Normal Topic Embarassing Question (Read 3732 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box unknown_user
New User

Embarassing Question
Feb 27th, 2005 at 5:26am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Ok heres my story. For my entire life I have a love for law enforcement, have worked with agencies, been an explorer, beena  npart time officer and just love the job, love everything about it! I have 1 and only 1 incident in my past that is ugly per se. 

I have NO prior drug use, no serious convictions (traffic citations for speed the most serious) but have 1 incident that happened when i was 16 or 17 that may be a problem. Now the embarasing part...

I have a cousin who I rarely saw much of growing up, we talked alot and would talk when we saw each other in public (malls etc). She is 3 years younger than I am. When i was 16 or 17 cant remember the exact year, we started ot hang out with alot of the same people, the age gap between us they were most of our friends, and we began seeing alot of each other. We would flirt, and make sexual gestures all the time, and one night she and I were out driving around, and something happened. Was consensual, and we were talking about it, she ended up taking her clothes off and I touched her 1 time. Then immediately stopped and told her this was wrong and we cant do anything. 

This is the only thing in my past that I regret and the only thing I have ever done that i feel bad about, other than that I have lived my life for everyone else and tried to become a good person. Im a college grad with 2 degrees, work a full-time and part-time job, and have no other blemishes on my history. I know this wasa very poor moral judgement, but I see it as a learning mistake.

I never saw this as a big deal, and she even told me it was just something stupid we did and wasnt a big deal. I guess now that its time to fill out apps and Ive seen poly booklets, I feel as if the entire situation was my fault because I was the older person. 

How do you think this will affect my chances of a career in LE? Sigh, I know your all probably laughing your asses off and thinking this is disturbing but this is a real problem with me, and the single childish act in my life that may have ruined what i love most.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: Embarassing Question
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 2:20am
Ok, this situation depends entirely on the laws of the state in which you are applying.  In some states this may have well been illegal, however in others you may have been of the age in which it wasn't.

Considering your age at the time of the incident 16 usually makes a big difference from 17 when dealing with the laws in this matter.   

My advice is look inot the legality of it and ultimately be honest and up front about it.  Hiding it and then confessing only makes is look real bad.  I know many departments ask about having had sex with an underage person, however if at the time you too were underage it usually isn't a problem.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 8:20am
thanks for the reply, hard question to ask anyone really with the exception of the message board. was a stupid incident, a one time thing, and both of us wer eunderage and within 3 yrs of each other, the whole related part is technically illegal as it is in most places, but i dont know that it would be a problem...

this is seriously the ONLY flaw in my background, lived my entire life to be a cop, fighted temptations of pot, and the ocassional stupid kid antic to become a cop, now im scared to death this stupid situation I consider to be "exploration" is gonna hinder me

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 7:57am
I appreciate the response by Dimas, does anyone else have suggestions on this thread? I re-iterate that it was a juvenile act, and more explorative than anything else. I always thought "kids will be kids, and do stupid things" and "learn from your mistakes" but Im beginning to think PD's are gonna boot me for this. 

Will the illegal nature of this act permanantly DQ me from being hired with an agency? It was a consensual and at the time I was naieve to the morality of it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2005 at 7:13am
Dear Unknown user,

All you have to do is read the many newspaper articles concerning the Pennsylvania State Troopers regarding over two million dollars in payment (and increasing) regarding inproper sexual conduct while on duty.

Many departments are paranoid over this issue and no state, city, or municipality wants to have this subject raised in the future if such past "indescretions" come to light during any news investigation regarding their officers.

It is not fair, it is not right, but the public expects their law enforcement people to be squeaky clean.  The public expects their officers to be "angels" even if they have to operate in the depths of hell.

Regards.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2005 at 2:44pm
not quite sure i understand your post other than the reasoning for such questions. Do you think this is an automatic DQ?

IP Logged

Embarassing Question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X