Normal Topic Lawsuits against LE agency? (Read 4854 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hwsternfan
User

Lawsuits against LE agency?
Feb 8th, 2005 at 8:26pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Can the moderator advise if anyone has sued a LE agency for not hiring them because of the polygraph and won? 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Re: Lawsuits against LE agency?
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 9:05pm
hwsternfan

I can not answer you question however, I think you ought to give it a try. I am not a lawyer but,  if anyone officially called me a liar, which polygraphers do when they DQ you, I would make them prove it in a court of law. More so if it costs me a career. I assume you can can prove you didn't lie. The burden of proof would be on them though.

If you can't afford a lawyer, you can do it it yourself (pro se). There are "self help legal groups" out there to assist you. I think the venue here is Federal Court because, to me, this is unfair and corrupt labor practice. It is also character assasination in conjunction with employment. You are also blacklisted because if you apply to another Department, the polygrapher will. more than likely, ask you if you have ever had a polygraph. You either have to lie and take a chance or tell them yes. When you say yes, the Dept. that DQed you will respond to the reference check and shoot you out of the saddle.

It costs $150 to file in Federal Court.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2005 at 12:41pm
Personally I have not heard of this occuring, it may have resulted in the applicant being given the opportunity to test again, but if anyone has ever heard of a case like this I would greatly appreciate the details such as name of the case, court in which the disposition was made etc.

I have only heard of officers suing after losing employment because of an IA investigation and the polygraph being used to dismiss them.  All of them went nowhere, no reinstatement.  The cases that were successful were when the officer lawyered up prior to his having to take the polygraph.

I have said this a million times and will continue to do so.

Always get a lawyer.  Criminals use them successfully on a daily basis and there is absolutely no reason that LE officers should not also contact them.   The belief that you are innocent and having nothing to hide will often be what gets the good cop "screwed".  While IA is usally there to make sure nothing happened and clear the officer's name, we must always remember that the IA investigator is a HUMAN and subject to all the flaws that make us such a wonderful species.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

User

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 10:16pm
Thanks for the information because i am currently in law enforcement and the agency I am currently being investigated with has a poly.  I just don't want to get jammed up because I have heard rumors they try to get you fired with your prior agency if you fail.  I was curious to the legal options if they try to jam me up.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 1:10am
hwsternfan

Surely the dept., for which you are now applying, would not do that. They are bound to be smart enough to know they would be opening  themselves up to a lawsuit they would definately loose. I'll bet t

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 1:12am
Sorry. I hit the wrong key.

I'll be you wouldn't have any trouble finding a federal lawyer to take that one.

IP Logged

User

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 2:19am
Thanks for the information.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 11:44am
Actually, this all depends on the agency for which you are applying and whether or not they have you sign a release of liability for the BI.   

I am sure you could still try and sue, but for the most part agencies have become quite good at the CYA factor of the BI.   

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

User

Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 11:28am
I never signed a release for either agency.  I did sign a statement that says I tried pot one time when I was 20 and the dates are the same on both statements for both departments.  Otherwise I am clean.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nunyun
Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 9:56am
get a lawyer and see what happens

IP Logged

User

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 8:22pm
Well, I have not taken the poly yet.....but I have been warned by my delegate that they like to jam up cops.  I was told if they accused me of lying that I should not admit to anything during the test and I should be ok.  Maybe I am just overly paranoid.

IP Logged

Lawsuits against LE agency?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X