Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 38 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam (Read 1095528 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box psych1
Senior User

Re: MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam
Reply #300 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 2:57am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Twoblock wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 10:23pm:
TC

and, done right, psych1 or noone else can certify that it was messed with 

based on?

This is incorrect. I can and have argued that tests results were not valid based on evidence of exaggeration of symptomatology. My testimony is/was considered valid, both legally and scientifically. Opinions on response bias is legally permissable under frye and daubert standards of evidence admissability, and backed up scientifically by empirical research on the use of the MMPI in clinical and forensic samples. Statistics are your friend....my friend. Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2009 at 6:17pm by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #301 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 5:50pm
Twoblock wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 10:23pm:
TC

If the court orders the test, the one sure as hell better take it or he/she will be in violation of a court order.

Again, this is incorrect. Courts do not order MMPIs or any other psych tests for that matter.  A judge can request a psychological or neuropsychologial evaluation. The psychologist will determine what tests are needed and what tests are appopriate. There is no "court order" for psych evals, at least not in the sense that a person can be actively punished (contempt of court or jail) if they do not cooperate. If a person does not coperate with a psych eval as requested by the court, it is a detriment to his defense. As long as he is competent to stand trial,the law assumes a person is aware of the consequences. Again, this is because of the value the american justice system puts on individual freeedom. As long as a individual is judged to be legally competent (which is a relatively simple legal judgment that can be accomplished via informal assessment/interview, they are free do run their defense any way they see most fit. If that includes refusing a psych eval, so be it. Fine by us. They will not put the person in jail until they cooperate. The legal system (grand jury hearing, trial, sentencing, etc) will continue to move forward without it, just as it has for thousands of years before psychiatry existed. 

Again, I would advise getting your facts straights before dissemenating false infomation.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2009 at 6:09pm by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #302 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 9:46pm
NO IT ISN'T INCORRECT. If you, like polygraphers, were not so eager to defend your profession, you would take time to understand statements. I said "IF" the court orders. I didn't say they did or didn't. Now did I????

I personally know of two cases ( that refutes your statement) where the court ordered them into a state psych hospital for eval. and the judge was fully aware that MMPI (and other tests) were standard proceedure. I forget now the other two test that he specifically mentioned.

You should check with the legal profession before spouting disinformation.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Tom
New User

Reply #303 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 3:17pm
I am a psychometrist, that is a professional psychological and neuropsychological examiner. I have given 100's of MMPI-2 and tests like it. If you feel the test is not an accurate estimate of your current level of functioning, fine. Ask for more testing, more data can often clear things up. I was a LEO way back in the day; I had a partner draw his weapon and jammed it in between my Kevlar vest and arm pit. Later testing proved him to be schizophrenic - paranoid type. I almost lost my life because of poor screening. Just be yourself if you are not floridly psychotic or a real asshole you will be fine. Don't freaking lie. We know when you lie and it often can trigger more testing geared towards people we suspect of trying to cheat. I do compensation and pension exams from time to time. Watching someone fake bad is almost as funny as watching someone lie who wants to enforce the rule of law. 
Law enforcement is a sacred trust. If you think you have some issues that might flag you on the test. Go pay some out of pocket money and talk it over with a licensed therapist. You will learn about yourself and gain some people skills that will help you when the job gets hard… it will get hard sometimes. When you see what people are capable of on a daily basis it can wear you down. For those of you that make it and take your oath… when people start to lie to you on the street and it really pisses you off, think about the examiner and psychologist that did your assessment.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Knightshaiid
User

"Sacred Trust"
Reply #304 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 3:46pm
Your beautiful prose would be so much more profound were it all true.

Most department's selection processes are in the stone age, the psychologists they hire usually the lowest bidder. Police departments have an incredibly bad habit of dissecting their applicants into so much useless data and then judging the useless data.

Why is domestic abuse higher among those in the military and law enforcement? Why is alcohol abuse higher among those in the military and law enforcement? I attribute both to bad screening - 'job stress' isn't an excuse to beat your family, or drink incessantly.
(And I'm former military so save the 'bleeding heart liberal'  speech.)
I know the job is stressful, and I'm not trying to put down what you do - I want to do it, too!

Dumb questions on old psychological assessments and investigators who use 'lie detection' in lieu of actual background investigative work along with psychologists who have no clinical practice add up to a bad way to screen people, and after a department or two, this bad way to screen people encourages otherwise honest applicants to start lying.

