Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Thoroughly confused now (Read 15948 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tasercop
New User

Re: Thoroughly confused now
Reply #15 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 10:11pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Most of what you are saying could also adversely affect other medical tests.  Moving, pressing a toe, squeezing the sphincter are also likely to affect most diagnostic imaging scans, making the results unusable, but not invalidating the instrument as an accurate medical device. If you have ever had an MRI or a CAT scan (I have), you have to remain perfectly still.  You have a bad argument here Smiley

Has anyone noticed that the only place these arguments are being made is here, anonymously on this site?  Information is circulating that there is a push by law enforcement in at least two other states that currently do not allow pre-employment polygraph screening, to amend the law to allow it.  It will probably happen.  

Were gaining ground, not losing it.  Sites like this actually help.  Most of the posts here actually have the opposite of your intended affect. They help support the belief the system works and bad apples are kept away from the badge.  Nothing you say here will convince a legislature to abandon polygraph testing; it only garners support.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 10:33pm
Tasercop wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone noticed that the only place these arguments are being made is here, anonymously on this site?

Ummm...are your eyes functional?  Please take note that many posters here use their legal names including: George Maschke, Gino Scalabrini, Dr. Drew Richardson, John Furedy, Bill Crider and myself.  You, yourself, post anonymously.  That surely does not speak of your ability to fight your fight with even terms.  You hide behind your nifty screen moniker and grace the readership with your point of view, much the same as those of us identifying ourselves provide our points of view.  Get in step if you want to gain any credibility.

Tasercop also wrote:
Quote:
Most of what you are saying could also adversely affect other medical tests

You would be well advised to realize that polygraphy is NOT a medical test.  The only portion of such testing that could be used medically is the physiological tracings.  My mother is currently in an ICU connected to many monitors, etc.  Her heart rate, blood pressure and respiration are being monitored.  So in that sense a polygraph instrument would be useful.

You also may not have noticed that you changed the argument from medical tests from sources intrinsic to the body to medical tests whose basis is extrinsic.  Apples to oranges.  Example to aid in your understanding: polygraphy is an extrinsic examination where urinalysis is intrinsic examination. 

Surely medical tests may be skewed due to patient movement.  But how do you propose that thoght and mathematical equations would effect such tests?  Also keep in mind that such medical tests are corroborated or invalidated by other tests to determine the same sought information.  Perhaps we should back up polygraph with CVSA.  But you may not like that idea because it could be detrimental to your livelihood, not to mention the fact that CVSA is completely impotent in determining truth from lie.  Sounds quite familiar to another method of deception detection     Shocked.

Perhaps polygraphy is gaining ground.  Please remember, however, that tyranny has gained ground in many instances.  Such tyranny enjoys a run before coming to an end.  After all, our national language is not German and there is no longer a wall down the middle of Germany.    Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #17 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 10:39pm
tasercop wrote on Jul 8th, 2005 at 10:11pm:
Nothing you say here will convince a legislature to abandon polygraph testing; it only garners support.  Thanks!

Put the legislators on the box.  That'll stop this bullshit junk science in a heartbeat.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 11:02pm
I changed to my real name to make a point. I am not ashamed of being falsely booted from the FBI pool. I appreciate tasercop's honesty about poly screening not being used properly and as a prop for booting people they dont like or just dont want to make the effort to find out about. 

I do think he is mistaken about his analogy. what makes the test internaly invalid is not that it can be disrupted by CMs, but that the procedure is not repeatable for each test. You cant use the same controls on each person, you cant assume a certain reaction means the same thing. If you take a DUI test, or a diabetes test, the numeric result is valid across all testers. A polygraph chart is not because person A got different controls than person B or the examiner has done or said something perhaps that influences the test, and so on. A cop cannot "influence" a breathalyzer. 0.1% is 0.1%. A diabetes blood sugar rating of 150 is what it is. but what the hell +4 means on a poly chart depends on a million uncontrollable factors.

I submit the real difference between honest opponents of the test and its advocates is that the latter believe that they can personallly guarantee its validity via their skill and experience and people like me do not for obvious reasons.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #19 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 1:13am
Quote:

I do think he is mistaken about his analogy. what makes the test internaly invalid is not that it can be disrupted by CMs, but that the procedure is not repeatable for each test. You cant use the same controls on each person, you cant assume a certain reaction means the same thing. If you take a DUI test, or a diabetes test, the numeric result is valid across all testers. A polygraph chart is not because person A got different controls than person B or the examiner has done or said something perhaps that influences the test, and so on. A cop cannot "influence" a breathalyzer. 0.1% is 0.1%. A diabetes blood sugar rating of 150 is what it is. but what the hell +4 means on a poly chart depends on a million uncontrollable factors.

