Normal Topic Does NSA really do the R/I test? (Read 9735 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box martjacobs6
New User

Does NSA really do the R/I test?
Jan 5th, 2005 at 3:46am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
George, et al,

Please confirm the type of polygraph test that NSA does for employment screening.   
Is it probable-lie or relevant/irrelevant?
I have read conficting answeres to this question.
How does one perform countermeasures in a relevant/irrelevant test?
There are no control/comparison questions?
Does anyone have an exact list of NSA questions?
I am not sure if the information in the DoDPI document applies to NSA.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Does NSA really do the R/I test?
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 7:07am
Yes, the NSA uses the relevant/irrelevant technique. To the best of my knowledge, the NSA is the only federal agency that still uses the R&I technique as its primary one, though other agencies use it as a back-up. Information on the R&I technique is provided at pp. 115-19 of the 3rd edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. Countermeasures to it are discussed at p. 152.

Questions asked will be similar to those listed in this DoDPI instructional worksheet:

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/dodpi-relevant-irrelevant.shtml

For additional discussion of th R&I technique, see the message thread, Passing NSA relevant/irrelevant test?

On a final note, be aware that NSA polygraph examiners also read this message board. If your name really is "Mart Jacobs," you have left yourself little choice but to adopt the "complete honesty" approach outlined in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. Explain to your polygrapher that you've researched polygraphy and mention that you have posted here. It is to be hoped that you won't be subjected to retaliation for having done so.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NSAreject
Senior User

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 2:28am
Mart,

I also hope you didn't post your real name; 
nevertheless, they will still ask you, if you have
visited any anti-polygraph type of Internet sites.  You 
will receive instructions from your SSO to park at 
"Cardiac Hill", but park at the airport parking next to
FANX1 (it's a long, degrading walk from "Caridac Hill",
next to a busy street, plus it's impossible to find 
parking).   Watch out for the good guy/bad guy routine
(read the DoDPI Interrogation Handbook).  One time,
they tried to get me to lie on a control question
(probable lie control test), but I refused, so he
PRETENDED to get mad, slammed down his fist on the
table, and shouted, "test over !".   Once you figure out
their routine, you wil see what a bunch of clowns they 
are.  If you have a security clearance, and get denied
by NSA, that may affect your current clearance, or any
future clearances.  If you want to work in a dysfunctional
environment, then go for it, but my advise is to stay the
Hell away.  The DoD investigators are very fair and
professional, as long as, you are honest with them. 
Applying for a TS/SCI/Poly position, puts you into that
dysfunctional/abusive system, unless you go for a
non-poly TS/SCI position (DIA, DoD, NGA, some CIA, etc.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box GoodNurse
New User

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 4:39am
Early next week I have my pre-employment "lifestlye" (I assume) poly at NSA.  After reading a number of materials (posts, pdf's, statements) on the NSA's process, I am anxious about the upcoming experience.  Plus, one of my girlfriends just did this processing (she was applying for a summer position, while I'm going for full-time -- but it sounds like it will be the same 2 day affair) and she is really shaken up.  This only adds to my anxiety.

A few specific ?'s ....

1) Can anyone who has taken NSA's poly very recently re-confirm that they are still doing R/I? (in addition to being shaken up, my friend is taking the whole thing really seriously and won't say)

2) Can those who have both passed NSA's poly, as well as those experts like George, skeptic, and others, please clearly state whether or not to make any admissions? (see my personal "bio" below)  There is some ambiguity in various threads about this.

3) If the answer to question 2 is any sort of yes, please suggest when and to what.

4) Without control ?'s to look for, how/when specifically should any CM's be employed?

5) Has anyone heard of, or had experience with, probing personal (i.e. sexual, etc) questions during NSA's poly?

I've NEVER done/sold/touched drugs of any kind.  I've NEVER been arrested (in fact, the first time I was ever inside a police station was to fill out my fingerprint card) or even charged with any crime -- other than speeding.  Wink  Sure, I take pens and paper from work home with me sometimes.  Sure, I tell my boyfriend that he looks like he's lost weight even when he's his usual pudgy self.  Sure, when I was younger I told my parents that I was going to a girlfriend's house when I was actually meeting a boy.  But nothing major at all, ever.  I'm a squeaky clean girl!

I wasn't sweating this poly at all until I read this site and other items that led me to believe that the examiners are subjective (rather than objective) and that many "clean" people fail.

Thanks in advance for your timely (and specific/detailed) help.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 10:16am
GoodNurse wrote on Mar 1st, 2005 at 4:39am:
1) Can anyone who has taken NSA's poly very recently re-confirm that they are still doing R/I? (in addition to being shaken up, my friend is taking the whole thing really seriously and won't say)

NSA has been using the R/I technique as its primary one for more than 50 years. AntiPolygraph.org has received no information indicating any recent change.

Quote:
2) Can those who have both passed NSA's poly, as well as those experts like George, skeptic, and others, please clearly state whether or not to make any admissions? (see my personal "bio" below)  There is some ambiguity in various threads about this.

While I think that applicants for positions that require polygraph screening have an ethical obligation to answer relevant questions truthfully, there is no obligation to provide a laundry list of everything one has ever done that may be a source of embarrassment, shame, or regret.

No matter how truthfully you initially answer questions, you can expect to be accused of at least "having problems," if not outright lying, and to be pressed for admissions. It may thus be helpful to have some pre-planned explanation for why you might have reacted to any question. One should be careful not to say anything that could be twisted into a damaging admission. See pp. 152-54 of the 3rd edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for more in this regard.

Quote:
3) If the answer to question 2 is any sort of yes, please suggest when and to what.

Please see the reference cited above.

Quote:
4) Without control ?'s to look for, how/when specifically should any CM's be employed?

Countermeasures to the R/I technique are briefly discussed at p. 152 of the 3rd edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. The purpose of applying countermeasures by augmenting reactions to a different pair of relevant questions during each question series is to prevent reactions to any one relevant question from standing out in relation to the others. As you will recall, the R/I technique is scored by looking for consistent, specific, and significant ("con-spec-nificant") reactions to a particular relevant question.

It may also be beneficial to augment reactions to any announcement of the beginning and/or end of the examination, as these may be used as a kind of "control" stimulus.

I think that in the R/I technique, behavioral countermeasures (appearing honest) and having a plausible, non-damaging explanation for any alleged "reactions" are probably more important than physical countermeasures.

Quote:
5) Has anyone heard of, or had experience with, probing personal (i.e. sexual, etc) questions during NSA's poly?

One NSA applicant reports having been pressed to admit to being a homosexual. See the statement of "NSA Reject".

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box applicant123
New User

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 7:47am
George,

What would be some examples of good explanations to any alleged 'reactions' during the exam?  Admit a small misdeed that's related to the topic but not damaging?  Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 7:59am
You'll find three examples at p. 153 of the 3rd edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Does NSA really do the R/I test?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X