Normal Topic knee pain and the academy (Read 4266 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box maninflight
New User

knee pain and the academy
Aug 3rd, 2005 at 8:29am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello,
I am an applicant for a county police department and am concerned about the academy’s physical fitness requirements.  I passed the department’s initial physical fitness test; however, the last couple years I have noticed knee pain after I run.  This is especially the case after long distances, and was the case for about two weeks after the PT. Will I be expected to run each morning at the academy?  Would bad knees bar me from employment?  Thanks for your help. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: knee pain and the academy
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2005 at 8:38pm
maninflight wrote on Aug 3rd, 2005 at 8:29am:
Hello,
I am an applicant for a county police department and am concerned about the academy’s physical fitness requirements.  I passed the department’s initial physical fitness test; however, the last couple years I have noticed knee pain after I run.  This is especially the case after long distances, and was the case for about two weeks after the PT. Will I be expected to run each morning at the academy?  Would bad knees bar me from employment?  Thanks for your help. 

It depends on the academy.  In Connecticut we ran two mornings per week and had a PT test three or four times during the sixteen weeks I was there.

Regarding whether bad knees will bar you from employment you will only be able to get a definitive answer from the agency to which you are applying.  There are numerous factors to consider which your agency and your doctor need to cover with you.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hwsternfan
User

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 12:16am
Hopefully you can suck it up for 6 months.  You usually run at least a mile and a half a day 5 days a week duringthe academy.  Stock up on the Advil!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 1:46am
The running that you are expected to do really depends on the academy and agency.   

As far as pain management, advil does wonders.

I would also recommend a glucosamine/MSM supplement as well as knox gelatin to assist in rebuilding cartilage.

Also, ice and icy hot applications will also help.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 2:21am
Just be careful with medications containing ibuprofin (sp?).  If ingested prior to excercise, your heart rate could reach dangerous levels.

IP Logged

User

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 8:50am
Quote:
Just be careful with medications containing ibuprofin (sp?).  If ingested prior to excercise, your heart rate could reach dangerous levels.

Good advice...thanks!

IP Logged

User

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 12:59am
My doctor turned me on to BIOFREEZE...you can get it from your doctor....I've also seen it on Ebay...works wonders.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 9:58pm
maninflight

dimas has some good advice.

Years ago I had severe osteo auth. and lost 2" in hight. I was in so much pain it was hard to do my work, My doctor put me on osteo-bi-flex (a sundown supplement of glucosamine/condroiten?). After about eight months I was totally free of pain and four years later I have gained back 11/2". It sure does rebuild cartilage.

Now, at 75, I can climb mountains and work 10 to 12 hours a day at the mine.

IP Logged

knee pain and the academy

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X