Normal Topic Breathing rate (Read 6624 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box calitoaz
New User

Breathing rate
Mar 13th, 2005 at 7:59am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently took a polygraph test for a police agency in AZ.  Immediately after the test the examiner spoke to me about my breathing pattern.  The examiner accused me of attempting to control or slow my breathing in an attempt to "defeat" the test.  Is breathing slower than the "national" average cause for failing the polygraph test?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Breathing rate
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 9:21pm
Polygraphers expect examinees to breathe at a rate of 15-30 breaths (in and out) per minute. If an examinee breathes more slowly than that, it is assumed that he/she is consciously controlling his/her breathing in an attempt to influence the outcome, and the examinee may be failed along with an accusation of attempted countermeasures.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 8:40am
Thanks for the info.  Is it uncommon to find that someone breathes slower than the average person?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jonny5
New User

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 11:33pm
I just got done with Emergency Medical Technician training and the average person breathes 12-20 times per minute, how can they expect you to breathe 15-30 times, if that is not what the body wants to do?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 6:44am

Hello jonny5,

Where can I find that information?  That’s very interesting.  When I took my poly with Phoenix PD the examiner told me my breathing was way to slow (around 10 breaths per minute).  And without coming out and calling me a liar, he called me a liar.

I can say without hesitation that I was completely honest with the examiner.  Do these so called “experts” take into account persons physical condition, which could explain why a persons breathing rate might be slower than the national average?  Also as in my case I am a 14-year veteran Police Officer.  I have had the unfortunate pleasure of learning how to deal with stressful situations from working in a gang infested violent community.  I also have several years of tactical and officer survival training, which teaches officers how to deal with stress by learning how to relax and control your bodily functions.  Does this mean I’m a Liar and a cheat?   

Until I took my "lie detector" test with PPD, I firmly believed in the machine and the person(s) behind them, now I am not sure. Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyscam
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 7:41am
Calitoaz,

Sorry to know of your experience with the PPD.  Just know that you are not the only one.  I've a friend that failed two of these "tests" with the PPD.  According to an examiner by the name of Ogilvie more than 50% of those tested by PPD fail.  A sad stat but one obliged and confirmed by the state of AZ.  Until AZ law changes, numerous candidates, and very qualified by the sound of your post, will unfortunately continue to be denied employment and rejected based on this artisitic "science."

I have an application in with PPD but have not pursued it after my horrible experience with the Glendale Police Department.  At this time my physical conditioning is not up to par.

You mentioned having firmly believed in this type of processing.  But you have learned the ugly reality.  Until the majority knows the TRUTH of this examination it will not go away.  Through my desire to serve my AZ community as a police officer I learned the ugly "truth."   Please do not lose faith.  I would welcome an experienced and qualified officer to serve my community.

I plan next to apply with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department.  They will most likely accept applications in June or July.  See you there?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 4:50am
Hello Polyscam Smiley

I too have applied with GPD, but as of today, I’m not impressed.  I think I’m going to look elsewhere.  From my experience with them so far, they (or maybe I should say some) are not very professional.  I have tried to communicate with my background investigator on numerous occasions only to get the run around.  I know my background is good, so what the H..... anyway.

I'm going to look into the S.O., although I haven't heard much about the department.  Maybe I'll see at the test this summer, GOOD LUCK!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2005 at 9:12am
Calitoaz, 

check out this website, it's a PDF of a EMT cirriculum, it has information about respirations.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~janl/dart.course/lectures/respiration.physiology.pdf#s...'EMT%20average%20adult%20respirations'

Jonny5

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2005 at 9:13am
it's funny to notice that polygrapher's give adults the respiration rate of a child, which is 15 to 30.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box thevet2
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2005 at 1:47am
It is difficult to understand why any police department or officer would try to get you not to be on their department.  Why do they do these things to keep persons off or out of police work?  If you are a good person seems like they would want to  hire you not kick you around and treat you bad.

IP Logged

Breathing rate

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X