Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam (Read 1097515 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam
Reply #45 - May 30th, 2008 at 8:09am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Quote:
I would emplore anyone to be honest and natural when taking the MPPI-2. Please think about this from the clinician's (psychologist's) perspective. A slight elevation on many of the clinical scales are not necessarily a contraindication for the job. The MMPI measures many constructs.  I really don't care if you happen to be a bit hypochondriacal, or have dysphoric tendencies. Even mild anxiety disorders. If the problem is well controlled, or mild, and/or unlikely to affect job performance, it not a big deal. However, when they see elevated validity scales that demonstrate attempts to underreport or "fake-good," at the very least, it suggests deceitful behavior and a standard of ethics that is contraindicated in a law enforcement officer. Further, it opens up the window of suspicion on what factors might underly the motivation to deceive. Paranoia? Significant Psych issues/history? What else might the candidate be lying about or covering up?

Gee whiz professor, can it tell if I'm having "naughty" thoughts, or have been playing with my "privates"?   Lips Sealed

TC

P.S.  I don't care what you say, repeated F3 reactions to a question does not necessarily indicate "deception", it just indicates persistent "reactions".  Or as the NAS report stated, these reactions are not uniquely related to "deception".  Or as Phil Zimbardo has said, "there is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...".  Cloak your theory in all the fancy scientific mumbo-jumbo you want, you will never get around that fact.

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #46 - May 30th, 2008 at 10:19am
sackett wrote on May 30th, 2008 at 4:05am:
psych1,

because this site, it's promoters and supporters have no belief in any testing or process that is not scientifically supported by the entire related community, to be absolutely factual and accurate, based on deeply researched and peer reviewed studies which allow for no mistakes, no distortions or any possible contamination and most of all no potential for false results in any way shape or form at any level of finding.

I think that leaves mathematics!  All else, they feel cheating is the only way to succeed.

Sackett

Do you really feel it is appropriate to speak to what is on the mind of this site's promoters and supporters?

Do you really feel the need to denigrate anyone possessing an opinion with which you disagree?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #47 - May 30th, 2008 at 12:25pm
Sergeant1107 wrote on May 30th, 2008 at 10:19am:
psych1,

because this site, it's promoters and supporters have no belief in any testing or process that is not scientifically supported by the entire related community, to be absolutely factual and accurate, based on deeply researched and peer reviewed studies which allow for no mistakes, no distortions or any possible contamination and most of all no potential for false results in any way shape or form at any level of finding.

I think that leaves mathematics!  All else, they feel cheating is the only way to succeed.

Sackett

Do you really feel it is appropriate to speak to what is on the mind of this site's promoters and supporters?

Do you really feel the need to denigrate anyone possessing an opinion with which you disagree?

He does, because he knows he is loosing his battle.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Reply #48 - May 30th, 2008 at 2:47pm
Sergeant1107 wrote on May 30th, 2008 at 10:19am:
psych1,

Sackett

Sarge,

the evidence of my statements come from the postings on this board, not a simpleminded opinion, based on minimal actual knowledge, as does some of those who post on this board.   

As for the term denigration.  I believe that act would would require a specific target and proof that anyone was actually harmed as a result of my statement.  Your accusations fail to rise to that standard of proof.

Sackett

n.p.c.  whose really losing the battle? Polygraph is stable and growing in use around the world, standardizing its procedures and processes as we speak and as strong as it ever was and more so.  If you wish to deceive yourself and those on this board, feel free to continue. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box psych1
Senior User

Reply #49 - May 30th, 2008 at 8:37pm
T.M. Cullen wrote on May 30th, 2008 at 8:09am:
Quote:
I would emplore anyone to be honest and natural when taking the MPPI-2. Please think about this from the clinician's (psychologist's) perspective. A slight elevation on many of the clinical scales are not necessarily a contraindication for the job. The MMPI measures many constructs.  I really don't care if you happen to be a bit hypochondriacal, or have dysphoric tendencies. Even mild anxiety disorders. If the problem is well controlled, or mild, and/or unlikely to affect job performance, it not a big deal. However, when they see elevated validity scales that demonstrate attempts to underreport or "fake-good," at the very least, it suggests deceitful behavior and a standard of ethics that is contraindicated in a law enforcement officer. Further, it opens up the window of suspicion on what factors might underly the motivation to deceive. Paranoia? Significant Psych issues/history? What else might the candidate be lying about or covering up?

