Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Horror Story (Read 39752 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

Horror Story
Aug 30th, 2005 at 7:03pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Thank goodness I found this site - it's too bad I haven't found it before my polygraph exam.   

I took the poly 1 week ago with the FBI.  Beforehand, the polygrapher went through the standard questions on my security form, and I answered all of them truthfully.  When he got to the drug usage part, I again responded truthfully and told him that I grew up religious (Mormon), and that I have never used any drugs in my life - as this is contrary to my religious beliefs.  The polygrapher nicely then told me that it is very  rare the people who come in here like myself who have never taken any drugs.   
When I finished with the exam, the polygrapher left me waiting in the room for a good 1/2 hour, then he finally came back.  He told me that I was being deceitful in my polygraph about the drug usage!!  I was not only stunned, but offended as this goes very contrary to my religious beliefs.  For crying out loud, I don't even do alchohol!   He kept on drilling me if there is anything that I would like to add to my application and that if I ommitted something.  I told him no- and that I was being extremely truthful.  However, no matter how many times I told him that his accusations are horrendous to even listen to, he did not seem to budge.  Finally, he told me that he would just "include a copy of your statement along with the polygraph" but that at this moment "it don't look too good".
I am not only stunned and outraged, but I feel like I now need psychological counseling because  a government agency is accusing me of something that goes very against my beliefs and something that I have NEVER done.   When I got back home, I got very sickened to my stomach, cried, and even threw up.  I have yet to hear of any results, although based on the "it don't look to good" comment, I know that they are going to fail me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: Horror Story
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 9:30pm
Johnn, 
Wait until you actually hear that they have disqualified you before you give up.  The post-test interview you described may have been the examiner’s attempt to get you to “confess” to drug use.   

Just because the examiner said you showed a significant reaction on the questions about drug use doesn’t mean that you did.  A very common tactic is to claim you showed a reaction to see if you will confess, now that you have ostensibly been “caught” by the machine.  That's the whole reason behind the trick at the beginning of the test where you are directed to lie - so that you will believe the machine can "catch" you if you don't tell the truth.

Since you didn’t confess anything the examiner may report that you passed.  Try to be patient and don't give up.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 9:54pm
Johnn

If he fails you, it could possibly be because of your Morman religion. Some people carry a strong religious bias. If this is the case (which is hard to prove) you need to "sock it to'em".

When I was in college, I was not hired as a LEO because I wasn't the same religion as the Mayer. He hired a local that was of the same religion who, BTW, had been fired from the State Police for running moonshine just 6 months prior. This kind of crap happens more than people want to believe.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 3:31am
Johnn wrote on Aug 30th, 2005 at 7:03pm:
Thank goodness I found this site - it's too bad I haven't found it before my polygraph exam.   

I took the poly 1 week ago with the FBI.  Beforehand, the polygrapher went through the standard questions on my security form, and I answered all of them truthfully.  When he got to the drug usage part, I again responded truthfully and told him that I grew up religious (Mormon), and that I have never used any drugs in my life - as this is contrary to my religious beliefs.  The polygrapher nicely then told me that it is very  rare the people who come in here like myself who have never taken any drugs.   
When I finished with the exam, the polygrapher left me waiting in the room for a good 1/2 hour, then he finally came back.  He told me that I was being deceitful in my polygraph about the drug usage!!  I was not only stunned, but offended as this goes very contrary to my religious beliefs.  For crying out loud, I don't even do alchohol!   He kept on drilling me if there is anything that I would like to add to my application and that if I ommitted something.  I told him no- and that I was being extremely truthful.  However, no matter how many times I told him that his accusations are horrendous to even listen to, he did not seem to budge.  Finally, he told me that he would just "include a copy of your statement along with the polygraph" but that at this moment "it don't look too good".
I am not only stunned and outraged, but I feel like I now need psychological counseling because  a government agency is accusing me of something that goes very against my beliefs and something that I have NEVER done.   When I got back home, I got very sickened to my stomach, cried, and even threw up.  I have yet to hear of any results, although based on the "it don't look to good" comment, I know that they are going to fail me.

Johnn:

I am truly very sorry to hear about your experience with the FBI's polygraph process and that the agency continues to treat job applicants as if they were disposable. I am also sorry to say that from personal experience, if your examiner treated you in a very aggressive manner during your post test interrogation, it really doesn't look good for you, I'm afraid. A little fishing is one thing, but the drilling is indicative that your examiner will recommend that you fail your test and that headquarters  will most likley echo those same sentiments. You should prepare yourself to receive a letter in the mail from the agency in the next couple of weeks withdrawing your conditional job offer. You can appeal for a second test by writing to the person who sends you the "not within acceptable parameters" letter and asking for a retest. However, please do not be fooled like I was into thinking that the agency will let you pass and clear your name. Trust me, it has no intention of doing so. Knowing this upfront now will better help you deal with the situation. Don't give the FBI the satisfaction of leading you on, thereby prolonging the mental anguish the agency has caused you. Virtually no one passes an FBI retest--it's a total front to give the impression of a fair appeals process--don't fall for it and set yourself up for an emotional tug of war as you wait for your appeal interview and retest. That doesn't mean you shouldn't appeal your test--you should do so and write letters stating that you told the truth so that information can be included in your file.

