Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam (Read 1097431 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box psych1
Senior User

Re: MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam
Reply #75 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 2:22am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Quote:
Does anybody know how many people receive negative results from taking the mmpi and do not get the jobs they had to take it for. After everything I have read, it hardly seems like the most effective tool for a psych evaluation.

It's not a medical test, where there is an identifiable physically pathology to use as a metric for comparison. No measure of a psychological construct will reach absolute 100% specificity.  Few medical tests can reach this threshold even. For example, the blood test for HIV is 97.9% accurate in most instances. However, bottom line is that if you are psychological healthy, the test will show this. I have discussed the statistical logic behind this in previous posts on page 4 and 5. Please feel free to read them. I mentioned in my last post that both the sensitivity (proportion of actual positives which are correctly identified) and specificity (proportion of negatives which are correctly identified) of the individual subscales is very high when they were normed on clinical samples of patients already known to have the disorder. Sensitivity and specificity both in the upper 90 percent range on average. Continued research using varying populations, (i.e., normal, clinical, and forensic) have consistently shown high levels of sensitivity and specificity across populations. If you can cite peer reviewed literature to the contrary, I would be happy to hear it. "Fitness for duty" as defined by individual departments is the subjective element here. The psychologist is working as a consultant for them.  The ultimate decision rests on departmental guidelines/policy, with the input from the psychologist. I mentioned before that they are looking for personality traits and/or pathology that is contraindicated for being a law enforcement officer.  I would really not care if you were a little anxious or hypochondriacal, as this has few ramifications for you performing your duties as an officer. Things like this will be overlooked.

So what have you read about the MMPI to lead you to that conclusion? What specifically is not acceptable about the instrument?  What instrument would you suggest we use in its place?
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2008 at 5:10am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bob Ganz

Reply #76 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 2:56am
Psych1- Is the dissimulation scale ever used in forensic settings? Is it ever used for fake-good in forensic settings? Is the cutoff for fake-good -13 in forensic settings?  If not, what is it?

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #77 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 3:03am
Quote:
Psych1- Is the dissimulation scale ever used in forensic settings? Is it ever used for fake-good in forensic settings? Is the cutoff for fake-good -13 in forensic settings?  If not, what is it?    

I do not work in forensic settings anymore. I think stating the cutoffs in a public forum would be over the line in terms of test security and my ethical code. The Gough dissimulation is used rarely anymore in my experience in clinical settings for fake good determinations. That being said, I have seen it used however, but never in isolation without using other validity scales to supplement the clinical picture. It's just not as widespread as it once was in my experience. Other scales with higher sensitivity and specificity have replaced this for the most part.  Also scales like FBS and Fp that look specifically for feigning or exaggeration of specific symptomatology are in wide use in forensic settings.
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2008 at 3:35am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bob Ganz

Reply #78 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 3:15am
psych1 wrote on Jul 23rd, 2008 at 3:03am:
Quote:

I think stating the cutoffs in a public forum would be over the line in terms of test security and my ethical code. The Gough dissimulation is used rarely anymore in my experience in clincial settings. That being said, I have seen it used however, but never in isolation without using other validity scales to supplement the clinical picture. It jsut not as widespread as it once was in my experience. Other scales with higher sensitivity and specificity have replaced this for the most part.  Also scales like FBS and Fp that look specifically for feigning or exaggeration of specific symptomatology.

Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Boxermom

Reply #79 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 10:01pm
I know that the mmpi is not the only measure used to evaluate someone's ability to perform a job and that there are many other factors involved when being considered for a position. After reading some of the sample questions, I think it would be hard to answer a simple yes or no. Knowing that they expect you to answer yes or no or true or false seems interesting  but then when your results come in they say you have black or white thinking. They only offer black or white answers. Also, while many of the doctors administering these tests are I'm sure very experienced doesn't it seem a little unreasonable of them to write a full report on someone, when they might have only spoke to them for five minutes. I think if they are really going to uphold these methods, they should at least have the doctors spend more time with people.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #80 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 4:23am
Quote:
I know that the mmpi is not the only measure used to evaluate someone's ability to perform a job and that there are many other factors involved when being considered for a position. After reading some of the sample questions, I think it would be hard to answer a simple yes or no. Knowing that they expect you to answer yes or no or true or false seems interesting but then when your results come in they say you have black or white thinking. They only offer black or white answers. Also, while many of the doctors administering these tests are I'm sure very experienced doesn't it seem a little unreasonable of them to write a full report on someone, when they might have only spoke to them for five minutes. I think if they are really going to uphold these methods, they should at least have the doctors spend more time with people.

