Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam (Read 1095564 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Re: MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam
Reply #90 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 2:08am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
MMPI doesn't destinguish between gay or straight, doesn't destinguish between this and that, doesn't tell you this or that. All posted on this thread. What the hell good is it? It's described with $100 words but with nickel meanings. It's not a pass or fail but a instrument, just like the polyhraph, where the operator holds a person's livelyhood in his unqualified opinion. Put all psychocologist together and you might have enough intelligence to score 45 on an IQ test. Also, just like the polygraph, MMPI is an instrument by which a lot of people make money. Also, just like the polygraph, it doens't have the usefulness of a Sears catalog or a corn cobb in an outhouse. All four will burn your ass.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box psych1
Senior User

Reply #91 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 2:48am
This demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of psychometric assessment.  Assessment instruments do not diagnose, nor were they meant to.  The MMPI-2 was designed as an objective (not projective like Rorschach's ink blots) measure to assist the clinician in the psychodiagnsotic process. If you are confused about the rationale behind the empirical development of the MMPI-2, I would suggest reading my post on page 5 regarding how the items assess psychological constructs utilizing an "empirical keying" approach. 

This is an interesting take.  If you would be so kind to cite some research to back up your opinion about the MMPI?  Additionally, if 6 years of intensive doctoral training do NOT make a qualified psychologist (in your opinion), perhaps you would like to propose an alternative training model so our opinions can become "qualified"?

« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2008 at 3:48am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #92 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 3:53am
The empirical data on which you base your conclusions is biased by the limited scope of subjects whos responses form your baseline. Example: conclusions as simplistic as the following statement;
"Every murderer that I have questioned drinks milk."
"You drink milk."
"Therefore you are a murderer".

For MMPI results to be truely meaningful, everyone would have to be tested and the data tabulated taking into consideration almost countless variables.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #93 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 4:04am
Twoblock wrote on Sep 6th, 2008 at 3:53am:
The empirical data on which you base your In conclusions is biased by the limited scope of subjects whos responses form your baseline. Example: conclusions as simplistic as the following statement;
"Every murderer that I have questioned drinks milk."
"You drink milk."
"Therefore you are a murderer".

For MMPI results to be truely meaningful, everyone would have to be tested and the data tabulated taking into consideration almost countless variables.

I am not sure I follow? Do you mean you think the normative control group used as the baseline is biased or somehow not representative of the normal population? You realize the data was derived via statistical comparison between criterion groups (those known to have the disorder of a particular subscale) AND a "normative" control group (normal individuals to used as a baseline for statistical comparison), right? The data is not restricted to just a clinical sample. If it was, how would we know what the deviant (scored) response should be? We have to know that a normal population would consistently endorse the item differently in order to establish what the normal response would be. If the norm group didn't endorse the item different than the criterion group at a high rate, then the item is worthless. The developers threw these items out. The ones that make up the test are the ones that show statistically significant differences between norm group and criterion group. It allows us to see the true differences between the groups (normal vs psychiatric). It's NOT an absolute conclusion (as you stated), it is a "degree of probability" (the degree of probability depends on how many standard deviations the T score is elevated above the norm), because the test is using items that have extemely high statistical differentiation properties.  Your "milk" example would be an example of an item that would have been tossed out during the test's development because its ability to differentiate is highly flawed. If we take a sample of milk drinkers and run this same statistical procedure that MMPI-2 used for its development, we would see the true statistical trend. (i.e., there is no true correlation between the 2 when we do an empirical test of this hypothesis). We find out that most milk drinkers are not murders, and thus we realize your item example is a statistically weak discriminator. Items with weak statistical properties like this did not make it into the test. This prevents the occurrence of this logic leap error you are referring to. We don't use items like that. Only ones with high statistical reliability for true group differentiation. However, more importantly, you are not taking into account the real issue of the  statistical logic at work here. Its the aggregate sum of many endorsements consistent with the criterion group that raises the red flags.  Not just one endorsement, as in your example. We do not make snap judgments based on one item, or even several items.  That's why the test has so many items, 567 to be exact. You've heard the old saying "One swallow doesn't make a summer", right? Well, we have too.   

Your second paragraph demonstrates a poor understanding of multivariate statistics, and again, misconstrues the purpose of psychometric assessment. The reason we have statistics is because what you proposed is obviously impossible. Statistics are powerful estimators of group trends.  Multiple Regression, linear regression, and structural equation modeling procedures are well validated, scientifically accepted procedures for quantification of the frequency of a event or trait in a large data sample. If you have a problem with these procedures and methods, then you should have a problem with ALL of science and modern day medicine! Guess how risk factors for disease are calculated? They certianly don't survey everyone, right? Keep in mind the MMPI-2 is based on statistical base rates and likelihood of item endorsement consistent with a criterion group over a certain threshold. The threshold is set very very high (i.e., 4, or 5 endorsements consistent with the criterion group is statistically meaningless. It takes 15, sometimes 20 endorsements consistent with a criterion group to raise the T score above "normal"). When you have an subscale elevated above the designated T score, the statistics of the test tell us that this elevation being the result of chance alone (i.e., error) are very very small. This tells us that you are indeed endorsing items consistent with those with the disorder at a very very high rate with a very very small  likelihood that this could have happened by chance alone. In other words, you end up "looking like" (on paper) this clinical population. But again, this does NOT equate to diagnosis, nor does this automatically mean you would necessarily meet the clincial threshold for the disorder. You simply have alot of similarities with this particular population, since you have endorsed so many of the same opinions they did. You have alot of traits of that disorder. The clinician delineates whether there is clinically significant meaning behind these elevations after taking into account all the data from the clincial interview and any other tests that have been given. As you can see, the MMPI-2 is a powerful statistical tool, nothing more. It is just one piece of clinical information, but, one that is completely empirical, statistically objective, and highly reliable. It does NOT diagnose, but that in no way means the data derived is "meaningless." Statistically, they are very meaningful. Official diagnoses should indeed be made cautiously, taking into account the many many factors and the numerous environmental and situational variables (as you pointed out) that the clinician obtains during the clincial assessment process.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2008 at 9:12am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #94 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 7:53am
You are correct. I do have a problem with modern medicine and medical research. There is a cure out there for many types of cancer.