Bill,

I'm not sure that there are a "million" uncontrollable factors, but I agree there are many.  The underlying problem will always be that polygraph examinations are psychophysiological tests (a merger of psychology and physiology).  Basically there are two personalities in a polygraph testing lab, with all the variables that come with that mix.

As polygraph examiners grow in their education and experience (much like counsellors, psychologists, and others who work in the "soft sciences") they usually acquire better skills and simply improve in the application of forensic psychophysiological methodologies.

You would cetainly agree that it is not unusual for two psychologists to arrive at two vastly different diagnosis.  Worse yet, the history of psychology is fraught with examples of "patients" using any number of behavioral "countermeasures" to fool the unsuspecting psychologist  into making a diagnosis somehow more beneficial to the patient.  Does that mean we should outlaw the practice of Psychology?

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Deputydog
New User

Reply #20 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 3:20am
Tasercop,
Glad to have you on the board. I like to see the fireworks!! As for the advise to Confused, I stand by it and it works and I think you know it.
Just so you know, I serve and protect too and have been a cop for 13 years. I've seen crooks come to pieces in the interrogation room a lot more often than on a poly. But, I'm not saying that it's not worth putting some of them on your voodo machine! Bamboo shoots work better for confessions though, but we can't do that...can we.
I've seen too many informed crooks pass the poly and way to many un-informed good guys fail it. 
I also have taken several polys and some before I was a cop and never failed one. However, I was told there were problems on a few questions on several tests. I always answered honestly to them and that's when I knew there was a problem with the poly and the examiners, not the subject!!  These were long time, seasoned examiners!   I've used cm's since then to guarrantee the outcome and NEVER have they been detected! Would I admitt to using them to an examiner?? Hell no and thats the only way YOU can DETECT them! A successfull interrogation is only as good as the admissions you get and you know that a good investigator will push the limits to get one. You and other examiners  have been challenged to prove that you can detect cms, but have not taken the challenge. I know you think you are soooo good at what you do and I hate to burst your bubble, but you have no better chance at that detection than if you took a wild guess.
On another note;
There may actually be a few cop-haters on the board but this is about more than that. Look at it this way, I haven't met a cop yet that liked taking a poly and they take more than any other group out there and thus, have had more problems with them. Nobody should  assume that there wouldn't be a lot of cops on a board like this. 
Anyway, thanks for your service and I mean that. I don't care what anyone says, there's not near enough cops out there.
Just dump that machine in the trash and get into a patrol car!!

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #21 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 5:03am
Deputydog wrote on Jul 9th, 2005 at 3:20am:
Just dump that machine in the trash and get into a patrol car!!

The polygraphers I've seen would have trouble fitting into a patrol car.

And I hope nobody mistakes my animosity towards polygraphics with a hatred of cops.  Couldn't be further from the truth.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #22 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 5:37am
Deputydog,

Well, I spent a lot of years on the street and undercover. Would still be there if the chopper would have stayed in the air. It went down while spotting dope in a national forest.  Got retrained in the  1990's as a polygraph examiner.  I understand your feelings about being a cop and having to take the polygraph tests, but I disagree and will keep on doing it.  I've seen the results.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 9:21am
Tasercop wrote:
Quote:
Well, I spent a lot of years on the street and undercover. Would still be there if the chopper would have stayed in the air. It went down while spotting dope in a national forest.  Got retrained in the  1990's as a polygraph examiner.  I understand your feelings about being a cop and having to take the polygraph tests, but I disagree and will keep on doing it.  I've seen the results.  

Well you took the easy way out to continue supporting your family and lifestyle...understandable.  However, if not for said accident would you be conducting examninations?  Doubtful.  

Not to be too nitpicky but...I understand tasers assist in subduing many a suspect.  However, I find your screen name to be interesting in that Taser research has been conducted largely by those advocating its use just the same as polygraphy.  Tasers have been the named culprit in the deaths of many suspects such as polygraphy has been the culprit in the death of many careers.  Similar belief in tools used that are largely unproven?  I think so.  I have seen death certificates listing taser as the primary cause of death.  Your credibility has never been in higher question.  Leave now before you relegate your farce of a profession to a more questionable state.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2005 at 9:47am by »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #24 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 1:46pm
Tasercop,

You write in part: 

Quote:

...Here’s another angle, sometimes the departments use the polygraph as a way to exclude an applicant they just don’t like.  Its wrong, but some do it and I believe, well I know, the FBI does it….

