Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why fear the polygraph? (Read 19152 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box thevet2
Ex Member

Why fear the polygraph?
Mar 29th, 2005 at 3:04am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I keep seeing persons who have taken more than one polygraph test submitting information on how to beat the polygraph.  I have taken two polygraph examinations over the past 5 years and not had a problem.  I was truthful and confident in my answers to all questions.  I keep seeing things about counter measures and am not sure why I would need to use them as long as I am truthful.  Can you explain why they are necessary and if used what is the purpose if you are truthful.  The postings I keep seeing are persons who have not only taken one test, but multiple and not passed.  Not sure what is going on with that, sounds kinda like someone is not honest or there are lots of bad polygraph examiners out there.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Re: Why fear the polygraph?
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 4:29am
thevet2

Have you read "Breathing Reactions" under the Polygraph Policy. Read it then comment.

If you believe Wonder Woman's magic lasso is infallible, then I guess you would believe in the polygraph. Both were invented by the same man.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 4:32am
Sorry. My mistake. It is Polugraph Procedure

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyscam
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 5:53am
Quote:
  sounds kinda like someone is not honest or there are lots of bad polygraph examiners out there.

The possibility that some of the persons who post here are not honest is quite plausible.  I would also agree that there are numerous bad polygraph examiners out there (all of them in my opinion).  Not because the examiners are necessarily bad people but because they have placed belief in this skewed "science."

I am pleased that you have encountered little difficulty in "passing" previous polys to which you and your behaviors have been subject.  The purpose of countermeasures is to aid truthful examinees from being labeled and deemed dishonest.  A dream torn to shreds leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.  I speak from experience in this regard.  To have one's ambitions ripped away based on arbitrary and subjective testing is disheartening to say the least.  From my experience in the polygraph/interrogation seat I most certainly suggest employing countermeasures.  I am no angel, however I sleep well knowing that I was honest and this system of "weeding-out" has mislabeled me and countless others.  Every other method of testing I underwent had a standard (physical agility, written testing, background interview).  The polygraph was the one which held no standardized testing format.  It was at the discretion and interpretation of the polygraph artist and the polygraph artist alone.  That is why I choose to do all that I, as an individual, can do to accomplish an end to this mockery of science.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 5:22pm
thevet2,

If you took two polygraphs in the past five years, told the COMPLETE truth about EVERYTHING  and passed both times you should consider yourself lucky. You were probably given the benefit of the doubt. The tests are SUBJECTIVE. If you have so much confidence in the polygraph's accuracy, what are you doing researching it online? You should have nothing to worry about, right? That's what I thought, too. Until I told the COMPLETE truth about everything and failed. Sooner or later you may not be as lucky and find yourself on the other side of the fence, knowing full well what the people on this site are talking about. It would be wise to conduct more research on the  subject if additional polygraphs are in your future.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 1:46am
Quote:
Can you explain why they are necessary and if used what is the purpose if you are truthful.

The purpose is to prevent a false positive outcome (read: the test outcome is that one is lying when in fact one was truthful). This is necessary because polygraph "tests" have not been shown to have better than chance accuracy in peer-reviewed studies conducted under field conditions.

Quote:
I have taken two polygraph examinations over the past 5 years and not had a problem.

Your mistake here is extrapolating your own experience to everyone else. Tests of deception conducted with a coin flip would have roughly half of those "tested" concluding that the test is nothing to fear as well. Getting a heads result twice within five years is certainly within the realm of statistical probabilities as well.

Quote:
Not sure what is going on with that, sounds kinda like someone is not honest or there are lots of bad polygraph examiners out there.

In actuality, it is because that people are being evaluated with a non-scientific "test" that lacks any type of standardization that has not been shown to reliably determine truth from deception. 

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 4:29am
You assume that I lucked out?  How about I told the truth and passed.  This forum seems somewhat skewed and not sure that is total truth.  I do sympathize with those who have told the truth and then been accused of lying.  I would be angry if that happened to me I am sure.  To say that all polygraph examiners are liars and are out to get you would be false also.  The examiners I have delt with are good men and have good morals.  I do see them  on occassion one on one and find them to be good men.  Again, I am sure there are bad examiners and I have also encountered bad police officers.  I would be out of my mind to suppose that all police officers are crooks because of a minority and I believe we are talking about a minority of polygraph examiners that are "Bad Apples".

