Normal Topic Canadian Question! (Read 3270 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box scared_of_the_poly
New User

Canadian Question!
Sep 21st, 2005 at 9:16am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Ok guys I want to become a corrections officer in BC canada but the thing is I gotta take a polygraph and it asks questions such as ever pick up a prostitue.. which i have.. and i have smoked pot and i do have a few friends involved in criminal activity and when i mean criminal activity i mean mimor stuff... but i am not.. So what should i do for the polygrah i have no criminal record just so everyone knows.. should i lie on the questionaire? will they ask me those questions in particular during the polygragh? ne one lie and get away with it?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: Canadian Question!
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 6:55pm
I personally do not believe that lying is the best way to start your career in LE.  As far as the Marijuana smoking is concerned it really should not be an issue if it was a few years ago and you didn't light up like Cheech and Chong.  (I believe the department for which you are applying more than likely has a cut off point at which they draw the line on Marijuana usage)

ALL of us more than likely have an acquaintance or acquaintances that are screw ups, the difference is that upon realizing that they are screw ups or simply put involved in criminal activity no matter how minor they stay acquaintances and not "friends".  If you have managed to keep you distance from these people and do not associate with them, then it should not be a problem.

As far as the prostitution I really have not seen any dept that has tolerance for this.  I really do not have any advice on this issue as it more than likely will be what disqualifies you.  While technically prostitution is a victimless crime in society it is seen as VERY wrong.  Unless of course you are Charlie Sheen and then society just laughs it away and forgives it.   

I am going to be honest with you here in that it won't hurt for you to give it a try and be HONEST, however I really do not think you are cut up to be in LE at this time.  I do not know BC's view on the above mentioned items and perhaps they are more lax than the US, but I can only give you my American opinion on the matter.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box scared_of_the_poly
New User

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 7:37pm
Ok soo lets say i dont lie about the prostitute and say yes i have used drugs in the past  but i did  in 98/99 because the last time i did was like a few days ago (weed)  but if i say yes i did and just say my first time was in like 99/98 am i technically lying?.. and i know this doesnt look good but when asked if i had sex with a minor could i just bring up the one time when i was 18 and my gf was 17 .. and that will be sufficient enough or will he ask if theres another time?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 9:23pm
Quote:
Posted by: scared_of_the_poly Posted on: Today at 9:37am 
Ok soo lets say i dont lie about the prostitute and say yes i have used drugs in the past  but i did  in 98/99 because the last time i did was like a few days ago (weed)  but if i say yes i did and just say my first time was in like 99/98 am i technically lying?.. and i know this doesnt look good but when asked if i had sex with a minor could i just bring up the one time when i was 18 and my gf was 17 .. and that will be sufficient enough or will he ask if theres another time?   

Rationalizing will not make your position any more truthful.  If you choose to lie that is a decision you will have to live with.  Perhaps you can tell me why a criminal should protect the public from criminals.  Sounds like a horrible plan of action.  If you lie the results of the polygraph may induce the examiner to conduct an interrogation in which you will possibly succumb to the pressure and admit your usage in an honest straightforward manner.  You may in fact "pass" a polygraph and still be subjected to an interrogation.  Another possibility is that you will be outed in the background investigation.

Lie at your own peril.  Dishonesty, however, is not advisable.  As previously stated, if you don't meet the qualifications do not apply.  It will be a ridiculous waste of time and resources for the agency.

Also, a polygraph examiner will not be satisfied with only the approximate date of your first marijuana usage.  He will explore the topic in detail, so you will end up lying if you refuse to acknowledge your true history.  Lying = bad move.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mercible
New User

Darkcobra IS my Father!

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 12:13am
scared, 

Looks like you have some skeletons in your closet that you may not want to expose by going into any law enforcement job, even corrections.  I'd suggest a non-law enforcement job for you.  See my initial post to this board: http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=off;action=display;num=112...

Taking a polygraph is risky business.  As is often mentioned on this site, the best choice is don't subject yourself to a polygraph in the first place.

Good luck on whatever path you choose.

Mercible

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction. Prov 1:7

IP Logged

Canadian Question!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X