Normal Topic FBI disqualification for prior drug use, can you reapply? (Read 13974 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sak
New User

FBI disqualification for prior drug use, can you reapply?
May 14th, 2009 at 7:33pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was recently extended a conditional job offer for an Intelligence Analyst position with the FBI. After accepting the job offer I realized that I had used a drug other than THC one time in the past 10 years (8 years ago to be exact). 

Not wanting to lie on my polygraph as a failure debars you from employment with most agencies, I openly admitted to the usage during my security interview (pre-polygraph, pre-BI). I was told I was disqualified from employment (which I knew would happen) but that I could reapply when the 10 year period was up.

My question is, does anyone know if this is true? Will it be held against me, even though I freely admitted to the drug usage. Does anyone know how hard they look at youthful indescretions especially ones that are 10 years old?

Thank you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: FBI disqualification for prior drug use, can you reapply?
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2009 at 3:14am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Sak,

The application rules are quite clear.  You are screwed either way.  You either read the rules and lied on your application or you cannot remember when, where, and how many times you used illegal substances.

The FBI is receiving thousands upon thousands of applications for the IA positions.  My advice is to forget about employment with the FBI.  Your acts of youthful indiscretions were not the reason you were disqualified.  You were disqualified because you cannot accurately describe your past drug history.  You should have waited two more years to clear the 10 year history hurdle before applying.

I sincerely doubt that the FBI will consider any future application on your part due to your failure to know your past.

Please know that it is a distinct possibility that the background investigator will contact multiple people that you know back to your 16th birthday if you are less than 28 years old.  The IAs in the FBI will require a Top Secret SCI clearance and they are very particular about it.  If you have any skeletons in the closet, they want to know about it before the press might stumble upon it sometime in your future career with them.

There are many people who have not used drugs that will apply to the FBI.  They will get preference over you, plain and simple.

Regards.

IP Logged

FBI disqualification for prior drug use, can you reapply?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X