I am not really sure what you mean by this, or what you are basing this on. Who told you this?  Psychologists do not make comments on flexibility of thought based on the MMPI.  Abstract reasoning, set shifting, and cognitive flexibility are measured using other tests (if this is what you meant by this statement).  I suppose that this could be inferred if the subject answered true to all the questions that were absolutes (e.g., "People always"). Maybe this is what you meant? 

The forced choice format of the MMPI is a result of the way the test was normed. Again, the aim of the test was create an empirical way of classifying groups using the presence or absence of an endorsement as the statical discriminator between groups.  Likert scales (e.g., somewhat agree, agree, neutral, etc) are not amenable to this statistical procedure.  Although the forced choice format may presents as frustrating at times for the test taker, correlations between the MMPI and a common personality test that uses a Likert scale are high. Thus demonstrating that the use of a forced choice paradigm does not artificially influence clinical findings. 

I whole heartedly agree that a thorough clinical interview is very important to compiling an accurate picture.  The test should never be interpret blindly.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2008 at 4:43am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sarah X
New User

Reply #81 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 1:44am
I am in a messy child custody case and I guess this MPPI will be administered to the father and I as part of our psychological evaluation... Does anyone know if they will evaluate his wife as well? Or maybe his mother who watches my son when he is in his father's care... Does anyone know where to find the rest of the list of questions? I read the first 75 and they seem pretty random, I don't even know how I'd answer several of them because they don't even apply?? I am very lost and just love my son and want him with me if anyone has any more info on this process or anything else that might be of help please let me know... Thank you

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #82 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 6:56am
sarah X wrote on Aug 26th, 2008 at 1:44am:
I am in a messy child custody case and I guess this MPPI will be administered to the father and I as part of our psychological evaluation... Does anyone know if they will evaluate his wife as well? Or maybe his mother who watches my son when he is in his father's care... Does anyone know where to find the rest of the list of questions? I read the first 75 and they seem pretty random, I don't even know how I'd answer several of them because they don't even apply?? I am very lost and just love my son and want him with me if anyone has any more info on this process or anything else that might be of help please let me know... Thank you

The MMPI-2 is copyrighted by both the University of Minnesota Press and Pearson Assessment Resources, and is not in the public domain. Looking at the questions provides little assistance or help in skewing a profile while still keeping it valid or without raising red flags.  Please review my previous posts on this thread for why this is, and for how the test is scored, interpreted, etc. 

In a custody case the only people who are evaluated formally are the parties involved in the tort (i.e., the parties who will be awarded custody).  However, this does NOT mean that the extended home environment (e.g., other part-time caregivers) will not be asked about or taken into consideration during the psychologists' interviews with each party. The MMPI-2 is a frequently used measure in custody evals, however, it is by no means the only measure used during the evaluation. There will be several others assessment measures, along with a clinical interview performed by the psychologist. 
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2008 at 9:07am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box lola

Reply #83 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 10:45pm
I caught my Ex with another man, yet the test showed that he was not gay. He has also been drugging my todler son yet he pass the test as someone passive and not dangerus. He is a research/programmer. this test is only as good as the cheater taking it!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #84 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 12:25am
Quote:
I caught my Ex with another man, yet the test showed that he was not gay. He has also been drugging my todler son yet he pass the test as someone passive and not dangerus. He is a research/programmer. this test is only as good as the cheater taking it!!!!!!!!!!

I would counter that the mmpi-2 is not diagnostic for homosexuality. Scale 5 (feminine vs masculine traits) simply assesses for how much the person identifies with the traditional gender role, not sexual orientation.  The psychometric properties of this particular subscale are indeed weak and not very clinically useful. Obviously, not all homosexual men necessarily endorse feminine characteristics. Additionally, just because a male endorses items consistent with a feminine gender role, this is in no way diagnostic of homosexuality. It could be a stay-at-home dad who has little interest in sports.  See what I mean? Moreover, bisexuality can not be determined via this scale either.   

If your husband has indeed been abusing your son, this is a matter for the authorities, not a psychologist. The MMPI-2 is not designed as a measure of criminal behavior, or for the assessment of violent risk potential. There are other instruments designed for this. Engaging in criminal behavior does not automatically equal psychopathology, which is what the MMPI-2 is designed tio assess.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2008 at 1:14am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #85 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 10:16pm
I don't understand why someone would spend time trying to help people pass a psychological test.  A psychological test whether it is the MMPI or some other tool is designed to ensure the individual is qualified and capable to do that job.  Would you feel comfortable if your efforts here helped an unqualified individual to become an airline pilot or a police officer etc.  I hope I am not on that plane when one of these folks makes some type of catastrophic mistake.  If you were the only one on that plane it would not bother me.  I believe the work you are doing here is reckless and irresponsible.  Please find something more constructive to do with your life.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Uptown