Law enforcement SHOULD be a sacred trust. If/when their selection processes catch up to the 20th century, it might be.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #305 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 8:39am
Tom wrote on Oct 28th, 2009 at 3:17pm:
I am a psychometrist, that is a professional psychological and neuropsychological examiner. 

First of all, if you are a psychometrist, you are NOT a professional "neuropsychological examiner." You are a "psychometrist." You may be a good one, but touting yourself as a "proessional neuropsychological examiner" is a misrepresentation of your scope of expertise and practice. The competent and ethical practice of neuropsychology requires a doctoral degree in clinical psychology followed by a 2 year post-doc fellowship in clinical neuropsychology. http://www.div40.org/

Second, if you are admistering MMPIs as a "psychometrist" your interpretations and reports based on this assessment should be supervised by a doctoral level psychologist. If they arent, you are llikley in violation of state licensing laws and on a slippery ethical slope with the APA. "Psychometrist" does not equal "psychologist." Please see the ethical code below.

9.07 Assessment by Unqualified Persons
Psychologists do not promote the use of psychological assessment techniques by unqualified persons, except when such use is conducted for training purposes with appropriate supervision. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Knightshaiid
User

Yeah what psych1 said!
Reply #306 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 3:13pm
And from the slippery ethical slope you're on, you dare pontificate about "Sacred Trusts?"

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #307 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 6:28pm
Tom wrote on Oct 28th, 2009 at 3:17pm:
We know when you lie and it often can trigger more testing geared towards people we suspect of trying to cheat. I do compensation and pension exams from time to time. Watching someone fake bad is almost as funny as watching someone lie who wants to enforce the rule of law. 

I agree that watching unsophictated types try to malinger can sometimes be a excercise in hilarity. However, overall, your proclaimed certainty of "we know when you lie" concerns me, at least from a clincial practice standpoint. Let me explain.......

I've assessed hundreds of people. I publish research on symptom validity measures fairly frequently and I am often humbled by my inability to predict who will pass and who will fail SVTs. If I do think I've developed some exceptionally predictive powers, I'm concerned that I'm simply using 20/20 hindsight. In my role as psychologist, I am often humbled by what I dont know and by accepting the limitation of "clinical judgment." Meehl espoused this notion over 50 years ago, and we (as a profession) have been slow to change or paradigm. In sum, always approach the data with caution and humility.

In 1951, Jacob Bronowski, one of the physicists on the Manhattan Project, made a statement that I think is relevant to your 'certainty'

“One aim of the physical sciences has been to give an exact picture of the material world. One achievement of physics in the 20th Century has been to prove that that aim is unattainable…what physics has done is to show that …There is no absolute knowledge. And those who claim it, whether they are scientists or dogmatists, open the door to tragedy. All information is imperfect. We have to treat it with humility. That is the human condition, and that is what quantum physics says.” Bronowski The Ascent of Man, p. 353 

I have a hard time believing that our science (psychology) is a more rigorous and objective science than physics.

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2009 at 6:30pm by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box understand
New User

Reply #308 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 1:09am
I would like to know if anyone has been forced to take the MMPI-2 test for a custody evaluation.  If so what was the recommendation either way.  Im not nervous about taking the test myself, but I want to understand why they ask certain questions?  Some of the 75 questions that were posted seem ridiculous!  Like My hands and feet are usually warm enough?  What will that question prove?  Please give me some insight on why certain questions are asked, and what do they mean if answered yes or no?  Or where I can go to get a book that will help me understand what the meaning behind these questions are.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #309 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 2:26am
A complete psychological evaluation is usually standard in custody disputes, but no one is ever forced to do anything. However,  refusing a psych exam requires accepting the consequences of this decision. That is, failing to demonstrate that you are a psychologically heathy and appopriate to be a caretaker may adversly affect your case. If that is your choice, so be it.

