Normal Topic Failed FBI Poly--Screwed for life? (Read 7820 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box fivekids
New User

Failed FBI Poly--Screwed for life?
Feb 16th, 2005 at 11:33pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Last year, I failed a polygraph test for employment with the FBI.  They said that I was being "deceptive" concerning my compliance with the FBI’s drug policy.  This is despite the fact that I have a clean background.  According to the FBI, I was a "glowing candidate" and they wished they "had more people like me." They knew the test was wrong, but did nothing.

I am currently trying to get a job with a company that works with Homeland Security.  The position requires a confidential clearance level.  Is the FBI polygraph test going to prevent me from getting clearance with DHS?  Is there anything I can do about it? 

Help!  I have five kids, two master's degrees, and no job.  Can the FBI really prevent me from working with the government even though I have one the cleanest backgrounds you could imagine?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yatittle
Senior User

Re: Failed FBI Poly--Screwed for life?
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 1:11am
I seriously doubt that it will cause you a problem getting a clearance of confidential level, with your 'failed' poly with the FBI. Keep in mind that most places use the polygraph as part of a 'whole person' process. The FBI apparently uses it as the end all be all of human existance. 

Confidential (I believe) is below secret. And even with secret, your 'failed' poly would not be an issue.

Randy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box victim3
New User

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2005 at 2:11am
Hi,
I also failed like 2 years ago, How could that affect getting hired by another federal agency? usually in the questionaires for background investigations theres a questions about poly test.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box steincj
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2005 at 8:38pm
Victim3,

I failed an FBI poly about 2 years ago as well.  I was deemed a spy.  I did try to get jobs with other agencies.  Verbally, I was told the FBI poly would be no issue, but once I filled out the application, it must have had an effect.  I never heard back from any one of them.

Shortly after failing the FBI poly, the Army (I am on inactive reserve status) forced me to submit a Periodic Reinvestigation for my TS/SCI clearance.  I disclosed averything about the FBI in my written SF86, and told everything to the investigator.  I even showed him my personal statement on this website.  

2 weeks ago, my TS/SCI was re-granted.

I guess there is no telling what the government will do.  I know that the DoD and DoJ have their own system of clearances, but one would think that they would use some sort of common method for sharing information.  I mean, if the DoJ accused me of being a spy during my time on Active Duty, why would the DoD continue my TS/SCI access?  Shouldn't there be a red flag in there somewhere?

Anyway, my point is, when it comes to our government inter-agency communication, there is no real answer.

NSAreject posted a link to HR10, which may provide future solutions to his problem:
Quote:
Congressional reform initiative for reciprocity of security 
clearances, and the establishment of a community-wide 
database for clearance denails, granting of, and 
revocations. 

For anyone, who has been denied a security clearance 
based on a polygraph, this might help, if applying for 
another agency.  Especially, see sections 5073 an 5074: 

http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/library/congress/2004_rpt/hr-10.htm

It's good reading.

Chris

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NSAreject
Senior User

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2005 at 1:11am
steincj,

That says alot about the DoD/DSS - just be honest
with them, and they are very fair.  I have heard, that
they take the polygraph, "with a grain of salt".  I
thought that I was screwed also, after going through
some difficult times, but got cleared through the CIA
and DoD.  I guess there is life, after NSA.  I'm glad, that
the link was useful...

I just found something useful, buried on this site, about
polygraphs and security clearances:

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/security-clearances.shtml

and

http://www.taonline.com/securityclearances/DoDDirective5210_48.pdf

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2005 at 6:20pm by NSAreject »  

IP Logged

Failed FBI Poly--Screwed for life?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X