Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why fear the polygraph? (Read 19211 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Re: Why fear the polygraph?
Reply #30 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 10:04pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Sergeant1107 wrote on Jun 25th, 2005 at 5:48pm:
It’s interesting to me that whenever someone reports that they were 100% honest and “passed” their polygraph, the pro-polygraph community often professes belief in and endorses their story.

Please understand why polygraphers often do this. Sure it is disingenuous, but polygraphers don't say this because they enjoy lying or otherwise messing with you, but to increase the accuracy. They don't expect you to not lie as a result of this admonition. What they are looking for is an increased response differential between control Q's and relevants. An examinee who is NDI on a relevant is expected to react less to the relevant by an increased belief that the polygraph will correctly detect he is not lying. That same examinee is expected to fear the control question more, believing (falsely) he may be disqualified if found deceptive on the control.

The increased public knowledge of how the polygraph works may be more of a threat to whatever accuracy it has than the knowledge of specific countermeasure technique.

marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #31 - Jun 26th, 2005 at 3:00am
Marty wrote on Jun 25th, 2005 at 10:04pm:

The increased public knowledge of how the polygraph works may be more of a threat to whatever accuracy it has than the knowledge of specific countermeasure technique.

I don't disagree with this.  In what way would it hurt whatever accuracy the polygraph already has?  Increasing the number of Inconclusives and to a lesser extent, False Positives?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hwsternfan
User

Reply #32 - Jun 27th, 2005 at 9:13pm
Just never ADMIT to anything DURING the exam that you did not admit to in the pre screening or on your application.  If you don't ADMIT they can still fail you but on what basis?  Then they are opening themselves up to lawsuits.  The problem is MOST people ADMIT to things during the exam when they are accused of lying or being deceptive. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gelb disliker
Senior User

Reply #33 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 9:45am
Undecided  why in the first place would you allow yourself to be polygraphed anyway?   if its for a job, then there are other jobs that you can go to.  a polygraph is just some made up mumbo-jumbo to scare you into "telling the truth"  the truth afterall is really relative to what you see and what you fear.  its all on you, not what someone wants to sell you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PailR
New User

Reply #34 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 6:47pm
Why fear the poly?
Well... depends on how much is at stake when you are subject to taking one.
My experience over the past 10 years has been the following:
Lied -- Failed
Lied -- Passed
Truth -- Failed
Truth -- Passed

Very few of the twenty or so polys I have taken were in the first two categories. Most times I have told the truth. If I had not found one very hghly regarded polygrapher with whom I have no problem passing *sic*, then I would likely not be alive to write this post. Now you couldn't PAY me to see another polygrapher when I am forced to take one.

Even given that the polygraph is a load of hooey, who gives you the test makes a load of difference. The reason I say that is because there are some who are in it for the money. If they are aware that you  may have to re-take a poly as a result of "failing" one, then that type of polygrapher will find your results to be of the non-passing variety and will also have a policy of charging you for each time you take the test. With the rest...well, let's just say it is a crap-shoot. "Ya pays yer money an' ya takes yer chances." As long as you are not guilty of anything (or ADMIT to any guilt (and for God's sake don't ACT guilty unless you want to get HUNG!)), maybe you will come out okay. Acting as though you have a guilty conscience will get you a 'deception indicated' every time, no matter whether you tell the truth or not.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #35 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 7:03pm
PailR wrote on Jul 10th, 2005 at 6:47pm:
Why fear the poly?

Very few of the twenty or so polys I have taken were in the first two categories.

"Twenty or so polys..."  That sure is a lot of polygraph exams.    I mean, are you sure?!  How is it you have taken that many?  Isn't that like have twenty root canals?, or twenty open heart surgeries?  I mean, Damn! that is more tests than I have ever heard of anyone having to take, even registered sex offenders.

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 8:52am
Nonombre,

I would surmise that you don't work for a federal agency.  Correct?

Also, as a polygraph examiner you should have been subjected to more than 20 as part of your training.  Therefore it is not unheard of.

Please check yourself before referring to similarities between your profession and those of the medical profession.  They are NOT the same and should not be compared as such.  I regularly hear comparisons between the funeral industry and auto sales.  Again not the same.  The funeral industry would more fairly be compared against the hotel industry as service is what is provided.  Find a more suitable comparison.  You are not a doctor so do not portray yourself as such.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Why fear the polygraph?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X