I have four scars on my face where basil cell carcenomas were removed by doctors. Sense then, I have removed three carcenomas and just finished removing a dime size melanoma on the surface that had spread throughout my right temple underneath. I have had 100% success on me and three other people which I told about and showed how to remove skin cancers with this product. Nine cancers total. Not a failure. I have a long time friend that cured lung cancer with this product. He had already lost one lung and later got it in the other. That one he cured himself with this product years ago. He is still alive at 86. I know two other people that cured internal cancer with this product and read numerous accounts of other cures. Most had been sent home (by doctors) to die. The idiots at the 
FDA know about this product and are closing down the labs that advertise it cures cancer. They say there is no cure for cancer. That's an idiotic statement. What about the small percentage of cancers the medical profession cures? The real reason for the closures is MONETARY. If this product was widely known, the researchers, doctors and pharmaceutical industries would lose billions. The research grants (a lot of our tax money) would dry up and the pharmaceutical industry couldn't hawk it for 1000% profit because it is already out there.

I won't call the name of the product because this is not a website on which to advertise. Not because I'm afraid of the FDA. 

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #95 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 8:41am
I am sorry to hear of your plight. However, you have meandered way out of my area of expertise and beyond the scope of this thread.  I can not knowledgeably discuss wild notions of amateur oncology research/cures, or the problems associated with the FDA and big pharm. I have simply tried to correct misconceptions regarding the theory, development, validity, and use of the MMPI-2.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2008 at 9:39am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #96 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 2:06pm
You made the statement that I must have a problem with modern day science and medicine. I simply agreed with you and told you why.

What plight. It's a campaign against a corrupt government that's in concert with corrupt corporations.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tracey

Reply #97 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 3:07pm
please help me i have to take a mmpi test 
give me some pointers or a sample test???? 

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #98 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 8:23pm
Pointers for what exactly? Just be honest.  The MMPI-2 is copyrighted by both the University of Minnesota Press and Pearson Assessment Resources, and is not in the public domain.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FreeW

Reply #99 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 8:01pm
Hello. Could u send me a copy of MMPI questions, I'm going to take a test on next month for my job. Thank you very much
my email is vofusi@gmail.com

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ron

Reply #100 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:00pm
i have the test now, but no time to copyu it, i am taking it for a pain pump for my spine? dont know why but failed first time because i answered questions like they were about pain! not personality so i failed, just remember its about personality! i think the test is a joke, even some questions that start like ......once a week or oftener..... i think it is a 5th grader at best that wrote it. the 2 doctors that came up with test are a BIG JOKE.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #101 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 9:28pm
One of my old supervisors was trained by Starke Hathaway at Minnesota. He was highly regarded, and my supervisor always found him to be an extemely gifted clinician and an outstanding empirically minded researcher.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2008 at 12:38am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #102 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 3:05am
tracy

You didn't say why you were taking the test. Is it for employment. If it's for employment, my question is why would you and FreeW want to work for an entity that requires MMPI or polygraph. They are both extremely misleading and are used by employers who lacks the intelligence to ask the right questions or understand the answers in an interview.

In my nearly 40 years in a management position, I have hired many, many people and didn't use either. In that time I did hire a couple of duds but, for the most part, I did pretty good without MMPI or polygraph.

psych 1

The MMPI copyright is useless as tits on a boar hog unless someone is using it for monetary gain and are not paying the required royality to the U. of Minnesota and Pearson who, I am sure, got big grant money to develop the test.  I suspect some, maybe all, was our tax money.

A case in point: I designed and built a machine for my mining operation. Nothing like it in the business. Then a person snuck in to my operation, made a print and built one exactly like for his mining operation and there was nothing that I could do about it except stomp his ass into the muck and destroy his machine. If he ever sells the design, then I got him (legally) by the ying yang.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #103 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 4:27am
The costs of norming and restandardization of the MMPI-2 in 1989 were provided up front by Pearson. No grant money. Costs are made up by selling the test to qualified practitioners at an, admittedly, exorbitant price. That why the thing costs so darn much for psychologists.  So, when one bootlegs a copy and possibly spreads it around, they have indeed cheated Pearson.  It cost them alot to collect the norming data, so naturally they want people to buy it, so costs can be made up. 

The paradigms used for a polygrah are totally different than the the MMPI-2. They really have nothing in common.  The MMPI's main goal is the assessment of psychopathology. However, it does have the added benefit (due to its statistical properties and empirical keying construction) to detect unusual responding that suggests, the purposeful attempt to distort results. What evidence do you have that the MMPI, if used by a properly trained psychologist, is "misleading"? Or is that just "personal opinion"?
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2008 at 7:41am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tracey

Reply #104 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 8:20pm
HI
I took this test now a doctor wants to ttalk to me about it ..i must did poorly on it or something. 

I had to go through evaluations for custody for a child to be around my boyfriends child. 

Is there anyway to to get copy of it or??? study 

I already did it and now they want to talk to me about it.. 

Thank you so much for your help

Tracey Kadner 
leopardprintgal1@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X