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 4:36am
polyfool wrote on Mar 29th, 2005 at 5:22pm:
thevet2,

If you took two polygraphs in the past five years, told the COMPLETE truth about EVERYTHING  and passed both times you should consider yourself lucky. You were probably given the benefit of the doubt. The tests are SUBJECTIVE. If you have so much confidence in the polygraph's accuracy, what are you doing researching it online? You should have nothing to worry about, right? That's what I thought, too. Until I told the COMPLETE truth about everything and failed. Sooner or later you may not be as lucky and find yourself on the other side of the fence, knowing full well what the people on this site are talking about. It would be wise to conduct more research on the  subject if additional polygraphs are in your future.    

I am not researching how to beat the polygraph, I was told about this sight by two candidates I refered to employment services in my department.  They told me about the sight and that they had used the counter measures and been confronted with their counter measures.  They now have to wait another two years to reapply and try again.  I am not researching how to beat the system, looking at why they were unable to pass and maybe get others to see that this does not always work.  I have not seen a post that tells of anyone that passed a polygraph using counter measures while telling lies.  I have not looked at all the posts on this site, so maybe there are persons that have used the counter measures and passed while telling lies.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 7:29am
Maybe you are a polygrapher?  Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 5:44pm
thevet2,

The diagnostic outcome of CQT polygraphy (in particular with polygraph screening applications) is  not about good or bad  examiners--it is about poor procedure.  From the point of view of diagnostic validity, the outcome is the same for either , i.e.,  poor procedure in the hand's of a good/competent examiner leads to the same result as a poorly designed  procedure in the hands of a bad polygrapher---neither is valid.  Make no mistake about it--that which is uniformly flawed is the procedure used, and no positive qualities or skills of the examiner can overcome this fatal defect.  Polygraph screening is mere quackery and does NOT work as a diagnostic test.  It should be pointed out though that (as has been mentioned by others) because that which is being addressed is a  binary event, i.e., someone is either being deceptive or truthful about some issue, a polygraph test or a flip of the  coin will result in  a correct answer with some frequency, not through sound diagnosis, but through the laws of random probability.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyscam
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 6:20pm
Quote:
I have not seen a post that tells of anyone that passed a polygraph using counter measures while telling lies.

I seem to recall a few posts in which the author claims employing countermeasures while being deceptive and being judged truthfull.  Unfortunately I am unable to direct you to those posts.  I have seen posts which claim countermeasures aided truthful examinees from the seemingly common false-positive associated with broad spectrum tests.

Quote:
I was told about this sight by two candidates I refered to employment services in my department.  They told me about the sight and that they had used the counter measures and been confronted with their counter measures.  They now have to wait another two years to reapply and try again.

It is unfortunate that you referred two liars to your own department.  By your statements, it appears that the two individuals  attempted countermeasures to cover lies.  If they did not meet minimum qualifications neither should have been referred or made application.  Why would you refer two such persons to your own department?  ???

from another of your posts:

Quote:
You assume that I lucked out?  How about I told the truth and passed.

Lucked out?  Yes.  We have matching statements in the last sentence with exception to the last word.  My statement would read, "How about I told the truth and failed.  This "testing" is flawed and unjust.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 2:40am
I have gotten the message.  You do not trust polygraph or the procedures.  I will not make any further statements because I do not have the knowledge base it appears you have.  If I have offended, I do apolagize.  I do feel that I was treated good and the results were correct, if that is a coin toss, then so be it.  It worked for me, not against me.  I again will state that the individuals testing me were good men and treated me with respect.  I cannot speak for others, only myself.  It is apparant that I am on the outside in this forum and therefore will not be back.  Good luck to all.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box alice
User

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 5:46am
well then I hope I get an examiner as good as you had.   I take a poly in a week for and my background day before.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box alice
User

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 5:46am
take a pd poly sry

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 10:14am
Quote:
I will not make any further statements because I do not have the knowledge base it appears you have.  If I have offended, I do apologize.

TheVet, there is no need to apologize. This is an open forum and we welcome everyone's opinion, regardless of view.

If you get a few free moments, I suggest taking a look at the free e-book The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, which is available for download here on this site. It explains the polygraph process in full (and the trickery behind it).

I'm curious to hear your opinion of the process after learning the background behind it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Why fear the polygraph?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X