If this is true, this should be reported to the FBI’s Office of Professional Responsibility and DOJ’s Inspector General Office.  If it is not true or you have no first-hand knowledge of such it shouldn’t be offered here as mere insider bravado to bolster the rest of your bluster.  And speaking of the latter, you wrote:

Quote:

…And no, knowledge of how the polygraph works does not affect the results….

to which I replied:

Quote:

…Of course examinee knowledge of your procedure(s) affects the conduct of your exams.  Even your best Herculean efforts spent at convincing examinees that control material is really relevant becomes moot and laughable to the knowledgeable examinee or how about the examinee who inwardly smirks as he/she produces a response to your numbers test key eagerly awaiting your pronouncement that he is a real screamer and you won't have any trouble detecting his lies.  Come on...get real.... examinee knowledge is changing all the rules.  Again, examinee knowledge, whether it leads to countermeasure use or not, has made this a brave new world for you and your colleagues….

This will now be the third time that I have called upon you to explain your statement in light of the two examples I have given--ones which clearly show examinee knowledge has impact on typical procedures surrounding CQT examinations.  I know this is merely a message board where you can go mum if you like but pretend it is your new academic setting where such questions will not go unanswered and the truth will come forth.  Regards…
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2005 at 2:30pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #25 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 3:31pm
tasercop wrote on Jul 9th, 2005 at 5:37am:
Deputydog,

Well, I spent a lot of years on the street and undercover. Would still be there if the chopper would have stayed in the air. It went down while spotting dope in a national forest.  Got retrained in the  1990's as a polygraph examiner.  I understand your feelings about being a cop and having to take the polygraph tests, but I disagree and will keep on doing it.  I've seen the results.  

You have my sympathy and respect for somebody injured in the line of duty.  It's unfortunate that your department couldn't have trained you in a real science -- like DNA or something similar.

So how often do YOU have to take a polygraph exam?  Do YOU use CM's?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #26 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 4:09pm
Jeffery,

Whether Tasercop has the specific information he claims to have regarding inappropriate conduct on the part of FBI polygraphers remains to be seen (see my previous post), but he is quite correct in the sense that a polygraph exam can be manipulated at will by both by the examiner as well as the examinee.  Generally this is not done intentionally (by the examiner) as Tasercop has stated about FBI applicant exams but as a result of investigative or personal bias.  Rightly or wrongly (see CBS 60 Minutes special, mid 80's with Diane Sawyer to see how intentionally made false bias can wrongly affect a polygraph exam and produce results known not to be true) this sort of bias can have great impact on polygraph results.  Bias can actually help polygraph accuracy too.  In a criminal investigation a polygraph-requesting case agent will generally tell the polygrapher of his theory surrounding a case.  Because investigators are basing their theories on case facts they tend to be right more than they are wrong.  This more-likely-to-be-right-than-wrong bias is often reflected in polygraph results.  Occasionally we see investigative theory and hypothesis change only to be confirmed by a changing polygraph result.  Go figure...lol.  The lack of this kind of information in a screening exam leads to unaltered random error in this application that in turn results in the abysmal accuracy and outcome we see frequently see reported here. Now to your point...  Due to personal bias and some degree of self survival (i.e., one could not exist in an organization by wrongly accusing co-workers and bosses the way applicants are accused), two groups which rarely fail polygraph exams (unless there exists reason in advance to do so, i.e. being a suspect in a crime) are polygraph examiners and superiors and executives in the chain of command of polygraphers.  I don't think Tasercop ever need worry about using CMs in a routine screening exam.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #27 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 5:33pm
tasercop wrote on Jul 8th, 2005 at 10:11pm:
Most of what you are saying could also adversely affect other medical tests.  Moving, pressing a toe, squeezing the sphincter are also likely to affect most diagnostic imaging scans, making the results unusable, but not invalidating the instrument as an accurate medical device. If you have ever had an MRI or a CAT scan (I have), you have to remain perfectly still.  You have a bad argument here Smiley

Tasercop,
Certainly, if you are getting an MRI you need to hold still.  But that’s a rather disappointingly glib way of dismissing my point.  No valid test I am aware of is dependent upon what the examinee is thinking during the test.  If my doctor cautioned me prior to an MRI that I not only had to hold still, but I had better not do long division in my head or the test would have to be repeated, I would seriously doubt the validity of the MRI.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but if I was being given a polygraph and after each answer I stared at a spot on the wall and began reciting poetry (either out loud or in my head) you would stop the test and tell me not to do that, because you need to have me thinking about the answer I just gave in order to produce any sort of a response.  What the examinee is thinking about is an important part of the polygraph exam, and it is in no way under the control of the examiner.  The best the examiner can do (short of an admission from the examinee) is make a SWAG as to whether the examinee is following directions.  If the conclusions of the “test” are based on such a Scientific Wild Ass Guess it clearly calls into doubt the validity of the entire procedure.

