done it (I don't recall exactly what it was; perhaps my brother admitted he had done it, or it was something missing that was then found...doesn't really matter now), my parents asked me why I'd confessed.  I simply told them that I'd 'admitted" to doing what they'd accused me of doing because they kept accusing me.

I remember feeling like denying whatever it was simply wasn't worth it; they were getting madder and madder, and wouldn't believe me.   

Now, I'm not saying that we all revert to 8 years old when we're interrogated.  But ANYONE can be worn down to the point of a false confession, especially when presented with information that either makes us doubt ourselves or convinces us that truthfully denying guilt is useless and counterproductive.

It takes a strong-willed, almost defiant personality type to keep insisting on innocence in the face of such pressure.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #46 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 11:50pm
Dear Skeptic,

Here is a twist to add:  I was also convinced that the polygraph had to have some validity for the FBI to be using it in the way they are in applicant processing.

I thought my examiner's "attacks" were part of a psychological test of spirit and will.  He knew what I was saying was truthful because the polygraph proved it but he was going to play with my mind to see if I would break under stressful interrogating.  

The only problem was the more I denied doing anything and not confessing to anything, the more infuriated he seemed to become.  In reality, he WAS accusing me of using countermeasures, I had not, and he was absolutely convinced I was.  He wanted a confession to get a gold star on the report.

What a twisted tale is woven in the polgraph examiner's room.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Algol
New User

Reply #47 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 12:18am
I think it is instinctive to confess to something we didn't do when repeatedly accused of it. I believe in evolutionary psychology and in the past giving in to an accusation was probably in a persons best interest. Since an accusation of something was generally an equivalent to a conviction, someone who gave in could express remorse and ask for leniency. Look at the Salem witch trials. People who confessed were treated much better than those who insisted that they were innocent. Give me a day in a room with your average meth addict and I bet I could get him to confess to any nearby unsolved murder through trickery and psychological intimidation.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

Reply #48 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 3:31am
polyfool wrote on Sep 17th, 2005 at 10:02pm:

I felt defeated and had believed so strongly in the poly's accuracy prior to taking one. I remember thinking that if what the examiner is saying is true and I really failed, then no wonder he doesn't believe me --if I were him, I wouldn't believe me, either--not with a failed poly. My belief had been that if someone failed a poly, he or she is guilty of the accusations, period.    

You spoke my words exactly how I feel!  Personally, this is the reason I'm going through a personal "great depression".  I used to be a firm believer in the polygraph.
After the event happened, I was so traumatized that I spoke to a few of my close friends about the situation.  One of my friends actually asked me if I've ever used drugs.  I was shocked that he would ask me that question.  Of course, it's because he believes in the polygraph - I wouldn't believe me either unless I went through the experience.  This is one of those experiences in life where one has to go through it in order to understand it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #49 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 4:26pm
Skeptic and Twoblock:

Of course I am talking about obtaining a "true" cnfession. Skeptic writes that  there are some cops who are satisfied to get a confession from an innocent person and I guess that could be true, although I have never seen any indication of it.

Twoblock

Example: A police interrogator separates two suspects for questioning.  Each one is told that the other gave a statement implicating them both. The interrogator is lying and is an example of what I was referring to.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #50 - Sep 20th, 2005 at 4:35am
Johnn wrote on Sep 19th, 2005 at 3:31am:

You spoke my words exactly how I feel!  Personally, this is the reason I'm going through a personal "great depression".  I used to be a firm believer in the polygraph.
After the event happened, I was so traumatized that I spoke to a few of my close friends about the situation.  One of my friends actually asked me if I've ever used drugs.  I was shocked that he would ask me that question.  Of course, it's because he believes in the polygraph - I wouldn't believe me either unless I went through the experience.  This is one of those experiences in life where one has to go through it in order to understand it.