Reply #86 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 4:56am
Well, lets look at the first 75. Now, a person came up w/ each question, and even though they are scored to several profiles, let's look at what some on was thinking when they added the question;

1.I like mechanics magazines Don't understand people, have to revert to machines. Psychopath
2.I have a good appetite Depressed?
3.I wake up fresh & rested most mornings Depressed?
4.I think I would like the work of a librarian introvert
5.I am easily awakened by noiseNeurotic?
6.I like to read newspaper articles on crime neurotic?
7.My hands and feet are usually warm enough I guess they would be
8.My daily life is full of things that keep me interested For most people
9.I am about as able to work as I ever was Look 4 it asked differently later
10.There seems to be a lump in my throat much of the time most peoples throats R OK ...
11.A person should try to understand his dreams and be guided by or take warning from them Kids understand Dreams are Dreams ... You, being 34 think there is enough significance to ...
12.I enjoy detective or mystery stories Dunno
13.I work under a great deal of tension people find tension where they want. Look for it to be repeated
14.I have diarrhea once a month or more most non-neurotics don't
15.Once in a while I think of things too bad to talk about Now's the time to make yourself look good ...
16.I am sure I get a raw deal from life If you don't get this ...
17.My father was a good man
18.I am very seldom troubled by constipation
19.When I take a new, I like to be tipped off on whom should be gotten next to
20.My sex life is satisfactory
21.At times I have very much wanted to leave home
22.At times I have fits of laughing & crying that I cannot control
23.I am troubled by attacks of nausea and vomiting
24.No one seems to understand me
25.I would like to be a singer
26.I feel that it is certainly best to keep my mouth shut when I’m in trouble
27.Evil spirits possess me at times
28.When someone does me a wrong I feel I should pay him back if I can, just for the principle of the thing.
29.I am bothered by acid stomach several times a week
30.At times I feel like swearing
31.I have nightmares every few nights
32.I find it hard to keep my mind on a task or job
33.I have had very peculiar and strange experiences
34.I have a cough most of the time
35.If people had not had it in for me I would have been much more successful
36.I seldom worry about my heath
37.I have never been in trouble because of my sex behavior
38.During one period when I was a youngster I engaged in petty thievery
39.At times I feel like smashing things
40.Most any time I would rather sit and daydream than to do anything else
41.I have had periods of days, weeks, or months when I couldn’t take care of things because I couldn’t “get going”
42.My family does not like the work I have chosen ( or the work I intend to choose for my life work)
43.My sleep is fitful and disturbed
44.Much of the time my head seems to hurt all over
45.I do not always tell the truth
46.My judgment is better than it ever was
47.Once a week or oftener I feel suddenly hot all over without apparent cause
48.When I am with people I am bothered by hearing very queer things
49.It would be better if almost all laws were thrown away
50.My soul sometimes leaves my body
51.I am in just as good physical health as most of my friends
52.I prefer to pass by school friends, or people I know but have not seen for a long time, unless they speak to me first
53.A minister can cure disease by praying and putting his hand on your head
54.I am liked by most people who know me
55.I am almost never bothered by pains over the heart or in my chest
56.As a youngster I was suspended from school one or more times for cutting up
57.I am a good mixer
58.Everything is turning out just like the prophets of the Bible said it would
59.I have often had to take orders from someone who did not know as much as I did
60.I do not read every editorial in the newspaper everyday
61.I have not lived the right kind of life
62.Parts of my body often have feeling like burning, tingling, crawling, or like “going to sleep”
63.I have had no difficulty in starting or holding my bowel movement
64.I sometimes keep on at a thing until others lose their patience with me
65.I loved my father
66.I see things or animals or people around me that others do not see
67.I wish I could be as happy as others seem to be
68.I hardly ever feel pain in the back of the neck
69.I am very strongly attracted by members of my own sex
70.I used to like drop-the-handkerchief
71.I think a great many people exaggerate their misfortunes in order to gain the sympathy and help of others
72.I am troubled by discomfort in the pit of my stomach every few days or oftener
73.I am an important person
74.I have often wished I were a girl.  (Or if you are a girl) I have never been sorry that I am a girl
75.I get angry sometimes

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #87 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 5:10am
Why are you assuming items are face valid indicators of the construct they are measuring?   

This demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of how the test was developed.  Please see my post on the previous page (on page 5) on the subject of  "empirical keying" vs "clincial rational" for the construction of the item pool of the MMPI
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2008 at 6:55am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jason

Reply #88 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 10:44pm
I am taking the test and was wanting a copy of it to look and see all the questions. Can you email me a copy please. What is the percent of people that fail it and what would make you fail?

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #89 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 12:20am
The MMPI-2 is copyrighted by both the University of Minnesota Press and Pearson Assessment Resources, and is not in the public domain. It is not a pass/fail.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X