Normal Topic Background Investigation (Read 6967 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AlmostHalo
New User

Background Investigation
Jan 11th, 2005 at 11:43am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am just curious to know how a background investigation works.  I am assuming the look at arrest records and call previous employers, but do they interview people and what not? If so do you provide a list of refrences?  any info will be helpful thanks!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: Background Investigation
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2005 at 3:40pm
This varies greatly from department to department.  Some will actually send out an investigator to make face to face contact with prior employers and references, while others rely on the phone and written letters/ questionaiires about you.

NCIC/ Fingerprint checks are pretty much used for all departments.

It all depends on who you are applying with.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box alice
User

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 5:10am
what about credit report, does that hurt an applicant if there are things that havent been paid due to be in college for seven years, student loans in deferment now..but stuff on there needing to be paid and also have good stuff paid on time..

if arrested and charge dismissed for theft of money can that be used against me since no conviction/

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyscam
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 5:59am
Quote:
what about credit report, does that hurt an applicant if there are things that havent been paid due to be in college for seven years, student loans in deferment now..but stuff on there needing to be paid and also have good stuff paid on time.. 

if arrested and charge dismissed for theft of money can that be used against me since no conviction/ 

A credit report may vary well hinder an applicant.  Agencies look to credit reports to help determine responsibility.  Bad credit may equal lack of responsibility.

A dismissed charge should be reported on you background packet.  Be sure to provide a copy of the court's dismissal to the agency.  Since the charge was dismissed it should only be the formality of providing the court documentation proving dismissal.

IP Logged

User

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 6:17pm
those requests have to be in writing? It will take time to get the two..esp since one was 30 yrs ago and the other 20 yrs ago...what do I do about having the docs when i go to background next week?

isnt the fact that having been in school the last ten years and no income reasonable to understand about any credit deficiencies, esp since I have a few good ones over the last 2 years?

IP Logged

User

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 8:13am
Well, I should have looked at my credit report before I bothered anyone with the question..

Pulled it and only a couple of negatives ..and many postives...

thanks all...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yatittle
Senior User

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 7:59pm
alice wrote on Apr 3rd, 2005 at 8:13am:
Well, I should have looked at my credit report before I bothered anyone with the question..

Pulled it and only a couple of negatives ..and many postives...

thanks all...

It isn't really a matter of having bad credit or good credit. If you have good credit, then no problem. If you have a bad credit, then they will look at the severity of the bad credit. Then they will look at what you have done, proactively, to resolve the bad credit.

Two people with 20,000 in debt on credit cards can be judged differently, if one has met with creditors and working out a payment plan, and the other has said F it, I'll just file bankruptcy.

It is not only responsibility, but character that is judged. Someone who looks to 'right a wrong' or take responsibility to resolve the issue is much more valuable in law enforcement than someone who does wrong and doesn't care either way.

Randy

IP Logged

User

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2005 at 6:41am
oh yes...the place i owed 2k to has my calls annoted to work on paying..

rest are student loans in deferment and consolidation

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2005 at 7:12am
Credit history is an important determinant in background investigations, and rightfully so. Agencies put tremendous stock in credit reports because they are an indicator of responsibility, which is one of the most important desirable traits in a law enforcement officer.

Still, good background investigators are not making decisions simply based on FICO scores. They are looking at what credit has been used for and what attempts (if any) were made to pay them money back.

One of the most sure-fire ways to get yourself disqualified for credit issues is to open up a bunch of credit cards at a time when you have no real income (college, etc.) maxing them out at bars, Abercrombie, and Structure, and making no attempts whatsoever to pay the bills.

In contrast, you can also have an applicant with bad credit that stems from a situation where he had two kids, is working two jobs, and has a bunch of late payments on his report. 

The former situation is sure to be viewed in a far more negative light than the latter.

If you are in the former situation, the first thing you should do is get a copy of your credit report and pay any debts you owe. This is the first step in cleaning up your credit. Most agencies will overlook a majority of credit situations as long as they are far enough in the past and you paid the debts and did everything possible to clean up your credit.

Also, do not get sucked into hiring an expensive credit repair service. You can do just as much as these people can yourself—just look around on the Web for info on government (i.e. not commercial) sites.

Lastly, some employers (especially intelligence agencies) look at high debt (even if your credit is flawless) as a potential DQ. The logic is that applicants in serious debt will not be able to get out of it with the employer’s salary alone, making the applicant a possible bribery target.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nunyun
Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2005 at 8:14pm
The one thing none of you hit on is the fact that bad credit or a high debt ratio could lead to the potential for taking a bribe if put in the right circumstance or the old "drug bust with the 50 grand lying on the table and you are the first responding officer"  what would you do?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yatittle
Senior User

Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2005 at 3:43am
Having high debt is not, in itself, a reason to think someone is at risk of being bought off, or at risk of taking money during a drug bust. 

I would argue that having high debt and not doing anything to resolve it (working with creditors, changing spending habits) is what makes having high debt more of a possible reason for someone to be at risk of being bought off or stealing money.

No one is perfect. Having debt could be because you were in an accident, divorce, or other unforeseen event. If you work to resolve it, that is extremely important and can heavily mitigate a sticky situation.

Randy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nunyun
Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Apr 10th, 2005 at 5:03am
well unfortunately in so cal that is one thing that is frowned on and being bought off, or the risk of, is one reason for a DQ........

That comes from IA.......

IP Logged

User

Reply #12 - Apr 11th, 2005 at 5:20pm
i looked at new credit report today
only 2 small amts wrote off...one for 2,000 owed and arranging payments and 2 small ones..totalling 300 for accident that has a claim against a small school which is being worked on now and then student loans which consolidated and deferred and not negative..

so i do not think that is bad...passed poly..BG started..

IP Logged

User

Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2005 at 8:24pm
just talked to BI...said bout done...only took 2 wks...just has to check with neighbors and references ..
then I am clear...

IP Logged

Background Investigation

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X