Johnn:

I think you are right about this. My belief in the polygraph was so strong before I took one that if I hadn't experienced it for myself, I never would have believed that it doesn't work, either. I would probably think that the people behind this site had some sort of ulterior motive and the posters were just bitter liars who got caught. I think I had even more faith in it than the average person. A lot of the people I know who learned that my polygraph failure was for real (instead of additional testing of some sort) said , "Well, you know, those things are not admissible in court."  My belief in the poly was still so strong even after my failure that when I showed up for my appeal interview, I felt paranoid and nervous, thinking everyone at the FBI thought I was a liar. I didn't know about TLBTLD at that time and was still very much in the dark.  I think it is difficult for those who haven't gone through such an ordeal to fully understand what it's like and why the experience can be so hard to shake.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box kane
New User

Reply #51 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 8:16am
I have been a reader/lurker to this forum for quite some time.

I can testify to the fact that polygraphs are a joke, a waste of time and are basically a crutch used by law enforcement in place of good investigative work.

You know that already, otherwise you would have not posted the tripe that I am replying to.

I understand that you, being a cop, have to preach the party line.  That is, you preach the line only because you don't want to admit that many, not all, in your profession are just one step away from being on the other side of the thin blue line.

Polygraphs are crap, period.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dungadin
New User

Reply #52 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 8:41pm
Hello,

I have a question that I hope someone can answer. Before I ask, though, I'll give you a little background.

First, I was very happy to find this site and read about what you are doing to combat polygraph abuse. I didn't need to be told that the tests are unscientific and inaccurate - I already knew that from personal experience.

Six years ago I tried to become a police officer. Several police agencies considered me to be a top candidate after my oral, written, and physical tests. One gave me a conditional offer of employment for a non-officer position, pending successful completion of a background investigation and a polygraph exam.
I passed the background but did not pass the polygraph. They gave me a second chance. Again I did not pass.

Like many of the people who have written testimonies on this site, I was shocked. I did not lie, disclosed all my minor blemishes in the pre-questioning stage, and went in to the test full of confidence because I had nothing to hide. Why would anyone who had something to hide voluntarily apply for such a job and submit to that test?

Nonetheless, I was told that my results indicated that I was untruthful about something. They did not tell me what I supposedly lied about. I signed all my rights away before testing and now will probably never know.

Several of your testimonials describe how failed testers couldn't sleep and were generally shocked by the results. That happened to me too. I have never had such a severe emotion, good or bad, in my entire life while I drove home. I hope that was the low point for my life. RET suggests that Johnn should find a different line of work because of this apparent weakness. Take that as a compliment, Johnn. Those feelings make you human.

The bottom line is this. I was considered by the police to be a criminal. I have never been arrested. I have never been convicted. I have never committed a crime (sure, there have been small things like occasional marijuana smoking in my youth, but I disclosed all of that before the test). Still, they think I'm a criminal.

All I did was apply for a job! If they had just rejected me for a job that would be no problem. In fact, I'm glad I didn't get the job because I moved on to much better things in my career. But to be branded a criminal? Ridiculous. I confirmed this a couple of weeks ago. I called the police agency to ask if my records were still on file because I had heard that they may be destroyed after a few years. The police officer I spoke to was friendly until he asked for my name. I gave it, he punched it into the computer, he realized immediately who I was (even though I already told him), and then suddenly he barked at me like I was a convicted felon. He said, despite assurances I received six years ago, that he would disclose the results of my test to anyone who asked (if they are legally entitled to it) and that for all intents and purposes I am considered a criminal. HE ACTUALLY SAID THOSE WORDS. Remember, I only applied for a job.

Here is my question. Am I screwed for life? I have worked as an educator in private business for many years, have great credentials, a graduate degree, and am now considering working at a public university or getting a teaching license. Public universities and K-12 schools always do background investigations. Will they find out about this? Will they consider me unemployable or a criminal? I guess they will find out because every background questionairre asks if an applicant has failed a previous background investigation (and I will continue to tell truth).

Will my failed attempt to work for a police agency prevent me from every working at a school, for the government, for an airline (they require FAA background tests), for private businesses that do government contracts?

Am I branded as a criminal for life? Do you have any experience with this? I want to apply for a job with a university or school but am really afraid that they will come back and say that I'm a criminal because my name and record is in a government database.