Items were "emprirically keyed" to scales based on a differential endorsement by a certain clinical group (ie., those with certain disorders) in comparison to a normative group sample. 
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2009 at 2:25am by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #310 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 4:17pm
understand

Now that you have been thoroughly educated and you completely understand the second paragraph of psychobabble, you can now ace the test. What she is actually saying is that the interpretation of your answers is based on a specific group's data from a specific group of subjects and therefore biased by the testing group. If you refuse to take the test they will use that against you. If you take the test and it doesn't meet the requirement of the tester, they will use that against you. The test is useless.
You can take the test three times with three different testers and get three different analysis.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #311 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 12:54am
Twoblock wrote on Dec 5th, 2009 at 4:17pm:
What she is actually saying is that the interpretation of your answers is based on a specific group's data from a specific group of subjects and therefore biased by the testing group.

Im not understanding the thought process that has lead to this conclusion, please elaborate. 

If normal groups (non-patients) and clinical groups (patients) are unstatsifactory normative groups to you, what groups do you propose we use? I dont follow....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Educo
New User

Reply #312 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 11:36am
psych1 wrote on Dec 6th, 2009 at 12:54am:
Twoblock wrote on Dec 5th, 2009 at 4:17pm:
What she is actually saying is that the interpretation of your answers is based on a specific group's data from a specific group of subjects and therefore biased by the testing group.

Im not understanding the thought process that has lead to this conclusion, please elaborate. 

If normal groups (non-patients) and clinical groups (patients) are unstatsifactory normative groups to you, what groups do you propose we use? I dont follow....

The MMPI-2 is an abomination and I don't say that lightly. I've examined all 567 questions in detail including the underlying code used for scoring. It is quite easy to manipulate and as most of the methodology used for scoring is already in the public domain, no amount of DMCA take-downs will prevent a determined applicant from accessing its content.  

What we have here is an 19th century tool up against 21st century technology. It is an insult to any intelligent person to be asked to answer a series of thinly disguised questions, which, on the face of it, could destroy his or her career for life. 

This test does not play fair. One or two slips of the pen and you can be branded in an instant. IMHO anyone who attempts to manipulate it or usurp its functionality by getting into the coding is perfectly within their rights to do so. Psych 1 will no doubt disagree with that analysis. 

So what is the alternative? The reality is, there is no alternative. Psychological testing is immutable and therefore inadequate and totally biased against the applicant. 

There are too many variables. Someone smack bang in the middle of a reactive depression could raise their score through the roof on the Pd or ASP T scales but might yield a perfectly normative result several months later.

As for Faking (Good) and Faking (Bad) I've never read such unmitigated S**t in all my life. This is the MMPI's get out of Jail card. I won't go into the individual questions themselves because this is not what this post is about, but puhleezz, spare me the agony of having to explain myself. 

The bottom line is, there is a lot of very good airline staff, correctional officers and parents who have been trashed by this outrageous test and the sooner the better it is binned the better for us all.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #313 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 8:47pm
1. Endorsement of an item in the deviant direction is worth about 1.5 T score points. Therefore, "one or two slips of the pen" (whatever than means) would not lead to any clinically meaningful change in intepretation.

2. The mmpi is interpreted in layers and there are many more scales than just the 10 clinical scales. These are are all taken into acount. Its not a simple process and no one scale elevation is going to lead to any intepretation.  All the data must come together to support any interpretation from the mmpi including interview, history, etc. I can not understand why people continue to perserverate on the notion that the test in interpreted blindly without taking into acount history and situational factors. I have stated this over and over, yet people continue to perceive this. 

3. Yes, MMPI scores can change from time period to time period and when one is depresed or not depresed. This is the whole reason the test was developed! Im not sure I understand why you think this is bad. If anything, it demonstrates that the test is senstive to changes in levels of psychopathology over time.We are ever evolving creatures.  Although pd could concievably change with levels of depression, I can not fathom a reason why the t score on ASP would? I mean the person is now torturing aninmals because they are depresseed? I dont think so. 

I agree that the field of assessment of psychopathology and persoanlity has evolved at an embarrisingly slow pace. The MMPI could be better, but right now its the best we have and research shows that its does a good job at indentifying certain psychopathology. There is no (and i mean none) debate about this in the scientific community. However, you are correct that the current form has alot of variables and alot of "noise" when looking over the scales. Parsing out pathology from benign factors is indeed tough.  Interptetation is difficult and takes a skilled clinicain who has ample training in all aspects of clinical psychology.
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2009 at 10:10pm by psych1 »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Educo
New User

Reply #314 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 11:29am
psych1 wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 8:47pm:
1. Endorsement of an item in the deviant direction is worth about 1.5 T score points. Therefore, "one or two slips of the pen" (whatever than means) would not lead to any clinically meaningful change in intepretation.