I can honestly say I know exactly what it feels like to have your integrity called into question and berated by an FBI polygraph examiner after you've placed all your cards on the table, so to speak. It's absolutely devastating and very hard for others who have not experienced it to understand it's emotional impact. The best thing for you to do is to appeal the decision and move on with your job search as soon as possible. Ask yourself this--would you really want to work for an agency that treats job applicants the way you were treated last week? Just imagine how screwed up it is on the inside of an agency with such a jaded view of the world that it can't fathom that there are some people such as yourself who have never tried drugs.

I will say that as horrible as you feel now, it will get better over time. For a long time after my experience with the FBI application process, I believed the polygraph ruined everything. Now, I am convinced it saved me from working for one seriously screwed up government agency.

Good luck to you, Johnn and don't let the examiner get the best of you--he most definitely doesn't deserve it.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 4:34am
Twoblock wrote on Aug 30th, 2005 at 9:54pm:
Johnn

If he fails you, it could possibly be because of your Morman religion. Some people carry a strong religious bias. If this is the case (which is hard to prove) you need to "sock it to'em".

When I was in college, I was not hired as a LEO because I wasn't the same religion as the Mayer. He hired a local that was of the same religion who, BTW, had been fired from the State Police for running moonshine just 6 months prior. This kind of crap happens more than people want to believe.

Unfortunatetly, I didn't tell him what the denomination of my religion is - not that it would have been better for me.  But as far as they are concerned, I could be Catholic or Jewish.
In any case, I am very hurt and distraught.

I also asked directly if I failed, and he just rolled his eyes and said, "well it doesn't look too good, but I will put in your statement along with the polygraph results".

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 4:42am
polyfool wrote on Aug 31st, 2005 at 3:31am:

You can appeal for a second test by writing to the person who sends you the "not within acceptable parameters" letter and asking for a retest. However, please do not be fooled like I was into thinking that the agency will let you pass and clear your name.  

Polyfool, 
I thank you for your sentiments, but I will not request for a retest.     If I fail, they will definitely get an earful (via letter) from me.  If I pass, I am renouncing the position.  I no longer want to be a part of an organization which treats innocent people like garbage.

I just don't think it's worth it.  Imagine being a special agent for 2 or 3 years, then having to take a poly again and being accused of espionage?  It's just not worth the stress and emotional trauma.  Once is enough for me.

It's funny how the polygrapher asked me if I looked into any websites about the polygraph, and I answered truthfully - no.  Well, he then went on to say that it's because "those people are very bitter cause of course, they failed".  I felt like asking him, "Why are they so bitter?  People are not bitter for no reason".  Of course, I didn't want to get into that discussion - I wanted to finish the poly as soon as possible.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 5:21am
Amazing how similar some of these stories are.  I too would have thought this website was fill of whiners prior to my own experience (very much like Johns).

John -- take this advice from a total stranger -- and take it for what it's worth: Don't let this experience define your life -- but learn from it!  It will certainly change your outlook on many things.  You know you were truthful.  Your God knows you were truthful.  Count this as a blessing that you ended a disasterous career path before it even began.  I think the FBI is not what it used to be; or not what you were brainwashed as a child to think it is...

I'm afraid the FBI has taken what would have been a loyal, intelligent and hard-working agent into a now informed (some would say bitter) citizen.  Perhaps now if you're ever called on for jury service you'll be a healthy skeptic of any evidence presented by the state.

For the record: I know some good FBI agents; even they are disillusioned with the dysfunction in their own agency.

Call or email your Senator and protest the way you were treated.  No citizen deserves that crap.

Perhaps some of the other posters can tell us what the letters "FBI" really stand for Wink

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 7:53am
Jeffery wrote on Aug 31st, 2005 at 5:21am:
Amazing how similar some of these stories are.  I too would have thought this website was fill of whiners prior to my own experience (very much like Johns).

John -- take this advice from a total stranger -- and take it for what it's worth: Don't let this experience define your life -- but learn from it!  It will certainly change your outlook on many things.  You know you were truthful.  Your God knows you were truthful.  Count this as a blessing that you ended a disasterous career path before it even began.  I think the FBI is not what it used to be; or not what you were brainwashed as a child to think it is...

I'm afraid the FBI has taken what would have been a loyal, intelligent and hard-working agent into a now informed (some would say bitter) citizen.  Perhaps now if you're ever called on for jury service you'll be a healthy skeptic of any evidence presented by the state.

For the record: I know some good FBI agents; even they are disillusioned with the dysfunction in their own agency.

Call or email your Senator and protest the way you were treated.  No citizen deserves that crap.

Perhaps some of the other posters can tell us what the letters "FBI" really stand for Wink

Thanks again for your kind words.