A final comment for RET: obviously, we disagree on the validity of the polygraph. However, I am hoping that you, more than any other person, can shed some light on my question. You probably know best.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #53 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 8:53pm
dungadin,

To answer your questions, I think it would be necessary to ascertain 1) the police department's record retention policy and 2) the regulations governing disclosure of applicant information. Since there are no national standards (these are state and local matters) I don't think anyone here is going to be able to give you a definitive answer.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 9:25pm
dungadin wrote:
Quote:
Will they consider me unemployable or a criminal? I guess they will find out because every background questionairre asks if an applicant has failed a previous background investigation (and I will continue to tell truth).

You're right.  Continue to tell the truth.  You didn't fail a background, you failed a polygraph examination (big difference).  The results of a background check are verifiable, not so for the other.  Be honest when applying, according to your statement, you have indeed never failed a background investigation.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #55 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 4:43am
dungadin

Falsely labeling you a criminal is, in itself, a criminal act. Your police records showing that you are a criminal, is available to any background investigator and they will be happy to supply this info. I don't think many, if any, will hire you based on that record. In today's times anyway.

Here goes my broke record "SUE THE LYING BASTARDS" if you want to clear your name. I don't give a damn that anyone says, responding to your post, that you don't have a legal claim. Yours is an action that is begging to be filed in a court of law. 

Of coarse, if you are willing to go through life with falsy tarnished integrity, then roll over and play dead and permit me to be the first one to throw a shovel full of dirt on your face.

Don't look for sympathy from retcopper. According to him there are no bad cops. If they label you a criminal, then by damn there has to be something to it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Eastwood
Senior User

Reply #56 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 5:19am
Why is that as soon as I hear "mormon" I have to assume there is a lifestyle issue? ???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #57 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 2:58pm
Eastwood wrote on Sep 24th, 2005 at 5:19am:
Why is that as soon as I hear "mormon" I have to assume there is a lifestyle issue? ???

If that's not a rehtorical question, then I give up...  Why do you have to assume there is a lifestyle issue?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dungadin
New User

Reply #58 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 8:04pm
Thanks for the responses. It's good to know that there are people out there who understand.

Twoblock: I fear that you are right about my record being available to anyone. However, I don't think I'm in a position to sue because I have experienced no damages (other than being denied the police job) and I don't think that the police have broken any laws.

Since I have not submitted myself for any background investigation since that time, I can't really say that I have suffered any consequences. My worry is that I will suffer consequences if/when I apply for a job in the public sector in the future and am wondering what other people have experienced.

Those of you who have failed polys - have you been denied employment by other organizations (non-police) as a result? 

Brandon Hall: Thank you as well. I never thought of the distinction between polygraph and background investigation. You are right, they are separate issues. Something to think about.

G.W. Maschke: I learned from my phone call that the law is unclear. I got two different answers from two different people in the same office. I doubt that anyone can get a definitive answer when dealing with government these days. Maybe my best option is to ask a lawyer for advice, but that may open a can of worms. For example, my records may be destroyed after so many years. If I do an official inquiry, they may never be destroyed.

Sorry for the rambling. I have not been able to speak with anyone about this in six years. It's really nice to chat with people who share these concerns.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #59 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 11:11pm
dunagin

It is very plain, to me, that you have suffered character assassination. It is also plain that the PD has commited a crime for maintaining  a record falsely showing you are a criminal which was tatally thier unfounded call. Again it is plain, to me, that you are suffering mental anxiety. Otherwise, I don't think you would be on this site asking questions concerning your possible future employment.

If I was in your shoes, I would have someone pose as a background investigator and contact that PD. If your false criminal record is divulged, then that is the first step in your evidence gathering for your lawsuit. Ask a lawyer (out of that PD's jurisdiction) about this scenario. The reason I say this is because a lot of lawyers do not want to take on hometown PD's. Some hometown lawyers would actually notify the PD of your actions.

You sound like you are NOT up to the challenge, however. It's your call.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Horror Story

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X