Normal Topic FBI Special Agent Vision Requirements (Read 24315 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box joeytlc
New User

FBI Special Agent Vision Requirements
May 11th, 2005 at 10:48pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
The FBI Special Agent Vision Requirements are to:

have uncorrected vision not worse than 20/200 (Snellen) and corrected 20/20 in one eye and not worse than 20/40 in the other eye. 

But, I have 20/20 corrected vision and 20/400 uncorrected vision and I am scheduled to take the Phase I testing on the 23 May, is the vision requirement something to be highly concerned about, will I be automatically disqualified for having vision worse then the requirements?

Any help on this will be great.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box OfficerWannabe
New User

Re: FBI Special Agent Vision Requirements
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2005 at 11:13pm
If you really want to know, I suggest contacting your recruiter/ BI, whatever they are called.  I believe that 20/400 is considered leagally blind, so you may have an issue.  Find out before you invest your time in something that may end up being a futile pursuit. 

Cheers.

"There is truth and there is untruth"
George Orwell, novel 1984

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Krypton
New User

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 12:53am
I believe that I read somewhere on the FBI employment site that if your uncorrected vision is worse than 20/200 (but is correctable to 20/20) then you just need to have an eye doctor sign off that you have been able to successfully wear contact lenses for at least a year.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box exssg
New User

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2007 at 11:33pm
I used to work for the FBI in a support role and know alot about the SA application process having gone through it myself. I think you will have a problem with the vision requirement. Your uncorrected vision is high. The Bureau usually uses an outside medical office to do the physical exam. when you get to the eyetest you will probably look through a viewfinder on a machine. If you put your hands up to the viewfinder near your eyes and stretch the corners of your eyes outward with your fingers you will find the tension on your eyeballs will flatten your cornea and and this will  clear your vision enough to read the chart. Make sure you use eye drops before doing this as the combination of this with the technique I described will temporarily clear your vision enough to read the chart which might consist of letters of shaded circles. I know an applicant who had horrible eyesight, worse than 20/400 and used this or a similar method to pass the eye exam. This about 12 years ago. She is an FBI Special Agent today.... Good luck, don't forget the use of laser vision correction is also an option if you really want this job. I did it and got a great LE job from it. The Bureau may frown on this procedure, I don't know. But there is no way they can detect it.....  Good luck........exssg........

« Last Edit: May 16th, 2007 at 1:13pm by Administrator »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2007 at 2:59am
exssg,

Although I have never heard of the technique you described to temporarily improve your vision during an eye exam, it may work as you stated, however. I would caution anyone considering the use of the described technique, not to get caught. The medical facilities used to perform the pre-employment medical exams on all FBI candidates are instructed to report such conduct as you describe previously. 

If you were caught trying to enhance (cheat) on the eye exam... the bureau may be prone to suspect that the same person may be prone to cheat within other areas of the pre-employment process such as polygraph exam, etc.

My advice, do the best you can do on the eye exam without the use of artificial enhancing techniques.

triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nancy

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 3:53am
I am in a similar situation like yours.  Did you pass the vision test?  Thanks

IP Logged

FBI Special Agent Vision Requirements

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X