There are several key questions in the MMPI-2 which are loaded and re-worded in many instances, all of which have the potential to deliver a false diagnostic no matter how you interpret the final result. Your interpretations - with respect - are predicated on the interviewee answering truthfully or not as the case may be and this is my main point of contention.

The MMPI-2, in its current form, does not have sufficient safeguards built-in to mitigate against a reasonably educated attempt to deliver a positive or normative result.

Quote:
2. The mmpi is interpreted in layers and there are many more scales than just the 10 clinical scales. These are are all taken into acount. Its not a simple process and no one scale elevation is going to lead to any intepretation.  All the data must come together to support any interpretation from the mmpi including interview, history, etc.

I am all too familiar with the number of scales but as I said earlier the interpretation is only as good as the information you receive and that includes history taking. People will ideally want a favourable result. That's a given. How they achieve that is open to debate and even corroboration is not to be relied upon should we doubt them and especially in family law studies.

Quote:
I can not understand why people continue to perserverate on the notion that the test in interpreted blindly without taking into acount history and situational factors. I have stated this over and over, yet people continue to perceive this.

This is a generalised statement which presumably has been cushioned so as not to be direct. However I think it has already been answered above.

Quote:
3. Yes, MMPI scores can change from time period to time period and when one is depresed or not depresed. This is the whole reason the test was developed! Im not sure I understand why you think this is bad.

Well of course it's bad! Any analysis with so many variables cannot be trusted or relied upon. And especially in criminal and family law cases where there is so much at stake! 

Quote:
If anything, it demonstrates that the test is senstive to changes in levels of psychopathology over time.

It certainly does no such thing! Let's face it, we're talking about a multiple series of questions that require a certain degree of literacy and self-awareness on the part of the subject taking the test. Add in some of the variables discussed earlier and this quickly becomes an exercise in futility. And please don't suggest history taking as an adjunct! I have observed perfectly capable interviewees who are able to conduct themselves verbally but put a pen in their hand and they become bumbling basket cases. Exam pressure, performance pressure, the desire to please, all of these internal factors can dramatically influence results.

Quote:
We are ever evolving creatures.

Correct! And we are also adaptive or mal-adaptive as the case may be when faced with an interrogative test that purports to make a judgement that not even the Lord himself would attempt.

Quote:
Although pd could concievably change with levels of depression, I can not fathom a reason why the t score on ASP would? I mean the person is now torturing aninmals because they are depresseed? I dont think so.

Counsellor, you've taken 1 question off a series in isolation and formed an opinion on that basis; what about these? [26,35,66,81,84,104,105,110,123,227,240,248,250,254,269,283,284,374,412,418,419]. 

Numbers aside, the harsh reality is, most applicants do not have the luxury of repeating this test. This is a one-hit wonder for many of them and it is prohibitively expensive for most.

Quote:
I agree that the field of assessment of psychopathology and persoanlity has evolved at an embarrisingly slow pace. The MMPI could be better, but right now its the best we have and research shows that its does a good job at indentifying certain psychopathology.

And this is why it should be banned without hestitation. The best we have is simply not good enough and especially when people's lives can be turned upside down by a series of heavily weighted questions.

Quote:
There is no (and i mean none) debate about this in the scientific community.

Well of course there isn't. Open transparency and the inherent limitations of these tests is hardly a topic for scientific debate and admission of guilt. The litigation that would ensue and the resultant cost of premiums would make it impossible for clinicians to operate. What we have instead is a protectionist attitude towards psychometric testing that is akin to the official states secret act. Let's face it, if there were serious question marks over the methodology used and the construct validity of the MMPI the judicial system would be swamped with appeals. So there is a lot at stake here including commercial interests.

Quote:
However, you are correct that the current form has alot of variables and alot of "noise" when looking over the scales. Parsing out pathology from benign factors is indeed tough.

That, with respect, is an understatement! But tough on who!?!

Quote:
Interptetation is difficult and takes a skilled clinicain who has ample training in all aspects of clinical psychology.

They are few and far between. In the absence of a skilled clinician your fate can just as easily rest in the hands of a spotty faced Phd with about as much clinical experience as a box of fairies.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2009 at 1:43pm by Educo »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 38
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
MMPI 2 First 75 Questions out of 567 Psych Exam

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X