Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Failed Using CMs (Read 17606 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Polyreject
New User

Failed Using CMs
May 5th, 2005 at 11:27pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently took a pre-employment poly test and failed. I had nothing to hide, but a friend of mine convinced me that telling the truth was not enough.  He said to protect myself I should learn to beat the test.  I can’t believe I actually believed what he said.  I read TLBTLD and even paid for Doug William’s lousy e-book.   

I practiced the techniques and tried the CMs during the test.  Sure enough, the polygrapher detected the CMs.  After the second round, he even came up to me and said that he thinks I am trying to manipulate the test results.  He asked that I stop.  I did not listen because after reading TLBTLD and What Doug had to say, I figured he was bluffing me.  Well turns out I was wrong.  If any of you are wondering there were no sensor pads on the chair I sat on, but somehow he knew. 

I failed the test, not because I lied, and not because I had something to hide.  My background is completely clean. I failed because I was dumb enough to actually believe that to pass I had to beat the test.  I guess this is what you call a lesson learned the hard way.   

If I were you, I would not use the CMs taught here or by Doug Williams.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Re: Failed Using CMs
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2005 at 12:02am
Did you admit to using countermeasures? Just about everyone is accused of trying to manipulate the test, even if one has never heard of countermeaures. If you gave in and admitted to using them, you sank your own ship. If you were failed without admitting countermeasures, the examiner was going to fail you anyway. How do you know that you didn't make a mistake in applying CMs? 

Perhaps,  you are a polygraph examiner posting false information to instill fear in applicants. You guys are good at that, or at least that's what you all like to think.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2005 at 2:06am
It is amazing how every time someone has something negative to say about CMs on this website he/she is automatically assumed to be a polygrapher.  You people are more paranoid that the polygraphers you accuse.  I am not a polygrapher polyfool.  I am another victim just like you.  The only difference between us is that I contributed to my failure by relying on bad information.   

I did not admit to CMs because after reading the TLBTLD and Doug Williams' manual I knew better than to admit to using CMs.   

When I first ran into this website and Williams' manual, I felt relieved that all was going to be well.  I felt that the information on TLBTLD and the info on Williams' manual were my savior.  Ironically, what I thought was my savior led to my failure.

I read both manuals very carefully, and practiced the CMs over and over again for about a month.  I even bought a damn tape recorder and recorded what I thought to be appropriate Relevant and Control questions and played it back for myself while perfecting the Countermeasures I used.  But, it did not matter because they still caught me.   

There was no more I could do to prepare for my exam, except to go buy a polygraph machine and see how my CM results would come out.  The information present on TLBTLD and the info on Williams' manual are inadequate.  Adhering to these CM techniques does not mean you will pass the test. 

Bottom line is this, I did everything the two manuals said, and I did not pass.   

I am sure everyone would agree that the purpose of this website is to inform the public about the lack of validity in polygraphy.  I do not disagree with the notion that polygraphy is imperfect, but I also believe that the information put forth in TLBTLD and the information put forth on Doug's manual is also imperfect and/or incomplete.   

For this reason I do not believe that anyone should rely on CM techniques advocated on this website or others, just as they should not believe in the validity of polygraphs.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2005 at 2:52am
PolyReject:

Okay. Maybe you're not a polygrapher. I apologize. Being accused of practicing that profession is a pretty harsh insult, I admit. I do have a question for you. Why were you concerned about the polygraph before you took it if you had nothing to hide? I took the test without researching it or even asking any of my LE friends about it and I'm a fairly curious person. I believed in the poly and thought it was straightforward--tell the truth about everything and pass.  I can tell you firsthand that that approach doesn't work either. It sounds like you really got yourself worked up over the test. I wonder what sort of impact that could have had on your test? If you were already fearful of failing before you underwent one. However, this I am sure-- polygraphs do not work. It seems you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. The answer seems to be just not to consent to one period.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2005 at 10:13am
Polyreject,

Sorry to hear of your experience.  Employing countermeasures is a very personal decision.  A decision that one must be completely comfortable with.  I'm am curious about your level of confidence prior to your "test."  Where you still unsure or very confident in your abilities to employ CMs?

I have never purchased Mr. Williams' manual and have no plans to do so.  It seems to me that his information could not differ from what is already available and free of charge.

Quote:
I practiced the techniques and tried the CMs during the test.  Sure enough, the polygrapher detected the CMs.  After the second round, he even came up to me and said that he thinks I am trying to manipulate the test results.  He asked that I stop.  I did not listen because after reading TLBTLD and What Doug had to say, I figured he was bluffing me.  Well turns out I was wrong.  If any of you are wondering there were no sensor pads on the chair I sat on, but somehow he knew

Without extra equipment (seat pads, motion sensors, etc.), I will venture to say that you were bluffed.  I say that, not to be argumentative, but because I don't believe unseen CMs are readily apparent by visual analysis alone.  There of course is the possibility that your reactions to controls were so strong that his/her suspicions were raised and thus...the bluff.

I am interested to know the details of your exam, if you are willing.  If so you can instant message me or email me at hall@antipolygraph.org.