Gee whiz professor, can it tell if I'm having "naughty" thoughts, or have been playing with my "privates"?   Lips Sealed

TC

P.S.  I don't care what you say, repeated F3 reactions to a question does not necessarily indicate "deception", it just indicates persistent "reactions".  Or as the NAS report stated, these reactions are not uniquely related to "deception".  Or as Phil Zimbardo has said, "there is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...".  Cloak your theory in all the fancy scientific mumbo-jumbo you want, you will never get around that fact.

You have commented on the wrong instrument and the wrong topic. Dr. Zimardo is referring to a polygraph machine and the methodology used within it.  I am not knowledgeable in that matter and was not the topic of this thread. (Although I do know the F3 reaction is a Galvanic Skin response paradigm implored in psychophysiological research and in the polygraph screening). I was referring to the MMPI-2 which is the topic of this thread. The two have nothing in common, and are totally different measures, looking at very different constructs, using different methods for arriving at conclusions. The MMPI-2 is paper and pencil questionnaire that measures personality constructs and levels of psychopathology. There are no machines and no measures of physiological arousal on the MMPI-2. The validity scales are not polygraphs or "lie detectors," but do use statistics to look for signs of overreporting or underreporting of symptomotology. When the scales are raised high enough, they suggest that the chances of elevation to that point by chance alone is so low that conscious intent to distort is the only viable explanation.  With regard to the validity of Polygraph, I am not jumping into that debate, although I will say I would warn you not to put all your eggs in one basket (i.e., Zimbardo). Statistically, you are likely to find many outliers. Only searching and/or evaluating evidence that confirms preexisting beliefs is not a very scientific way to address a debate, and of course leads to confirmation bias, illusory correlations, and a whole host of other logical fallacies that we are prone to.  I am only here to comment on the validity of the MMPI-2 in assessing psychological functioning and it added benefit of being able to discriminate feigned vs true psychological impairment (or normality), not the validity of polygraph or "lie detector" instruments.

Lastly, I would argue that intellectual debate between parties is both a healthy and a rather fun activity. I guess there aren't many lawyers in here..lol What a boring world it would be if everyone agreed with us all the time, right?
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2008 at 1:08am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #50 - May 30th, 2008 at 9:18pm
sackett wrote on May 30th, 2008 at 2:47pm:
Sarge,

the evidence of my statements come from the postings on this board, not a simpleminded opinion, based on minimal actual knowledge, as does some of those who post on this board.  

As for the term denigration.  I believe that act would would require a specific target and proof that anyone was actually harmed as a result of my statement.  Your accusations fail to rise to that standard of proof.

Sackett

Perhaps you have a different definition of "denigrate" than the rest of us.  The word means "to criticize in a deragotory manner."  

I don't see the following run-on sentence fragment, authored by you, could reasonably be characterized as anything else: "because this site, it's promoters and supporters have no belief in any testing or process that is not scientifically supported by the entire related community, to be absolutely factual and accurate, based on deeply researched and peer reviewed studies which allow for no mistakes, no distortions or any possible contamination and most of all no potential for false results in any way shape or form at any level of finding."

It is hardly an "accusation" to recognize something for what it is and identify it as such.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #51 - May 30th, 2008 at 11:09pm
psych1

If you are in search of a healthy fun intellectual debate, oh boy, did you ever come to the wrong board.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #52 - May 31st, 2008 at 12:36am
Quote:
The MMPI-2 is paper and pencil questionnaire that measures personality constructs and levels of psychopathology. There are no machines and no measures of physiological arousal on the MMPI-2.

Okay, I stand corrected.

I had to take a test similar to that at the NSA during the psych screening.  The lady just kept shaking her head after scoring my test and showed me the way back to the lobby with a really disgusted look on her face.  Bitch!