Additionally, as Jeffery also stated, you have my respect as an officer who was injured in the line.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #28 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 6:16pm
Sergeant1107,

Perhaps you have not seen and would find interesting the following quote that appears on the left hand column of the home page of this site:

Quote:

"Polygraph is more art than science, and unless an admission is obtained, the final determination is frequently what we refer to as a scientific wild-ass guess (SWAG)"

retired
CIA polygrapher
John F. Sullivan

I will be away for a few days, but you and the others keep up the good job of keeping the louts as honest as can be...lol...cheers

IP Logged

New User

Reply #29 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 7:39pm
This board has been fun, but a full time job and graduate studies are taking its toll and I'm afraid I won't have much time from now on to come out and play with everyone.  Cry  So, I will try to answer as much as I can in what is probably my last post for a while. 

Drew, you know as well as I do that there is no way for a guilty person, or deceptive person, whatever you want to call them, to diminish responses to relevant questions.   In a screening R/I examination there are no comparison questions, so there is nothing to be manipulated.  Know all you want about the polygraph, you can't change your sympathetic responses to questions to which you are lying.  Since you can't change your deceptive responses, the only hope in a probably lie comparison question test is to manipulate the comparison questions.  Countermeasures are very detectable, so this is not really a problem.   

If what you are saying is true,  one would expect a change in the past 10 years in an increase in examinees passing the examination.  It hasn't happened.  I pulled the stats from my agency and in 1994, 92.2% of applicants making it to the polygraph, passed their examinations (not all were hired of course, due to other factors, such as admissions and other negatives in their background).  That is, 92.2% were found NDI (as it was called back then).  In 2004, 95.1% were found to have No Significant Responses.  I think you will agree that a 2.9% increase is statistically insignificant, especially when you consider the next set of stats.   

What has changed is the percentage of inconclusives.  In 1994, 4.6% of examinees were inconclusive.  In 2004 it was .25%.  This is due to the practice of not automatically disqualifying applicants due to an inconclusive or SR screening examination without collaborative information.  We now do follow-up examinations in these cases. 

What else do these stats show?  Most applicants pass the polygraph and that the current trend with researching the polygraph has little or no affect on the results.   

I could give you additional stats on countermeasures detected in 1994 compared to 2004, but you wouldn't believe them anyway, so I'm not going to waste my time.  Its the old saying, "Don't try to argue with a conspiracy theorist, it only proves you're part of the conspiracy" LOL. 

As far as the information about the FBI abuses, I can't post specifics here as it would violate applicant confidentiality, but I certainly believe it.  Two applicants have reported the same experience, from different examiners, at different periods of time in the same year.  The two did not know each other.  Yes, I filed a complaint and hope it will be investigated, not only by the feds, but also the APA (I don't hold out much hope with the APA). 

Brandon,

The easy way out!  I wish.  6 years of college so far.  3 exams a day, 5 days per week.  I do it because I know it works.  I have convicted the guilty, exonerated the innocent and kept the undesirable away from the badge.  And believe it or not, exonerating the innocent is what police examiners do most.  75% of examinees (this is not official, but what most examiners I talk to report) pass a criminal police polygraph.  If you listen to most on this board, you would think we are just out to screw people, but it couldn't be farther from the truth.  Private examiners report just the opposite.  75% of criminal examinations are DI.  Why?  Because defense attorneys tell their suspected guilty clients to take it from a private examiner.  If they fail, it is privileged information.  If we are the ones out to screw the innocent, why are ours 75% NDI?  Makes no sense. 

I don't know for sure if I had not been hurt if I would have become a polygrapher.  It was something I was always interested in, but I had so many other duties and responsibilities that I loved, that I probably wouldn't have put in for it. 

Jeffery,

I have taken 4 polygraph exams in my life (not including the practice ones during polygraph school) and passed all.  I just told the truth.  No, I have never used countermeasures.  Never needed to and know that doing so and getting caught would be the end of a career. 

Well its been fun, but I have work to do.  Maybe I will see some of you in my chair one of these days.   Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Thoroughly confused now

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X