Normal Topic Drug Dealing NY MTA Cop Aced Pre-Employment Poly (Read 12447 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Drug Dealing NY MTA Cop Aced Pre-Employment Poly
Jun 25th, 2005 at 9:46am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Police in Suffolk County, New York have arrested Donald Howell, a Metropolitan Transit Authority Police officer, on drug trafficking charges. Howell reportedly had been dealing drugs even before he was hired by the MTA Police, who require that applicants pass a polygraph "test" as a condition of employment.

Quote:

http://cbsnewyork.com/topstories/topstoriesny_story_174170632.html

MTA Cop In Big Trouble With The Law

* Will Face 15 Years To Life If Convicted

Jun 23, 2005 6:32 pm US/Eastern

An MTA cop finds himself on the wrong side of the law. But it's what he did before he even became an officer that's causing quite a controversy. Thirty-two-year-old Donald Howell was an officer for the MTA, guarding one of the city’s prime terrorist targets. Now, he is sitting behind bars on drug-related charges.

"He was involved in the drug business while on duty in the city," says Thomas Spota, Suffolk D.A. of Howell.

Suffolk County investigators confiscated bags of drugs, thousands of dollars in cash and several guns while executing search warrants at the homes of suspected cocaine ring members. Nine people were arrested, including officer Howell.

Police say they videotaped him selling two ounces of cocaine before suiting up for his other job. They had been investigating him for seven months.

“To think that somebody in a position of trust like a police officer is involved in this nefarious activity is really chilling," said Richard Dormer, Suffolk PD Commissioner.

Prosecutors say that Howell was a drug dealer who became a cop, not the other way around. The MTA says Howell had no criminal record, aced a lie detector test, and passed his drug-screening test.

Howell was hired in January 2004, which means that he was still a probationary member of the force. Because of this, he was fired today.

He is currently being held on $500,000 bail on charges that could send the former officer to jail for 15 years to life if he is convicted.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2005 at 1:44pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box railroaded
New User

Re: Drug Dealing NY MTA Cop Aced Pre-Employment Po
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 9:21pm
Wait...I'm confused.  I thought polygraphs were nearly 100% accurate and that countermeasures are ineffective.  What am I missing here?

Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mike_C.
User

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 6:42am
Hey.....maybe he logged onto AntiPolygraph.org and learned a few tips! (just kidding!)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 6:52pm
This is very sad news and extremely disturbing.   

Ultimately, one has to wonder if in fact he employed countermeasures while taking his polygraph or if this would in fact have been attributable to polygrapher error.   

The one thing I am very curious about is whether or not the actual background process for the MTA was cut back due to the implementation of the polygraph as part of their background process and if perhaps good old foot work would have discovered this officer's past activities.

It shocks me that many agencies who now have the polygraph have simply implemented the mailing out of questionairres as part of the background process in lieu of face to face and phone interviews.  The simple fact of the matter is that this scumbag should not have made it on to the MTA.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2005 at 9:03am
Quote:
The one thing I am very curious about is whether or not the actual background process for the MTA was cut back due to the implementation of the polygraph as part of their background process and if perhaps good old foot work would have discovered this officer's past activities.

The MTA Police Department is an odd animal, in that its officers receive certification in both New York and Connecticut. It is the Connecticut POST requirment (that all applicants must be polygraphed) that forces MTA to use it. 

Thus, I don't think that the polygraph use is related to a budget cut.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2005 at 9:33am by G Scalabr »  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2005 at 5:56pm
You are absolutely correct about the Connecticut POST requirement for the polygraph.  Unfortunately, there seems to be no movement in Connecticut toward doing away with the polygraph for pre-employment screening of police officers.

Other Connecticut police officers I speak with about polygraph testing seem to be fairly evenly divided in their opinions.  About half of them think polygraph testing is completely inaccurate and worthless, and the other half thinks it’s pretty good and better than nothing.  Not surprisingly, the cops I speak with who tell me they’ve done some research on polygraphs are the ones who believe that it’s worthless, while the ones who admit they don’t really know a lot about polygraphs are the ones who seem to think it’s pretty good. 

If that’s how the opinions are divided for patrol officers and detectives, I wouldn’t be surprised if the same holds true for chiefs and other administrators.  As long as things remain that way, polygraph use in pre-employment screening is certain to continue.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hwsternfan
User

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2005 at 7:31pm
Quote:
Ultimately, one has to wonder if in fact he employed countermeasures while taking his polygraph or if this would in fact have been attributable to polygrapher error. 

Actually its attributable to the fact that the lie detector doesn't detect shyte!

IP Logged

Drug Dealing NY MTA Cop Aced Pre-Employment Poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X