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #53 - May 31st, 2008 at 12:46am
Sergeant1107 wrote on May 30th, 2008 at 9:18pm:
sackett wrote on May 30th, 2008 at 2:47pm:
Sarge,

As for the term denigration.  I believe that act would would require a specific target and proof that anyone was actually harmed as a result of my statement.  Your accusations fail to rise to that standard of proof.

Sackett

Perhaps you have a different definition of "denigrate" than the rest of us.  The word means "to criticize in a deragotory manner."  

I don't see the following run-on sentence fragment, authored by you, could reasonably be characterized as anything else: "because this site, it's promoters and supporters have no belief in any testing or process that is not scientifically supported by the entire related community, to be absolutely factual and accurate, based on deeply researched and peer reviewed studies which allow for no mistakes, no distortions or any possible contamination and most of all no potential for false results in any way shape or form at any level of finding."

It is hardly an "accusation" to recognize something for what it is and identify it as such.

Thanks Sarge,

I'll take you last statement as an endorsement of my run-on sentence.

Sackett

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #54 - May 31st, 2008 at 12:48am
T.M. Cullen wrote on May 31st, 2008 at 12:36am:
Quote:
The MMPI-2 is paper and pencil questionnaire that measures personality constructs and levels of psychopathology. There are no machines and no measures of physiological arousal on the MMPI-2.

Okay, I stand corrected.

I had to take a test similar to that at the NSA during the psych screening.  The lady just kept shaking her head after scoring my test and showed me the way back to the lobby with a really disgusted look on her face.  Bitch!

TC

Maybe it was your "fake-good" tendancies... Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joyce Hauk

Reply #55 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 6:18am
I was wondering if you would be able to send me all the questions for the MMPI-2 test. I have to take it and would like an opportunity to study it first.

Thank you  Smiley

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #56 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 4:50am
What exactly would you study?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box RadFace

Reply #57 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 12:54am
If you need to cheat on the MMPI-2 in order for you to become a police officer. Then please sit down think, and do everyone else a favor and find another profession. MMPI-2 is an accurate assesment, no pass or fail, you have a 1on1 interview afterwards. I dont want to be working with officers that has psychotic tendencies, so I believe in this test. I just took one with no problem, yea my hand hurts, and it took about 3 1/2 hours. Be who you are, dont pretend to be someone else. Remember INTEGRITY is very important quality for a law enforcement officer.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #58 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 2:48pm
Quote:
If you need to cheat on the MMPI-2 in order for you to become a police officer. Then please sit down think, and do everyone else a favor and find another profession. MMPI-2 is an accurate assesment, no pass or fail, you have a 1on1 interview afterwards. I dont want to be working with officers that has psychotic tendencies, so I believe in this test. I just took one with no problem, yea my hand hurts, and it took about 3 1/2 hours. Be who you are, dont pretend to be someone else. Remember INTEGRITY is very important quality for a law enforcement officer.

The MMPI can be manipulated very easily.  In fact, my undergraduate degree is in psychology, and in my abnormal psychology class, we studied the MMPI, seeing how the questions fit together, and how easliy it is manipulated.   

I say don't throw it out completely, but certainly, do not use it at the exclusion of other factors.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #59 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 1:16am
nopolycop wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008 at 2:48pm:
Quote:

The MMPI can be manipulated very easily.  In fact, my undergraduate degree is in psychology, and in my abnormal psychology class, we studied the MMPI, seeing how the questions fit together, and how easliy it is manipulated.   

I say don't throw it out completely, but certainly, do not use it at the exclusion of other factors.

The published literature on analogue/coached malingering would disagree with you there. Although it can be done, it is very hard (not easy) to do without raising alarm bells on the validity scales, particularly the supplemental validity scales that have been developed in the past decade that are more focused on individuals who try to fake or underreported specific phenomenology, and especially sensitive to those who have been "coached." Both the sensitivity and specificity are high for these scales, albeit not generally as high as the standard validity scales. (i.e., K, F, L). They do meet the Daubert criteria for admissibility in court however. Although the Fb scale has been controversial in several high profile cases in Florida, so I'm not sure if it still would or not. I would also add that an undergrad class in abnormal psych does not provide the time nor the depth necessary to fully understand the psychometric properties, statistics, and the empirical keying (rather than theoretical) method underlying the test.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2008 at 8:53am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X