Also, yes, some here are a bit leary of someone with statements such as yours.  Reason being that a few polygraphers have posted information similar to yours and used multiple screen names to agree with themselves.  The administrator is very good at detecting such deceptions.  Please do not be offended.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2005 at 11:24am
There are only three possibilities here either

1) You employed countermeasures incorrectly (meaning either to the wrong questions; mixing up control,relevant,and irrelevant. Plus you could have employed them to the wrong magnitude (too strong and too long)
2) You were bluffed into an admission
3) You are a polygrapher yourself

Fact is that countermeasures work regardless of what you claim,I have ran my own independent study and I know for 100% fact they work. Please do not make claims because you only THINK you recognized the control questions. What this tells me is that you probably didn't employ them to the correct questions. (Sorry but my gut feeling is that your a polygrapher)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NSAreject
Senior User

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2005 at 1:09pm
Polyreject,

I guess polygraphers assume people are just as
gullible, outside the interrogation room.  I classify
polygraphers, along with investment brokers and
T.V. evangalists...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box KSLawDog
New User

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2005 at 1:31am
Anxietyguy

It looks like he already said he made no admissions in the post test.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - May 7th, 2005 at 1:50am
I was talking about admitting to something that would DQ him not countermeasures,despite what he says I still believe he made some type of admission or employed the countermeasures to the wrong questions.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2005 at 1:55am
I think that in my original message I stated that I made no admissions to using CMs.  If Williams' worthless manual accomplishes on thing it is that it ensures that its readers do not make any admissions.   

Also, I damn well know the difference between relevant and control, in fact here are some of the questions I was asked on my test to the best of my memory:

Is you last name XX (Irrelevant)

Are you XX years old (Irrelevant)

Have you ever betrayed the confidence of a loved one (Control, Used CM)

Are you with in this departments drug guidelines (Relevant, no response)

Have you ever sold illegal drugs (Relevant, no response)

Have you ever lied to a supervisor (Control, Used CM)

Have you lied on your application (Relevant, no response)

Have you used illegal steroids (Relevant, no response)

After the test the polygrapher said “when I see results like this, I know that someone in trying to manipulate the results”

I am not a polygrapher, I did not make any admissions, and I did everything TLBTLD and Williams said, and I was caught.  Are there any other theories besides the one that polygrapher accuse everyone of CM use?  Because, if that is the case then I can’t imagine anyone ever passing, and people do pass.   

To answer your question polyfool, I had nothing to hide; I felt that I needed to learn to beat the test because this website and others convinced me that being truthful was not enough.  This is why I’m bitter now.  I probably would have passed the damn thing if I had never learned to beat it.   

IP Logged

New User

Reply #10 - May 7th, 2005 at 1:56am
By the way Anxietyguy, contrary to what you may think I made no admissions of any kind on any part of the test.  Believe it or not

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NSAreject
Senior User

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2005 at 2:12am
Polyreject,

You sound exactly like other polygraphers that have
been caught, on this site, using multiple aliases; your
statement, recommending not using advise on this site,
gives you away.  What is bothersome, is that 
newcomers, to this site, may end up taking your advise.
You simply can't believe that the regular users, of this
site, are going to listen to you.  You sound like you came
straight off polygraphplace.com.  Polygraphers cannot
detect CMs, if used correctly (dah); my polygrapher
clown at NSA asked me, if  Ihad used CMs.  He was, as
much as a joke, as his machine.  To them, lying comes
naturally, as with, used-car salesmen, T.V. evangalists,
and investment brokers...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2005 at 4:53am
Polyreject wrote on May 7th, 2005 at 1:55am:
I did not make any admissions, and I did everything TLBTLD and Williams said, and I was caught.  Are there any other theories besides the one that polygrapher accuse everyone of CM use?  Because, if that is the case then I can’t imagine anyone ever passing, and people do pass. 

polyreject,

You must realize that not all people who use cm's pass. Not all non-deceptive people who don't use cm's pass. I have a few questions that might help here:

1. You say you used "everything" in William's book and TLBTLD. Clearly, you meant that you considered everything. TLBTLD provides several types of cm's. Which one(s) did you use. In retrospect, how do you think your poly response to controls differed from normal fear of detection to a lie?

2. If you had chosen not to use cm's, but had read TLBTLD, then you would be what is called an "informed" examinee. Do you think you would have responded more on the controls or less on the controls than you would have if you were unaware of the true purpose of the control questions.

So how would you advise people who have read TLBTLD who don't intend to use cm's (as you wish you had done) when asked the control questions in pre-test? Should they lie [edited for clarity: only on controls], and then lie on the control, or should they tell the examiner that those are controls and they intent to be fully honest and not lie on them? What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2005 at 3:11am by Marty »  

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #13 - May 7th, 2005 at 5:56am
if its any comfort polyreject, i took 4 FBI polys, failed them all (well 1 inconcl) and never used countermeasures. I was aware of which questions were relevant. maybe if i had been naieve, i would have passed.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #14 - May 7th, 2005 at 9:54pm
The following is a response to questions asked by George on an email.  I posted it out here so everyone has a chance to read it.  And yes George was ok with this incase you were wondering (by the way, I don't think George thinks I'm a polygrapher so the rest of you can lighten up)

George asked what CM I used

The countermeasures I used were the anal sphincter countermeasure and the breathing countermeasure.  I did not use any tongue biting or any mental countermeasures.

George asked what breathing technique I used

The breathing methods I used were the ones referred to as the suppression and decrease of amplitude and the change in amplitude (both on page 148 of TLBTLD)

George asked what happened during the test

After the first chart the polygrapher seemed to be very pleased with my result, he said “all seems to be going well” but after the second round he came up to me and said “it appears that you are trying to manipulate the test, and I want you to stop.”  I thought he was bluffing.  So I kept on applying the CMs. 

George asked what the polygrapher said after the test:

After the test was over he said “when I see results like this I know someone is trying to beat the test” The polygrapher did not identify to which CM I used, he asked were you moving your feet?  Which I was not.  I don’t remember him saying anything about my breathing.  This was my first and hopefully last polygraph ever.   

George asked about the friend who referred me to read TLBTLD and Williams’ manual

My friend had failed a polygraph with the FBI, he claimed he was truthful.  He recommended me to this site and said to learn and apply the CMs.  He convinced me that being truthful was not enough.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Failed Using CMs

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X