Normal Topic Help with Admissions for Psych & Medical (Read 8336 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ThugCop
New User

Help with Admissions for Psych & Medical
Feb 21st, 2005 at 1:39pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi All,

I have currently passed a polygraph & a background investigation for a California LE agency.  I have a clean background & I thank the antipolygraph website helping me through the polygraph.  I am a very honest person but I am now dealing with a dilema of trying to figure out what to disclose for my pysch and medical.  I have taken some anti-depressants briefly three years ago for some social anxieties in college and have also taken them briefly about ten years ago for some depression.  I am currently fine and do not need those medications.  I'm not that worried about taking the MMPI but am worried if the psych doctor asks about my past mental or medical history.  Should I disclose any of it?.. Should I deny taking the medication that I've taken in the past?  If I told the psych doctor that I've taken anti-depressants, can the Psych doctor force me to sign a medical release form in order to look at my medical files?  If I refuse to sign a disclosure statement and did not allow for him to see my past medical history, would I be DQ?  My friend is now working for a different LE than I applied for and has a similar background to mine and denied ever having any problems to the psych doctor.  He passed & got his job.  Can the California LE agency I'm applying for, force me to disclose my past medical info?  I'm very much concerned as I don't want this to ruin my career.  I just don't want to feel like a criminal or something just because I tried to seek some help for something I thought I had years ago.  Please I would appreciate some much needed advice.  Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gerber
New User

Re: Help with Admissions for Psych & Medical
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 5:57pm
In my personal opinion, I would go ahead and tell them about those things.  Play them down as if they didn't bother you, though.  Offer the overview and let them ask the details.  Why are you so concerned about your past?  Do they impact you now?  If you want to hide them for whatever reason, what would that say about you?  Are you really over them?  If you are, what is there to be ashamed of?  Human nature?  It shows people that you can admit that there have been hard parts in your life (we all have been through them) and that you know how to seek help when you need it.  If for some reason they were to find that you were hiding something, they would question what else was hidden.  (Things tend to come out.  I've had a like experience) By telling them, you are basically giving the message "hey, I'm human and I'm not perfect, but I can overcome whatever comes my way".  It says you can accept yourself for who you are.  Smiley  But that's just a silly girl's opinion.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: Help with Admissions for Psych & Medical
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 1:10am
This is actually quite a tricky situation since having some sort of mental health problem carries a negative stigma to it.  You don't want to be mislabeled.  While I have never been in your position, I have sat on many hiring boards and can offer you this insight. 

I would not have a problem disclosing this information to the actual psychologist or pshyciatrist as they know what they are talking about and will properly evaluate you concerning your suitability for the job.  It also is a plus that you did go seek out help with your problem.  

I would not, however, mention any of this to any of the HR people or the background investigators or anyone in the department.  It is none of their business and they do not need to know about it.  

http://www.las-elc.org/mhealth.pdf

https://www.1stoplegalforms.com/FormLs/FL_0006.asp?Page_ID=4

SO to sum it all up

1.  Yes, be honest with the psychologist.  He may request your file from your previous doctor or he may just run an evaluation on you without it.   

2.  You do not need to tell anyone in the department about this information.   

3.  Good luck

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Help with Admissions for Psych & Medical

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X