Normal Topic LAPD Drug Policy (Read 12412 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wannabe
New User

LAPD Drug Policy
Feb 3rd, 2005 at 7:35pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I want to apply to the LAPD, however, I tried Ecstasy 3 years ago. It was a very DUMB mistake. The reasons why I tried it are irrevelant. I made the choice, as foolish as it was, and I accept responsibility for my error in judgement. My question is, will this ruin my chances of being hired by LAPD? I am not a liar and would not try to lie or employ countermeasures to try to this one slip by. If this will ruin my chances then so be it. My dilemma is that LAPD does not state their drug policy and I would not want this information known about myself if it will disqualify me from consideration and then have that info on me out there on the record. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Re: LAPD Drug Policy
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 1:49am
Can't answer you question on the LAPD drug policy.  I can respect your desire to maintain your integrity.  But realize even if you are entirely truthful and do not use CM's you can still 'fail' or be decalared 'inconclusive' (which means the examiner wants to fail you but couldn't manipulate the charts to justify it).  Proceed with caution.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rcop
User

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 7:32am
If I recall, LAPD on its recruitment website has a pre-applicant questionaire that will tell you after completion if you meet the backround requirements.  Based on what I have been told from others, which may or may not be 100% correct, your prior Ectasy use would probably disqualify you from LAPD employment.  However, every department has its own standards re: past drug use.  Good luck.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 7:59am
Thanks. I think you are probabaly right. I've talked to some people in the know and I am going to just forget the whole thing rather than subject myself to the whole process only to be rejected because of one error in judgement a long time ago. It's unfortunate when you consider some of the very bad cops that got on the force like Raphael Perez and the damage they have done to the reputation of the department as well as the city of Los Angeles and those they victimized in the process and I cannot get hired... Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rcop
User

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 10:28am
Wannabe,

Don't be too hard on yourself. Remember, every department has its own standards re: prior drug use.  Just because you may not meet LAPD's standards does not mean another department would not hire you.  I have a friend who tried cocaine in the early 80s, was honest about it and was disqualified by the the LAPD.  After sponsoring himself through an academy, he ended up getting hired by another agency in Southern California. It may end up that you will need to sponsor yourself through an academy.  If you have a job, there are extended academies that meet two evenings a week and all day Saturday.  If you really want it, keep on trying.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 6:07pm
Thanks rcop!

Actually I want to join the reserves and other agencies are too far away....

IP Logged

LAPD Drug Policy

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X