The truth is that I am not depressed because I don't have the job - the reason why I feel this way is because a big government agency is accusing me of something that #1, I did not do, and #2, goes against my beliefs.  But the fools over at the polygraphers probably think that I got defensive because I want the job so badly - funny how distorted their thinking is.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 7:38pm
John:

If you are going to cry and throw up at mere words than maybe you should think about another profession.  What will you do when confronted with a dangerous situation where life and death issues are at stake?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 10:25pm
retcopper wrote on Aug 31st, 2005 at 7:38pm:
John:

If you are going to cry and throw up at mere words than maybe you should think about another profession.  What will you do when confronted with a dangerous situation where life and death issues are at stake?

Is the RET in your name short for retarded?

For somebody who grew up with fatith in the system, only to have that faith shattered by an asshole polygrapher -- from an organization that person respected -- is certainly a traumatic experience.  Kind of like finding out that not only does Santa Claus not exist, but he was also gay AND raped your mother.  News that would cause most people to become a bit upset (if they believed in Santa Clause).

Now, for a tough-ass street cop like yourself, probably no big deal.  You know polygraphs are bullshit, right?  So you'd go in there, lie to relevant questions (ever taken some money on the job?  Ever use excessive force?  Ever get a hooker while in the military overseas?) but because you are such a street-smart tough guy, you'd still pass.  Congratulations.  Take a bite out of crime.

But for good, hard-working people with no experience with "tough guys" who rely on deception to be confronted by such crap WITH NO SCIENTIFIC BASIS it can be a devastaging experience.  Even if the polygrapher was just bluffing, most people with integrity and intelligence will decline to associate with such organizations after learning how they operate.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 12:06am
THanks Jeff for responding to this fool.

John:

If you are going to cry and throw up at mere words than maybe you should think about another profession.  What will you do when confronted with a dangerous situation where life and death issues are at stake?

Ret:
This is not about "mere words".  We are talking about a government law enforcement agency accusing me of being a criminal drug user/dealer.  (At this point, I don't even remember what they accused me of - only that it has to do with illegal substances).   
Frankly, I'd rather be in a life and death situation than to be accused of something illegal that goes against my beliefs.  Not everyone thinks the same as you do, you know.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 12:20am
Polyfool,
How does one find out if they've failed or passed?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 1:56am
John:

If you are going to cry and throw up at mere words than maybe you should think about another profession.  What will you do when confronted with a dangerous situation where life and death issues are at stake?

retcopper:

Your statement shows your true ignorance as the situations to which you make this comparison are very different from one another and don't necessarily correlate. ALL POLYGRAPHERS DO NOT TREAT EXAMINEES THE SAME WAY. Some are extremely abusive. You have no idea what Johnn's experience was like, you  can only judge by what yours was like or what you think a polygraph is like. Besides, you don't know what position he was applying for , now do you? He could have been going for a janitor position, for all you know--pretty dangerous profession, huh? The FBI polygraphs ALL applicants, regardless of background, experience or the position for which they are applying. Also people are different--for example, their backgrounds or professional experiences mold annd shape who they are and the level of intensity to which he or she may be accustomed. Furthermore, it's not about an examinee not being tough enough to handle an examiner's brutality---it's about one's integrity getting trampled upon after being taken down to a level of complete honesty. That's something you probably couldn't  understand --it's most likely you've never been there.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 2:28am
Johnn wrote on Sep 1st, 2005 at 12:20am:
Polyfool,
How does one find out if they've failed or passed?

Johnn:

At this point, there is really no way to know. After your examiner completes his report, it and your charts have to be reviewed by the poly dept. and headquarters before a final decision is rendered. Since you just took it last week, it's very likely that a final decision hasn't been made yet. If the agency fails you, your application will become inactive in the system and you will be sent a letter stating that your conditional job offer is being rescinded because the results of your polygraph were "not within acceptable parameters." I especially love the part about "we know this decision will be disappointing to you, but trust that you understand the FBI's position in this matter." Based on my experience, it takes about three weeks to receive the letter. You could wait a few more days and phone your applicant coordinator. He/she should be able to access this information in a database and tell you if you were deemed DI (deception indicated) as well as the date your application became inactive, if that's the case.      

I understand your point about it not being about the job. It wasn't for me, either. Ironically, I had been so upfront and honest with the agency, but was forced to be less than truthful during my appeal interview when I had to  pretend that I was still interested in the job in order to get a retest. I had simply wanted to pass and clear my name, so that I would'nt be blacklisted from other employment requiring security clearances. That's the worst part--that the FBI uses a worthless, joke of a screening procedure that requires one to lie to pass to not only deny employment, but to tarnish the image of the person to which it extended the job offer. Unbelievable, isn't it?

I think you're right about the agency not being what it used to be. Someone I know recently left the FBI after a lengthy career and says the agency has really gone downhill in the past five years. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #14 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 2:30am
John:

I’m waiting to see you write "YHBT".

Thank you for contributing your worthless flame-bait to the ongoing discussion regarding the accuracy and validity of polygraphs.  If the above quote is any indication of your literary prowess I expect you will shortly be returning to the board at PolygraphPlace.com and posting well-thought-out snippets like, “Polygraphs are cool!”

It is a testament to the openness of this board that trolls like “retcopper” are not immediately banned.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Horror Story

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X